Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:02:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powercoin 51% Attack  (Read 963 times)
bonsai99 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:51:00 AM

"BigVern @cryptsy
It appears there was in fact a 51% attack on powercoin around the 15th/16th.  The individual responsible came from a China IP address"

Wow, I'm glad I sold my Powercoins when I did!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
noel

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 02:24:03 AM

lol I never got on this one so I guess someone has TURN off the power and left the miners in the dark [if you have coins I would keep them... why?? one word BQC power may bounce back]

My Bitcoin Address is 1A2WeFuxL2WuyoqNAYqKx4P2a5YieYaunp

Donate Please.
CaptainPicard

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 08:33:15 AM

What does this mean for coin holders?  Is Cryptsy going to be covering the losses, or are they still solvent?
austins

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 08:40:10 AM

"BigVern @cryptsy
It appears there was in fact a 51% attack on powercoin around the 15th/16th.  The individual responsible came from a China IP address"

May I know where to sell Powercoins ?

CaptainPicard

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:03:44 AM

"BigVern @cryptsy

May I know where to sell Powercoins ?

No exchange lists powercoins.  It apparently suffered a 51% attack.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:23:08 AM

What does this mean for coin holders?  Is Cryptsy going to be covering the losses, or are they still solvent?

Why would cryptsy cover the loses? Powercoin holders took the risk of dealing in something so unstable. They are the ones that 'cover' the losses.

more or less retired.
CaptainPicard

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:56:42 AM

Why would cryptsy cover the loses? Powercoin holders took the risk of dealing in something so unstable. They are the ones that 'cover' the losses.

Well they did give the all-clear and started trading Powercoin again after it was known that a 51% attack had taken place.  They were exchanging coins that didn't even exist. 
NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:06:06 AM

No one should be blaming Paul or anyone else at Crypsty, it is the individual in China who thought it would be funny to fuck with people's lives. He is attacking not only PowerCoin but the whole crypto community and I would hate to see someone else's work fall victim to this guys power trips since he obviously lacks it in his own life.
temor

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:21:06 AM

No one should be blaming Paul or anyone else at Crypsty, it is the individual in China who thought it would be funny to fuck with people's lives. He is attacking not only PowerCoin but the whole crypto community and I would hate to see someone else's work fall victim to this guys power trips since he obviously lacks it in his own life.

What you on about lol? Destroying these shitcoins one by one is the only way to stop this altcoin-pandemic. We can't have 65 new coins popping up every day stealing money from unsuspecting gold diggers. These coins are nothing but a scam.
They come out of nowhere and their prices shoot sky high, so that the ones who jumped on early can trade them in for actually valuable currencies and then they die, and everyone stupid enough to invest in it gets nothing.

It's happened too many times to count now, so I welcome this 51% attack, and hope there is many, many more to come.

Please make a post in my Reputation Thread if we've had a successful trade.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:39:02 AM

Some cleanup would be useful indeed but such attacks could be damaging for the entire cryptocurrency "industry". So, carefully with that axe mate Smiley.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:41:40 AM

He is attacking not only PowerCoin but the whole crypto community
Absolutely not.
He proved that a shit coin can't be sold higher than a shit price. Otherwise someone will fuck with it.
So he didn't attack Bitcoin.
So he didn't attack "the whole crypto community".

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:52:03 AM

What you on about lol? Destroying these shitcoins one by one is the only way to stop this altcoin-pandemic. We can't have 65 new coins popping up every day stealing money from unsuspecting gold diggers. These coins are nothing but a scam.
They come out of nowhere and their prices shoot sky high, so that the ones who jumped on early can trade them in for actually valuable currencies and then they die, and everyone stupid enough to invest in it gets nothing.

It's happened too many times to count now, so I welcome this 51% attack, and hope there is many, many more to come.

idiot.  you don't realize what you are asking for and how much damage it will do to crytos and LTC specifically.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:55:44 AM

idiot.  you don't realize what you are asking for and how much damage it will do to crytos and LTC specifically.

Meh, there's a Bitcoin bagholder troll in every alt-coin thread.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:22:48 PM

I think it will do negative damage. Negative as in it will make serious coins like Litecoin and Bitcoin look even Better and more secure. These sort of attacks will only go on to prove how important reaching network effect is. I'm generally against destroying people's work, although I start to warm up to the darwinian perspective that someone people profess.

more or less retired.
bonsai99 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:28:01 PM

Official statement from NWO
Just an official statement that PowerCoin PWC did suffer a 51% by an individual from a Chinese IP. I just wanted to clarify the rumours and to thank the community for their continued support over the months. What a journey it has been!  Grin

From this point forward PowerCoin will cease to exist. I will be in talks with Paul (BigVern) about a resolution for funds in cryptsy.

Let it be known that this was not only an attack on PowerCoin, but an attack on the crypto community. Who are we to dictate which coin lives or dies, the markets and the people will determine a future online currency. Just how Bitcoin is an experiment for something even greater to stand upon it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: