Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:27:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe not to pay miners fee?  (Read 312 times)
Mrwinson93 (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 02:54:47 PM

I want to transfer my btc from Luno exchange to my Electrum wallet. In Luno there is no option to change the miner fee and it will pay the default dymanic fee of 0.0028 btc (around $20) which I think is too high.

If I just go ahead and send the full amount of btc I have in Luno to my Electrum address, in other words, I don't pay the mining fee. Is it safe to do it? I don't mind waiting for 1 day to get confirmation, as long as my btc isn't lost somewhere I am okay.
consar

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 03:36:20 PM

your btc won't be delivered unless you pay a fee. 0.0028 btc is too much but your transaction will be returned after some time if you don't pay a fee.
falafelnut

Activity: 44
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 03:39:17 PM

You should pay miners, otherwise no BTC
Mrwinson93 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 04:14:41 PM

your btc won't be delivered unless you pay a fee. 0.0028 btc is too much but your transaction will be returned after some time if you don't pay a fee.

Is sending only 0.00001 btc enough instead of the dynamic fee of 0.0028 btc? 
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 04:25:27 PM

If I just go ahead and send the full amount of btc I have in Luno to my Electrum address, in other words, I don't pay the mining fee.[/b]
Where is it mentioned that it would be free if you send all of your BTC from there to another BTC address? Could you give as a reference? As you've said, there is a dynamic fee and as far as I know it is what it is regardless of the amount you send UNLESS you'll be sending it to another Luno account. If they wouldn't charge you, that means they will be covering the transaction fee for you (that's unlikely to happen though if they already set dynamic fees).  Huh
Mrwinson93 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 05:13:41 PM

If I just go ahead and send the full amount of btc I have in Luno to my Electrum address, in other words, I don't pay the mining fee.[/b]
Where is it mentioned that it would be free if you send all of your BTC from there to another BTC address? Could you give as a reference? As you've said, there is a dynamic fee and as far as I know it is what it is regardless of the amount you send UNLESS you'll be sending it to another Luno account. If they wouldn't charge you, that means they will be covering the transaction fee for you (that's unlikely to happen though if they already set dynamic fees).  Huh

In another forum, one member stated 'There is a way to send BTC without any fee from Luno, that is to send all and don't leave any balance. Fee is charged if you have balance on Luno'
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

This really depends on the memory pool, when it is/ would be almost empty, you could get a confirm within 1-3 days.

Unfortunately for you, it is currently absurdly high, there's a backlog of over 200k transactions i believe. See https://blockchain.info/charts/mempool-size?

You could try it, but i doubt it that your TX will get confirmed.

Mrwinson93 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:30:28 AM

This really depends on the memory pool, when it is/ would be almost empty, you could get a confirm within 1-3 days.

Unfortunately for you, it is currently absurdly high, there's a backlog of over 200k transactions i believe. See https://blockchain.info/charts/mempool-size?

You could try it, but i doubt it that your TX will get confirmed.

I just tried that and it took me only 17 minutes to get 1 confirmation! I basically only pay 0.0000444 btc (around $USD 0.30). I guess because the address sends to 4 different address at the same time, so other people pay more in mining fees.
ikilledcobain

Activity: 446
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:26:30 PM

I just tried paying a $1 fee on about $130 in btc yesterday and it still hasn't been confirmed. I'm not in any rush, but I didn't feel like paying $10 or so. We'll see if it actually gets confirmed or not. At least btc has gone up in price while it's been sitting there.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
lazcemal

Activity: 126

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:28:01 PM

check https://bitcoinfees.earn.com/ for estimated times and prices.
Ertetert

Activity: 98

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 03:25:38 PM

Miners fee are determined on a competitive basis. You can set commission as low as you want but if there is a steady flow of new transfer requests with higher commission then your request will never be processed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: