Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:03:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloadable MtGox Historical Candles  (Read 7903 times)
whydifficult (OP)

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 12:32:55 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2013, 11:21:53 PM by whydifficult

I am working on backtesting for my trade bot Gekko and I created a simple script to calcuate candles on MtGox data. This script will output a csv file with all candles. Nitrous has created a great tool which can download all trade data and calculate candles based on this trade data. Check it out in the Mt. Gox data downloader thread.

Downloadable candles

I've ran the script myself for a couple of candle durations on a couple of markets, here are the download links:

Hourly

4 Hourly

Daily

Other timeframes (provided by Nitrous)

Calculate your own candles

EDIT2:

If you have a copy of Microsoft excel you can use the data from Bitcoincharts to create your own candles for a number of exchanges and makets. Read the whole method here. (big thanks to TradesLikeAPotato)

EDIT:

Nitrous has created a great tool which can download all trade data and calculate candles based on this trade data. Check it out in the Mt. Gox data downloader thread. If you want to use my older script here is the howto:

You can also use the script to calculate your own candles (for example: weekly, daily, 4hourly, 15min, 5 min, 1min, 514 seconds, etc. candles):

The simple script requires a local copy of a database with MtGox trades. To download this database you should use Nitrous' excellent trade data downloader.

Once you have this database:

• Install nodejs
  • Install npm (you can skip this on Windows and OS X if you used the installers)
  • Download the script and put it somewhere close to database dump (from the trade data downloader).
  • Go to the directory in command line or terminal.
  • Open candleCalculator.js in a texteditor and edit the candle vars to your needs (adjust the startTime, endTime and candleDuration)* also check to see if `mtgoxDump` points to the correct file (it is as long as it's called dump.sql and is in the same directory)
  • type in: npm install moment underscore sqlite-wrapper
  • type in: node candleCalculator.js
  • watch it go! Once every 10 candles it will write them to the csv file (candles-[script start timestamp].csv).

Notes:

• It is advised to index the date column (Money_Trade__) of the database before you start calculating candles. This will extremely speed up the time it takes to calculate the candles: without it takes 40+ hours on my VPS (with SSD) and with it it takes less than 5 minutes to calculate all  hourly USD candles.
  • As of now the script will report the following OHCL for a candle that did not have any trades: open: NaN, high: -Infinity, low: Infinity, close: NaN. If you don't want them strip them out after run or add a simple check at line 48.

*If you're not sure how to edit the dates and durations please see the docs of momentjs.

Gekko a nodejs bitcoin trading bot!
Realtime Bitcoin Globe - visualizing all transactions and blocks
Tip jar (BTC): 1KyQdQ9ctjCrGjGRCWSBhPKcj5omy4gv5S

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
whydifficult (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 09:01:17 PM

I've added download links to all USD hourly candles (16k+) and all daily candles for USD and EUR (600+).

If you need the CSV files structured differently let me know.

RagnarDanneskjold

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 07:30:40 AM

Very cool. I will use this.

git  |  | ID
'Bitcoin is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage’s whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Bitcoin is the process of setting man free from men'
pulsecat

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 08:51:06 AM

I'm wondering what is common practice for handling missing candles? For sure, the candlestick generator can simply ignore them, but wouldn't it cause errors when data is fed to technical analysis/charts algorithms?

CryptoTrader.org - Cloud-based Automated Trading on Bitstamp/BTC-E/CEX.IO/Bitfinex/Kraken | Discussion topic at Bitcointalk.org | Automated Trading Contest (Prize 2 BTC)
whydifficult (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 09:33:04 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2013, 12:02:17 PM by whydifficult

I'm wondering what is common practice for handling missing candles? For sure, the candlestick generator can simply ignore them, but wouldn't it cause errors when data is fed to technical analysis/charts algorithms?

That's a good question. I am building a list of candle files so they can be used to backtest with Gekko, not sure how Gekko will solve this yet. Also not sure how to do TA on candles with gaps. Luckely the USD market has a lot of liquidity, so I guess this won't make much of a difference.

I don't know how charting software normally deals with it but I now emitted the lines from the files. If someone runs into trouble running this and needs special syntax for gaps just let me know and I will re run the script.

whydifficult (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 11:02:55 AM

Gekko uses these candles when you want to backtest. this is how I solved it for now:

When there are missing candles Gekko will act as if the whole duration of the missing candle never happened.

daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:30:31 AM

I wondered if this script could be used to visualize trades in a phonegap app?

whydifficult (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 09:37:24 AM

I wondered if this script could be used to visualize trades in a phonegap app?

The script outputs plain numbers to a text file. I guess this data could be used to serve as input for some graphing library. I would suggest to rewrite it to output JSON instead of csv though, or you could convert it to something else after running it.

I'm going to update the script soon to also include volume (and thus store as OHLCV candles).

medji

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:17:02 PM

I think that if during a time period there are no trades then the open,close,high,low is equal to the previous period close price.
This chart was during the time mtgox was down for a few days, and its just as I described.
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg360zigDailyzczsg2011-06-10zeg2011-07-05ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:31:39 PM

Anyone taken the time to calculate 30-min and/or 15-min candle .CSV's (in the same format as whydifficult provided in his OP) for this dataset and care to share with the group? Thanks in advance.
nitrous

Activity: 246

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 09:15:07 AM

Nice work Smiley Just a heads up - your JPY data is off by a factor of 100. See https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/MtGox/API#Number_Formats for the constants you need to divide each currency by.

Anyone taken the time to calculate 30-min and/or 15-min candle .CSV's (in the same format as whydifficult provided in his OP) for this dataset and care to share with the group? Thanks in advance.

Epoch, my GUI tool (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=221055.msg2669142#msg2669142) has a port of WhyDifficult's script and you can then calculate any candles you want (export, set currency, set formatter to CSV Candle [Unix], set candle duration in seconds, don't include volume). If there are a few specific ones you're interested in though I could maybe do them for you Smiley

I think that if during a time period there are no trades then the open,close,high,low is equal to the previous period close price.
This chart was during the time mtgox was down for a few days, and its just as I described.
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg360zigDailyzczsg2011-06-10zeg2011-07-05ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv

In my same tool, you can turn Don't include missing candle data off and get the data the way you want.

Donations: 1Q2EN7TzJ6z82xvmQrRoQoMf3Tf4rMCyvL
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation: https://bitbucket.org/nitrous/mtgox-api/overview
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation Forum Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164404.0
Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 02:46:57 PM

Nitrous, I did try your GUI tool (nice initiative, BTW), downloaded the MtGox data (638kB .sql file), but the tool crashes for me when I try to export to CSV.

I'll try out your next released version, but in the meantime if you happen to have 1800-second and 900-second CSVs (for gekko) that you could post it would keep me occupied until then.  Wink
dirtscience

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:36:01 PM

Thanks for the information.
nitrous

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:06:12 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2013, 08:04:57 PM by nitrous

Nitrous, I did try your GUI tool (nice initiative, BTW), downloaded the MtGox data (638kB .sql file), but the tool crashes for me when I try to export to CSV.

I'll try out your next released version, but in the meantime if you happen to have 1800-second and 900-second CSVs (for gekko) that you could post it would keep me occupied until then.  Wink

Oh yes, sorry I forgot you posted in the other thread Tongue I've released a new version, and I'm about to generate those CSVs for USD. I'll update this post when I've done that.

Edit:

USD/900 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1760961/Candles/USD-900-Unix-novolume.csv
USD/1800 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1760961/Candles/USD-1800-Unix-novolume.csv

The tool does now index the databases, so it didn't take 48 hours, but I guess because I didn't do it on a VPS it took 50 minutes instead of 5 for each.

MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation: https://bitbucket.org/nitrous/mtgox-api/overview
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation Forum Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164404.0
whydifficult (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 09:18:08 PM

The tool does now index the databases, so it didn't take 48 hours, but I guess because I didn't do it on a VPS it took 50 minutes instead of 5 for each.

Thanks! I changed the OP and the topic name to reflect that it hosts a list of downloadable candles (I also included yours, let me know if you mind). I've pointed to your tool for everyone looking for a calculator. I still need some time to check it out by the way.

The 5 minutes was on a VPS with an SSD, so that boost in IO probably did speed it up a lot.

nitrous

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 11:46:17 PM

Thanks! I changed the OP and the topic name to reflect that it hosts a list of downloadable candles (I also included yours, let me know if you mind). I've pointed to your tool for everyone looking for a calculator. I still need some time to check it out by the way.

The 5 minutes was on a VPS with an SSD, so that boost in IO probably did speed it up a lot.

I don't mind Smiley At the moment there are still some bugs with the tool, especially on windows 7, but hopefully I'll finally have a working cross-platform build sometime tomorrow, so there's no pressure to check it out yet Wink

Edit: btw, those are 900s and 1800s, not minutes!

Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 04:38:41 AM

Appreciate the links ... didn't see them the first time I read the post!
TradesLikeAPotato

Activity: 41

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:40:35 PM

I just created a new topic with another technique to getting candles:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277704.new#new
whydifficult (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 11:17:59 PM

I just created a new topic with another technique to getting candles:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277704.new#new

That's awesome! I've added this link to the OP.

--

On a sidenote, I am working on my own platform which will offer candles for a lot of different exchanges / markets in a similar format as the candles above. If you want to get notified you can signup on our website:

wizbit

TradesLikeAPotato

Activity: 41

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 01:14:13 AM

I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, the candles I'm downloading seem to have a slight variation from the ones you've calculated, leading to completely different backtesting results. Would you mind taking a look when you get a chance? I'm not sure where the variation stems from.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: