Bitcoin Forum
December 14, 2017, 08:59:19 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: pywallet install help  (Read 1934 times)
morbius55

Activity: 123

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 12:20:37 AM

I think everything is installed correctly except one component which i believe to be bsddb which is mentioned on the pywallet thread as being required. At the start of my pywallet it says a mandatory component is missing so i'm thinking it is this. Thanks again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HCP

Activity: 448

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:35:55 AM

No... that just means you failed to give it a mandatory option like --wallet or --datadir or --dumpwallet etc Wink

Mine does the same thing when I just type "pywallet.py" with nothing else

If you type:
Code:
pywallet.py --version
or
Code:
pywallet.py --help

You'll notice it doesn't give you that message Wink

I'm fairly sure that bsddb is included with Python,  installed by the other components or isn't strictly required. I don't remember ever installing it separately... only the default Python 2.7... and then used the install.bat in the pywallet directory after I extracted the files.

Unless you specifically see an error message that says something like "no module named: bsddb" then I don't think it is an issue. Just try running the recovery and see what output you get.

morbius55

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 11:55:41 AM

I ran another recover but added a couple of variations on the password. This is the result i got but i have a feeling i still won't be able to run the dat file in core, or dump it like before. Notice that as it ran the recovery every one of the keys was shown on screen, but i can't scroll back to top of screen to look at them all. I tried to dump the wallet with the new python and packages installed, but it gave the same result as before. I will try to dump this result later sometime, please see screenshots below for new recovery results. Thanks. Smiley

Got recovered wallet to run with "If that doesn't work... try starting Bitcoin Core with -usehd=0 command" but i'm thinking i will have to do a rescan, how would i add that command on to core startup. Thanks. ps no rush i know your busy. Smiley (edit again!) i added rescan option and waiting for it to finish.
HCP

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:02:56 PM

I ran another recover but added a couple of variations on the password. This is the result i got but i have a feeling i still won't be able to run the dat file in core, or dump it like before. Notice that as it ran the recovery every one of the keys was shown on screen, but i can't scroll back to top of screen to look at them all. I tried to dump the wallet with the new python and packages installed, but it gave the same result as before. I will try to dump this result later sometime, please see screenshots below for new recovery results. Thanks. Smiley

Got recovered wallet to run with "If that doesn't work... try starting Bitcoin Core with -usehd=0 command" but i'm thinking i will have to do a rescan, how would i add that command on to core startup. Thanks. ps no rush i know your busy. Smiley (edit again!) i added rescan option and waiting for it to finish.

Ok, so it looks like the recovery is working the way it should... I get something similar... a MASSIVE output of all the keys/addresses etc just like your screenshot... So that is a good start Smiley

I am still not sure why your --dumpwallet command is not working tho?? Huh PyWallet created the file, I don't understand why it can't dump it out... it is very odd! Undecided Huh

Seems you may need to specify the --datadir or actually BE in the same directory as the wallet file? So maybe try:
Code:
pywallet.py --dumpwallet --wallet=C:\Users\Catherine\Downloads\pywallet\recovered_wallet_1511695449.dat --passphrase="YOUR-PASS-PHRASE" --datadir=C:\Users\Catherine\Downloads\pywallet

Anyway, hopefully that won't be necessary since you managed to get it running with the -usehd=0 command... fingers crossed the "rescan" will show *something* for all those keys/addresses. Wink

HCP

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 04:29:22 PM

Any update?

Did you manage to get the recovered wallet loaded into Bitcoin Core?

morbius55

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 04:56:02 PM

Any update?

Did you manage to get the recovered wallet loaded into Bitcoin Core?

There doesn't appear to be any funds in the wallet.dat files that I have recovered Sad. I have another hard drive to check and possibly some usb sticks he has, but it's looking like the wallet was overwritten when my brother-in-law reinstalled windows unless he used the other storage devices as well. There are a couple of litecoin wallet files on this drive, do you know what to add to the command for retrieval? I would like to thank you for helping me to figure pywallet out, and it will be very helpful for trying the remaining last chances of retrieval. If I retrieve nothing, i think this thread will be very useful for others in the same boat. Thanks again and if by a miracle I do find some coins I will definitely throw some your way. Smiley
HCP

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 06:38:08 PM

I think that Pywallet also works with the Litecoin wallets... so theoretically you can just do the same thing for the litecoin wallet files... then just load the recovered wallet.dat into Litecoin Core instead of Bitcoin Core... But don't quote me on that...

morbius55

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:52:07 PM

Just as a side note, this is the address that my brother-in-law made a copy of at the time which shows the btc.
1L5sHU4rqXnNowQ1CMQwdmSZfau9XiRo6K Cry
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.