May 07, 2024, 10:30:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should we do with dust?
Invalidate dust transactions
Relay, but do not accept, dust transactions
Accept and relay dust transactions.
Require a mandatory fee for dust transactions.
Lower the size required for a transaction to be dust.
Destroy all dust with new fork.
Not now, but someday

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Allow dust transactions in Bitcoin? (5430 satoshis or less)  (Read 5110 times)
whiskers75 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:24:34 PM

There's a lot of hate against this, so let's see what you think....

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
svbeon

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:25:15 PM

Other option: Destroy all dust with new fork.
whiskers75 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:26:18 PM

Other option: Destroy all dust with new fork.
Added!

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
royston

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:12:15 PM

one day (in the near future), when the value of bitcoin rockets to the stratosphere, you'll regret eliminating every single satoshis you ever owned.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 06:16:41 PM

An option should be: not now, but someday, of course.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:39:12 AM

So the OP seems comfortable to see this growth rate accelerate faster, but rather than have real-world consumer and business transactions, it is filled with spam dust junk.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-blockchain-grows-to-8gb/

raze

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 06:54:54 AM

Check out this blockchain size graph and tell me that you can't see the reasoning behind eliminating sub-cent transactions. Seriously, it's less than the fees you would normally send with a transaction. I'm happy with this decision.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 07:45:07 AM

I don't like them but allow them for a fee.
I can see them being useful for hash timestamping. Personally I think there are better ways - take the sha256 sum and post it in a thread on a public forum for all to see, but I don't have a problem with them being in the blockchain if someone is willing to pay the fee and a miner accepts it.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 11:43:12 AM

Crappy options are crappy.

How about 'Do not relay dust' transaction. (i like the change). Its a start to allow the community to make what is and isnt acceptable adjustable network wide by user consensus.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:55:28 PM

By eliminating dust bitcoin will stuck in the "big transactions" area and in the long run it can loose it's ability for being a widely used means of payment. In addition if its value grows high enough the amount what we today call dust could be your monthly phone bill in the future... or your monthly salary... Just remember the price of the first pizza what has been bought by using bitcoins Smiley.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:23:48 PM

- Need a "No idea" or "Just show me the results" option or else people will just click one to see the results.

- "Mandatory fee" doesn't even make sense because each miner will decide; there are ultimately no mandators in the Bitcoin world and I think this is a slight but important indicator of thinking about this in the wrong way a way that is inefficient. It makes people freak out because they think everything has to be consensus and unilateral. Really people will do what they want with dust transactions on their own terms, and the devs can only stay in their role as long as they continue to support the miners' ability to do just that. The new changes to lay the groundwork for a fee market to arise are a big step toward this.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:30:42 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2013, 04:03:11 PM by DeathAndTaxes

By eliminating dust bitcoin will stuck in the "big transactions" area and in the long run it can loose it's ability for being a widely used means of payment. In addition if its value grows high enough the amount what we today call dust could be your monthly phone bill in the future... or your monthly salary... Just remember the price of the first pizza what has been bought by using bitcoins Smiley.

You do understand that dust is linked to min tx fee on low priority txs right?  That fee has declined by a factor of 100x from 0.01 to 0.0001 BTC as the exchange rate has risen.  There is nothing to indicate this won't continue to happen.   If the tx has economical value then miners have lowered their fees to below that and thus what was previously dust is no longer dust.  Also 0.8.2 doesn't prevent the spending of dust it simply prevents (for nodes that follow the default value) the creation of dust with the current default threshold set at 54.3% of the min fee

Dust will always be dust. Low value regardless of if you measure it in fiat equivalence of the amount of goods and services which can be purchased.  They are worthless because it costs more to spend than it is worth spending.  This means (and the blockchain is good history of this) that it won't be spent and every node keeps it in the UXTO forever.  Nobody benefits, everyone pays additional overhead of being a peer. 

If you found a penny on the street but the only way to spend it was to mail it (say to your mortgage/rent holder) at a cost of $0.42?  Spend $0.43 to pay down $0.01 of your rent?  Would you?  Sure it has >0 value but seeing as it is worth less than the transaction cost if your only way to spend it was to mail at a higher cost you never would.  Now imagine everyone in the world had to keep track of the fact that you have that penny ... forever.  That is Bitcoin.

This polls like this only highlight a misconception of Bitcoin.  There is no "network" as if it is a single unified structure; the "network" is a loose association of independent nodes.  If you think the default dust threshold of 0.0543 mBTC (5430 satoshis) is too high then change the min mandatory fee required for your node to relay (and/or mine) low priority transactions.  The min mandatory fee on low priority txs in 0.8.2 is 0.1 mBTC (10,000 S).  The dust threshold is 54.3% of the min fee.  There is a reason for this as it is the relationship between the size of an input and the resulting transaction for the most common form (2 inputs, 1 output, 1 change output).  Still I wish the developers had gone with the slightly less precise but easier to explain 50% ("dust is half the min fee").  If you change the min mandatory fee for low priority transaction you can change the dust threshold.

If you run a node which has a min mandatory fee of 0.10 mBTC (10,000 S) to relay transactions CONGRATULATIONS you are using the default dust threshold of 0.0543 mBTC (5430 S)    0.1 * 54.3% = 0.0543
If you run a node which has a min mandatory fee of 0.04 mBTC ( 4,000 S) to relay transactions CONGRATULATIONS you have lowered the dust threshold to 0.02172 mBTC (2172 S)    0.04 * 54.3% = 0.02172
If you run a node which has a min mandatory fee of 0.25 mBTC (25,000 S) to relay transactions CONGRATULATIONS you have raised the dust threshold to 0.1629 mBTC (16,290 S)    0.25 * 54.3% = 0.1629
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:36:51 PM

a miner should have the choice to relay or not relay any transaction they choose and at any price they choose. yes I realize that dust is not technically prohibited. but it is also a dangerous targeting of a once successful bitcoin business. additionally, would this spamming of the block chain increase fees for everyone, and therefore increase revenue for miners, thereby increasing the security of the block chain and reducing the network deficit?
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:40:28 PM

additionally, the argument that it costs more to spend than the transaction is worth....
you are comparing apples and oranges. one persons costs to another persons value.  additionally, there are non monetary values associated with those transactions that make it more valuable than it's face value.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:56:11 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2013, 04:11:15 PM by DeathAndTaxes

additionally, the argument that it costs more to spend than the transaction is worth....
you are comparing apples and oranges. one persons costs to another persons value.  additionally, there are non monetary values associated with those transactions that make it more valuable than it's face value.

There is a difference between the freedom of speech and the requirement of someone to listen.  If you feel dust transactions are "valuable" then simply find people who are willing to relay and mine them for you.  Problem solved.   0.8.2 simply prevents nodes who don't share the "value" of massive UXTO bloat (a cost shared by all for the benefit of a few) to not actively assist you in that goal.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 04:02:16 PM

While I don't know a huge amount about the technical stuff behind this if the 'dust' transactions are what I think they are then I think they should be kept, my reasoning being that one of Bitcoins main features are that it is easy to divide, if you restrict that then it becomes less useful and convenient. Then again, I could be entirely wrong and this is something completely different to what I'm thinking off, I was thinking that the restrictions were about people sending 0.000005 BTC amongst themselves or something.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:59:43 PM

100% in favor of invalidating all transactions below one US cent. In satoshis, that means the minimum should be regularly changed, but that isn't a problem.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:43:46 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2013, 06:00:51 PM by RandyFolds

So the OP seems comfortable to see this growth rate accelerate faster, but rather than have real-world consumer and business transactions, it is filled with spam dust junk.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-blockchain-grows-to-8gb/

Yeah, a real world banking system would never allow consumers and businesses to carry out small transactions in the denominations they want, or keep records of those transactions. They know that anything below $1000usd is just clutter. All that data is taking up too much space, damnit, and a man's gotta eat.

edit: I sort of cracked my joke without making my point...I think hard coding a lower limit to transaction size is foolish. Blockchain bloat is very real, and growing exponentially. Limiting dust txs just delays the inevitable, and doesn't address the root of the issue, which is every node needing to possess humanity's accounting. So the options are to offload blockchain hosting to a trusted entity and start central banking anew, but 1850s central banking, where they might just maybe probably skip town with all of your hard earned color, or...I am not sure what.

DeathandTaxes, my man! Long time no see. I must say, my opinion on this did change a bit after reading your post, and opened my eyes to the true scale of this explosive growth. Would you be so kind as to do a simple man such as myself the courtesy of setting me straight on the community's current plan to curb blockchain size beyond this stopgap measure? I've been away for a while (not in jail, just not on bitcointalk).
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 06:26:32 PM

It seems to me that services like coinbox.me allow you to have your cake and eat it too when it comes to tiny transactions.  Why not just go with a service like that if you are inclined to send out small transactions?  Then the recipient can just pick it up along with all his faucet earnings.
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 08:00:59 PM

I vote to Accept and relay dust transactions. Grin

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: