Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:04:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vega 56 or vega 64 for generic alt coin mining?  (Read 908 times)
mdude77 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:49:46 AM

Hello, I'm looking to add a vega to my existing mining pc that currently has a 570 in it.

Looking around I see most people reference the 56 instead of the 64.  That surprises me, as I'd expect the 64 to be the better miner? 

Does anyone know if I can run both a 570 on a vega on the same pc in windows?

Will the nicehash miner properly work with both? Smiley I don't have the time to babysit them and switch pools around and convert coins, so nicehash works real well for me.

Any recommendation on brand?  From prior experience with GPU mining I found XFX cards to be low quality.  In fact I think every one I ever used eventually had problems.  ASUS, MSI, and Sapphire seem to be good brands to me?

Thanks.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phantoms001

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:38:30 AM

You can run a mixed rig with no problem.  The 570 and a vega will run fine.  

Lots of threads on both cards.  Usually you will find that the difference in price doesn't make a big enough difference in performance mining to justify the extra cost so people go with the 56.  With prices dropping I personally think a second 570 would be a better buy.  It is a lot more work with the vega because they run around 300 watts and you have to get that down.  I can pick up 2 570s for the same price as a vega and they will out mine the vega.

I would also recommend you take a look at winminer.  You can cash out as little as 10.00 when ever you want rather than wait 2-3 weeks to get paid when NiceHash decides to pay you.  You can cash out to paypal and the fees are lower than getting your bitcoin to a exchange and selling them.  If you want to keep the coins you can cash out to bitcoin, litecoin, eth...  Soooooooooooo much better than NiceHash....

moonmaths

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 10:37:28 AM

You can flash the 64 bios onto the 56, so that's why people are getting the 56.  I've personally got a 64, because it just seemed easier and I don't have as much time as I used to.  If you find it fun and you're not doing this because you have free electricity, you should go with whatever you've got time for.  My vega rig wasn't very hard to get set up to mine at 150 or so watts.  at over 10 hashes per watt (xmr), that's a lot better than my rx480 rig is doing.  And it has been easier to set up so far. 
mdude77 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:32:08 PM

You can run a mixed rig with no problem.  The 570 and a vega will run fine.  

Lots of threads on both cards.  Usually you will find that the difference in price doesn't make a big enough difference in performance mining to justify the extra cost so people go with the 56.  With prices dropping I personally think a second 570 would be a better buy.  It is a lot more work with the vega because they run around 300 watts and you have to get that down.  I can pick up 2 570s for the same price as a vega and they will out mine the vega.

I would also recommend you take a look at winminer.  You can cash out as little as 10.00 when ever you want rather than wait 2-3 weeks to get paid when NiceHash decides to pay you.  You can cash out to paypal and the fees are lower than getting your bitcoin to a exchange and selling them.  If you want to keep the coins you can cash out to bitcoin, litecoin, eth...  Soooooooooooo much better than NiceHash....

Thank you for the info. 

I don't have payout issues with NiceHash.  What you're describing is what happens if you use an external wallet.  With their internal wallet, I get paid every day (greater than 0.001 BTC).  From there I can withdraw on demand.  And fees are 2%, instead of the 3-4% for external wallet.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
mdude77 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:33:17 PM

I also have a GTX 1070, and I like it more than my 570.  If vegas are a hassle and hot (looks like it's only one fan, or expensive water cooling), I may rearrange things and get another 1070 or 1070ti.

Thanks.

M

n00bsaibot

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:54:42 PM

I also have a GTX 1070, and I like it more than my 570.  If vegas are a hassle and hot (looks like it's only one fan, or expensive water cooling), I may rearrange things and get another 1070 or 1070ti.

Thanks.

M

I have 1070ti and looking into vega setup for the rig. From what I read so far, unless you are using water blocks they will get hot.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 11:12:43 PM

Better to not mix brands on one machine, the stability suffers quite a bit.

Also, Vega is only GOOD at Monero mining, it's pretty easily beat on a $/hash or $/watt or often BOTH basis on everything else I've seen figures for it (D.Net RC5-72 work being the ONLY other exception, but that's not really cryptocoin mining related).

My single Vega 56 doesn't run particularly hot, even though it's pushed a bit PAST it's "default TDP" currently.
 Can't speak to the 64 as I don't have any of those.

Might want to consider waiting for non-reference VEGA designs to start showing up (in theory later this month per some "prelimanary" announcements but no solid announcements yet that I've seen) if you're worried about cooling.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
preda

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 11:39:06 PM

its just me thinking that 1060 is the best choise looking for power cosnumption easy stability and price obviosly?

but know some results of new vegas cards id like to know as well
uDwcHYO

Activity: 363

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 01:16:47 AM

Vega 56 performs well on cryptonight, if properly set up, but current reference design are not very good at temperature and noise

zzz
ben8jam

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 01:25:27 AM

So much back and forth on this. Some say VEGA hands down better then 1070 TI, some say the opposite. I can't keep up.

Just ordered 4 56's so let's hope I chose the winning team!
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:40:54 AM

So much back and forth on this. Some say VEGA hands down better then 1070 TI, some say the opposite. I can't keep up.

Excellent choice.
Rashkae

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:35:12 AM

Really depends on the algo...

Vega is brutal for XMR and Ubiq for example. nVidia does well on zCash/Skein/Skunk/LBRY. Polaris does better on Eth.

So, just make sure you are mining the right algos.

Did I help you? If yes, hit me up with some Eth!
0xD6422bcFD87989cf04D7dB489B9c18b3cA95886e
faanigee

Activity: 95

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:43:43 AM

Really depends on the algo...

Vega is brutal for XMR and Ubiq for example. nVidia does well on zCash/Skein/Skunk/LBRY. Polaris does better on Eth.

So, just make sure you are mining the right algos.

yes you are right...! its depends on Algo...!!!
Lambo2020

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:43:40 PM

Might want to consider waiting for non-reference VEGA designs to start showing up (in theory later this month per some "prelimanary" announcements but no solid announcements yet that I've seen) if you're worried about cooling.

Are non-reference going to be cheaper? Right now the cheapest Vega 56 I can get is around 450 euros (tax included).
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:57:02 PM

I doubt they will be cheaper (unless the supply on the market is allot higher then what we have had with the reference models), but they will have much better quality coolers. The noise levels may not be an issue for full time mining rigs, but the heat disparity is definitely something to consider.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 10:38:34 PM

If you can find a Vega 56 at MSRP just go with it but it's going to be hard, Here I've been looking for a 56 at MSRP for over a week and no luck so far, The price of the 56 is around 520€ that's very close to the 64 price that it doesn't make a good buy right now, I was hoping of getting a deal with the black Friday week here but so far no luck.

Anyway what can one expect as a revenue from a Vega 56 or 64 mining 24h, without the electricity cost, is a better buy than say 2x RX 570 or 580 when it come to mining ?

Are non-reference going to be cheaper? Right now the cheapest Vega 56 I can get is around 450 euros (tax included).

Where ? which country ?, MSRP here is around that price, but you can't get it at that price anywhere it's always out of stock here, Unless you are willing to pay a premium it's not available.
n00bsaibot

Activity: 98

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 06:56:29 PM

Where in the world did you get that price??? Please share the wisdom on here  Grin
Basmic

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 07:08:59 PM

Where in the world did you get that price??? Please share the wisdom on here  Grin
There is no such price. I do not understand why now buy VEGA? These GPU cost the same as 2 RX 580 GPU, but in production they are smaller. I think it is more profitable to use the old GPU. No one knows what awaits us in the future and therefore has great importance to payback period of the towers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: