Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:29:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancel an unconfirmed transaction?  (Read 548 times)
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 05:55:04 AM

Hello,

Yesterday I sent an amount to a wrong address with low fee, I realized it later, is there any way to cancel it, its still showing unconfirmed?

Please help me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16599

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 07:03:36 AM

You can double spend it, see this thread where someone successfully did this with 18 Bitcoin.

Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:12:52 AM

You can double spend it, see this thread where someone successfully did this with 18 Bitcoin.

But I didn't owned that address where I sent mistakenly, how will I get those funds back?
immunity

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:37:07 AM

Unfortunately no men.you are not able to cancel Bitcoin transaction after click on sending button.i m sorry for you but you lost your money if u send money to the wrong address. Next time be cautious bro.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1221

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 07:59:51 AM

Yesterday I sent an amount to a wrong address with low fee, I realized it later, is there any way to cancel it, its still showing unconfirmed?

Unfortunately if you send bitcoins to a wrong address there is no way to cancel the transaction. Signing a transaction with your private key means that you have authorized the transaction. This is why I double and even triple check the address and the amount before I click "Send".

One thing you can do is try to contact the owner of that address. Do a google search and try to locate the address on any forum post or website and then contact the person for a return. Good luck on that.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Doctor.Strange (OP)

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:16:29 AM

Unfortunately if you send bitcoins to a wrong address there is no way to cancel the transaction. Signing a transaction with your private key means that you have authorized the transaction. This is why I double and even triple check the address and the amount before I click "Send".

One thing you can do is try to contact the owner of that address. Do a google search and try to locate the address on any forum post or website and then contact the person for a return. Good luck on that.

Some says its possible by double spend
Minermax

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:40:58 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2017, 07:53:09 AM by Minermax

Hi Miners all, I see in blockchain.info that a transaction I attempted ended up unconfirmed and unspent. I had some tokens of XIN in Infinity.coin in my account so I have been waiting for a looooooong time to bail out of that coin and the price finally gave me the break, so I sold the XIN on Infinitycoin.exchange for BTC. The BTC at first were at my XIN address but then I sent them to my own BTC address, and they showed up as if I could then do a withdrawal in BTC. So I set up the withdrawal as going to  my Gemini account. I did not see any options in Infinity to change the sending fee of the transaction so I sent it as default. When I push the send button the interface goes black with their cursor spinning around, never resolving. Ominous. So I use another browser to log in again to Infinity and the interface shows the transaction as Executed. Cool. So I login to Gemini and at first see that there is a pending transaction for the right amount awaiting confirmation, which they say will take place within 2 hours. Shortly thereafter I get a notice in the BO that all deposits and withdrawals in Gemini are suspended because of an "Extreme delay" in the blockchain. So I wait and a day or so goes by (Saturday to Monday) and I login to Gemini and lo and behold the pending transaction has disappeared. No change in account values. So I look up the hash in blockchain.info and there is the transaction along with another one seemingly unrelated but both showing as unconfirmed. The hash is d66ac6a912a8d87eefa550c33e57180b4a0433a1b392b4d2d97bb9559b995b01 The address to which the BTC were originally sent within Infinity is 1Kq5Jqx4d94DrtnHUFUguGYUV2TwmcsyiS which blockchain.info says has not received any BTC. So I don't know what is what with that information. Using the hash I see the transaction info and as being unconfirmed. Anybody have some advice on this situation? Thanks

Update! Nov. 14 about midnight I got a notification from Gemini that my deposit has been confirmed and it is good to go. They also sent me a lame answer to an email providing them with all the details they needed, asking me for them again. Lesson learned.
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 09:55:37 AM

Hello,

Please help me.

As suggested if it’s not been processed you could try and double spend them.
You’d need to be using a wallet that allows you to export the data and delete the last ‘bad’ transaction from the file.
Then you could reopen the wallet and send those coins again to a different wallet that you own. Make sure that the fee is high as you need that transaction to be processed before the other you sent (mistakenly) gets conformed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: