Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 03:29:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Rosewill 4U Case for 6 GPU Rig  (Read 247 times)
cpmcgrat (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 21

DCAB

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 05:55:09 AM

Thought I would share the custom 4U rackmount-able case my brother and I customized to support a 6 GPU rig.

It does an excellent job of cooling due to it having 3x 120mm intake fans, 3x 120mm fans pulling air out of the GPU compartment and 2x 80mm fans pulling air out from the motherboard compartment. We've found that setting the rig up this way makes it much easier to keep the GPUs running cooler compared to my open air rig since the ambient temperature around the open air rig is much higher unless a desk fan is placed to direct the hot air away.

Customizing the 4U case was tricky for numerous reasons

1) The internal set of fans was mounted too far forward and had to be moved back to make room for the GPUs
2) The intake fans were mounted to the hard drive bay, which had to be removed. We installed custom rails to replace the removed hard drive bay.
3) Creation/tapping of the GPU mounting bars and support beam.

We've built a couple of rigs in cases like these so far and can say we'm quite happy with the results. We're going to see how a similar setup with 8 GPUs works soon.

Let me know what you guys think!

The final modified case, GPU screws tapped (threaded) into aluminum beam

Front View, no door

Front View, with door and lid

One 1070 installed for reference

Fully assembled, lid off

Fully assembled, lid on, door up

Member, Dero Community Advisory Board (DCAB)
crocozino

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 06:10:26 AM

looks nice, but I think the space between cards is too narrow? how many sm. there? 2?
the idea is great of course, and I'm interesting what temps you are getting on those cards?
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 06:10:59 AM

Nice clean job, but your GPUs and especially airflow should be reversed. Now the hot air is flowing over your motherboard, and heating your PSU unnecessarily. I'd definitely change the air flow's direction if I were you.
cpmcgrat (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 21

DCAB

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 06:30:45 AM

looks nice, but I think the space between cards is too narrow? how many sm. there? 2?
the idea is great of course, and I'm interesting what temps you are getting on those cards?

It is actually not that narrow, there is ~3.5cm between each card.

From left to right the cards read (GPU fan speed locked at 60%):

55*C
61*C
66*C
68*C
58*C
56*C

Due to it being set up in a server case, the static pressure is quite high. It moves cool air quickly past the GPU compartment and out the back. The temps are actually better with the case lid on rather than off since it can then effectively take advantage of the SP fans and push all the air out the back rapidly.

Member, Dero Community Advisory Board (DCAB)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: