Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:53:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I know it's too late, but aren't we shooting ourselves in foot by buying ASIC?  (Read 3962 times)
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:46:16 PM

You're wrong.

People will stop buying new miners when new miners stop being profitable.  But as I calculate it right now, it would take 818,325 of BFL's SC Singles to be in use before mining becomes unprofitable at $0.08/kwh, not taking into account any unit depreciation.  Given that BFL only had 75,000 chips produced in their first run, and that those 75,000 chips would only be enough to produce 4,687 SC Singles, I'd say that we're quite far from that happening even when taking all the other ASIC vendors into account.

Sure, we're moving away from the prospect of making ridiculous daily amounts of Bitcoin from one device, but we are still very far above the level of a reasonably sane return on investment.

An SC Single need only generate 1.5BTC per year to break even on electricity costs, but that is not why people would stop buying it. If an SC Single can't generate more Bitcoin than you could buy with the money you spend on the SC single, then people will stop buying the Singles.

If second generation ASICs coming online that do 300+ GH/s actually deliver, the hash rate is going to grow rapidly for the next 6 months. 100M+ difficulty makes an SC Single unprofitable (vs buying bitcoins). If you ordered one today, you would not receive it until late September (after 100TH/s of Avalon Klondikes have hit the market, and 200TH/s of BFL product has been delivered). That puts the difficulty over 60M before you even get your SC Single.

That is a small window and it is getting smaller. If KNCminer or Bitfury actually deliver...
Sure, I agree with you - people will only continue to buy them while they produce a reasonable amount of profit.  But my point still stands - people will stop buying them when they produce an unreasonable profit.  Which means they will always make a reasonable profit, notwithstanding improvements in the technology that give lower costs or more efficient mining.  Even with newer technologies, these older ASICs would likely still be profitable, just not reasonably profitable.

What you consider a reasonable profit and what a large scale mining operation with cheap electricity in another country consider a reasonable profit are completely different.

If your SC Single is only making a dollar a week, is it profitable for you? Probably not, but it might be for someone else who has 10,000 singles running for nearly free electricity.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:33:09 PM

You're wrong.

People will stop buying new miners when new miners stop being profitable.  But as I calculate it right now, it would take 818,325 of BFL's SC Singles to be in use before mining becomes unprofitable at $0.08/kwh, not taking into account any unit depreciation.  Given that BFL only had 75,000 chips produced in their first run, and that those 75,000 chips would only be enough to produce 4,687 SC Singles, I'd say that we're quite far from that happening even when taking all the other ASIC vendors into account.

Sure, we're moving away from the prospect of making ridiculous daily amounts of Bitcoin from one device, but we are still very far above the level of a reasonably sane return on investment.

An SC Single need only generate 1.5BTC per year to break even on electricity costs, but that is not why people would stop buying it. If an SC Single can't generate more Bitcoin than you could buy with the money you spend on the SC single, then people will stop buying the Singles.

If second generation ASICs coming online that do 300+ GH/s actually deliver, the hash rate is going to grow rapidly for the next 6 months. 100M+ difficulty makes an SC Single unprofitable (vs buying bitcoins). If you ordered one today, you would not receive it until late September (after 100TH/s of Avalon Klondikes have hit the market, and 200TH/s of BFL product has been delivered). That puts the difficulty over 60M before you even get your SC Single.

That is a small window and it is getting smaller. If KNCminer or Bitfury actually deliver...
Sure, I agree with you - people will only continue to buy them while they produce a reasonable amount of profit.  But my point still stands - people will stop buying them when they produce an unreasonable profit.  Which means they will always make a reasonable profit, notwithstanding improvements in the technology that give lower costs or more efficient mining.  Even with newer technologies, these older ASICs would likely still be profitable, just not reasonably profitable.

To earn a profit, mining equipment must first earn back the sunk capital costs involved in buying the equipment.
BFL equipment ordered today will be delivered in mid September (according to Josh).
All of BFL's current order book will be mining before you get your unit.
Potentially all of Avalon's chip sales will be mining.
Potentially all of Bitfury's first batch will be mining.
ASICMiner will add some unknown amount of hash rate.
Potentially even some of KNCMiners products will be mining
You will start mining somewhere north of 60,000,000 difficulty.
At that rate, there is a real risk that BFL products ordered today will never earn back in BTC what one could buy from MT Gox for the same price. That makes them unprofitable.

What you consider a reasonable profit and what a large scale mining operation with cheap electricity in another country consider a reasonable profit are completely different.

If your SC Single is only making a dollar a week, is it profitable for you? Probably not, but it might be for someone else who has 10,000 singles running for nearly free electricity.

If those 50GH/s Singles are each earning a dollar a week, it would take 2500 weeks (48 years) to earn back the cost of buying those 50GH/s Singles.
After running them for 48 years (with no difficulty increases) you will earn your first dollar of profit. Free electricity is only cool up to a point.  Grin

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:55:27 PM

You're wrong.

Sure, I agree with you - people will only continue to buy them while they produce a reasonable amount of profit.  But my point still stands - people will stop buying them when they produce an unreasonable profit.  Which means they will always make a reasonable profit, notwithstanding improvements in the technology that give lower costs or more efficient mining.  Even with newer technologies, these older ASICs would likely still be profitable, just not reasonably profitable.

To earn a profit, mining equipment must first earn back the sunk capital costs involved in buying the equipment.
BFL equipment ordered today will be delivered in mid September (according to Josh).
All of BFL's current order book will be mining before you get your unit.
Potentially all of Avalon's chip sales will be mining.
Potentially all of Bitfury's first batch will be mining.
ASICMiner will add some unknown amount of hash rate.
Potentially even some of KNCMiners products will be mining
You will start mining somewhere north of 60,000,000 difficulty.
At that rate, there is a real risk that BFL products ordered today will never earn back in BTC what one could buy from MT Gox for the same price. That makes them unprofitable.
Well, no one told me we were looking at profitability with regards to BTC.  Cheesy  That's a whole different ballgame, and all bets are off if you look at it that way!  If the price drops drastically, you could see a net profit in BTC quite easily while maintaining a net loss in USD, but if the price increasing drastically, you'd likely never see a profit on your investment vs just investing in BTC directly, while your USD profit would be through the roof.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:03:39 PM

Well, no one told me we were looking at profitability with regards to BTC.  Cheesy  That's a whole different ballgame, and all bets are off if you look at it that way!  If the price drops drastically, you could see a net profit in BTC quite easily while maintaining a net loss in USD, but if the price increasing drastically, you'd likely never see a profit on your investment vs just investing in BTC directly, while your USD profit would be through the roof.

Consider the following question:
If you spend 11 BTC to buy a device that will produce 10 BTC in its lifetime, will you make any profit?
Or, you could look at it another way:
Is there any exchange rate by which you will profit more by spending 11 BTC to get 10 BTC than you would by just keeping the 11 BTC?

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:25:14 PM

Well, no one told me we were looking at profitability with regards to BTC.  Cheesy  That's a whole different ballgame, and all bets are off if you look at it that way!  If the price drops drastically, you could see a net profit in BTC quite easily while maintaining a net loss in USD, but if the price increasing drastically, you'd likely never see a profit on your investment vs just investing in BTC directly, while your USD profit would be through the roof.

If you spend 11 BTC to buy a device that will produce 10 BTC in its lifetime, will you make any profit?
Is there any exchange rate by which you will profit more by spending 11 BTC to get 10 BTC than you would by just keeping the 11 BTC?
Consider the following counter-question:
If you spend 11 BTC ($1,200) to buy a device that will produce 1,000 BTC ($100 after a huge market crash), will you make any profit?

That's why I assume no change in exchange rate, and why I look at profit in terms of USD and not BTC.

Anyway, assuming no change in value, I don't see how a BFL ASIC ordered now would NOT turn a net profit eventually (in both BTC and USD), unless there are additional delays beyond their projection of shipping all current preorders by September.  But I wouldn't buy one right now, BECAUSE of the potential for additional delays.  And because I already have too much investing in BTC and BTC-related investments already.  I need to diversify more.

But, back to the profit.  Let's say that you are correct, that difficulty is 60,000,000 by the time you receive your shiny new 50GH/s BFL miner.  You spent 24 BTC on it.  The miner, at 60,000,000 difficulty, makes 12.74 BTC/month.  Also have to assume that difficulty is continuing to rise, and I'm not going to do the calculus, but just assume that difficulty went up 25% and you manage to pull out 10 BTC of the first month.  Next month, same thing - difficulty went up 25% over the course of the month, and you get another 8 BTC.  Etc, etc, making 6.5 BTC, 5 BTC, 4.5 BTC in the following months.  After just the first 3 months, you've already recovered your original BTC amount.

The only reason difficulty would continue to go up is if people continued to buy miners.  The only way people would continue to buy miners is if they deem it to return a reasonable profit.  Do you think 4.5 BTC/month (and potentially declining) on a 24 BTC purchase is a reasonable profit?  I do, but many people certainly don't - not in the volatile world of Bitcoin, anyway.  So people like would start dropping out of purchases of miners when the singles start only making 6 BTC a month, or 4.5 BTC a month, or whatever number you want to use.  But that still leaves the people who did buy them a net profit after 6 months or less, and it means difficulty would largely stagnate and stop increasing.

I would even wager on a bet that a BFL SC Single would eventually pay itself off in either USD or BTC, electric costs included, if purchased today.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:40:21 PM

Well, no one told me we were looking at profitability with regards to BTC.  Cheesy  That's a whole different ballgame, and all bets are off if you look at it that way!  If the price drops drastically, you could see a net profit in BTC quite easily while maintaining a net loss in USD, but if the price increasing drastically, you'd likely never see a profit on your investment vs just investing in BTC directly, while your USD profit would be through the roof.

Consider the following counter-question:
If you spend 11 BTC ($1,200) to buy a device that will produce 1,000 BTC ($100 after a huge market crash), will you make any profit?

That's why I assume no change in exchange rate, and why I look at profit in terms of USD and not BTC.
So you admit that spending 11 BTC for a product that will produce 10 BTC is a bad idea.

Anyway, assuming no change in value, I don't see how a BFL ASIC ordered now would NOT turn a net profit eventually (in both BTC and USD), unless there are additional delays beyond their projection of shipping all current preorders by September.  
At 100 million difficulty and a 6.5% growth rate per difficulty adjustment, a Jalapeno will not earn back the BTC you could have had at today's exchange rate.

But, back to the profit.  Let's say that you are correct, that difficulty is 60,000,000 by the time you receive your shiny new 50GH/s BFL miner.  
That assumes that Avalon, Bitfury, and KNCMiner do not deliver anything further. 60,000,000 difficulty is just BFL's known order book.

You spent 24 BTC on it.  The miner, at 60,000,000 difficulty, makes 12.74 BTC/month.  Also have to assume that difficulty is continuing to rise, and I'm not going to do the calculus, but just assume that difficulty went up 25% and you manage to pull out 10 BTC of the first month.  Next month, same thing - difficulty went up 25% over the course of the month, and you get another 8 BTC.  Etc, etc, making 6.5 BTC, 5 BTC, 4.5 BTC in the following months.  After just the first 3 months, you've already recovered your original BTC amount.
Yes, if no other company besides BFL delivers ASICs, you will profit from buying a BFL unit today.
Use this mining calculator on expert mode: http://www.coinish.com/calc/#

The only reason difficulty would continue to go up is if people continued to buy miners.  The only way people would continue to buy miners is if they deem it to return a reasonable profit.  Do you think 4.5 BTC/month (and potentially declining) on a 24 BTC purchase is a reasonable profit?  I do, but many people certainly don't - not in the volatile world of Bitcoin, anyway.  So people like would start dropping out of purchases of miners when the singles start only making 6 BTC a month, or 4.5 BTC a month, or whatever number you want to use.  But that still leaves the people who did buy them a net profit after 6 months or less, and it means difficulty would largely stagnate and stop increasing.

I would even wager on a bet that a BFL SC Single would eventually pay itself off in either USD or BTC, electric costs included, if purchased today.
I would not take that bet. Since people are still pre-ordering and ignoring the math, I believe that they will overshoot profitability by quite a bit. Also, second generation ASICs will have a lower price point, higher performance, and run more efficiently. People can still buy those and add to the hash rate long after first generation equipment is no longer profitable to purchase (but while running might earn more than they cost in electricity for quite some time).

If you are banking on a rise in BTC/USD to enhance your profitability, you should just buy BTC and hold it.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:19:46 AM

asic should die in hell, and old vga farm should rise again
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:07:50 AM

Why should a parasite bother about common good? If ASIC will generate some profit even with the worst predictions - why not?

FIFY

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
PaperClip

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:37:04 AM

Why should one bother about common good? If ASIC will generate some profit even with the worst predictions - why not?
Why should a parasite bother about common good? If ASIC will generate some profit even with the worst predictions - why not?

FIFY
Btc mining community is a group of noble gentleman with goal to increase Internet money amount by buying specially designed air heaters. Nobody is doing this for profit, no way. And you dare to call them a parasite? We must help them, go get new ASIC for yourself.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:54:57 AM

I just moved on to litecoin. Seems to have more potential for profit anyway. I would also wager it is gaining users at a faster clip then bitcoin too right now. Yes asics may come to litecoin but not anytime soon. It is like 2011 all over.
Youngbill

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 12:43:03 PM

I look at it this way....I spent $1000 on equipment ( I've spent more on toys with NO possible ROI) and its running in a space (data center) where I get free electricity and AC.  It's more for fun then anything else but if the value of the few BTC I'm mining increases in the next 10 years ( and I think it will) then I'll be happy.

Bill
transcoder

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 04:42:35 AM

First movers will always have a leg up when it comes to new technology. Once the pack catches up, there will be something new and shiny to move on to. These first movers took a risk though -- remember when ASICs were first announced, and people thought it was a scam? Those that plunkered down the cash/coins took a risk, and it in this case it paid off.

dominicus

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:39:44 PM

Buying ASIC miners goes against the common good. It give an individual the upper hand for a while until most miners upgrade to ASIC. By that time, a 5Ghps miner will give the same a amount of bitcoins as a 200Mhps GPU miner gave 6 month before.

In the long term, we all loose and the only winners are the ASIC manufacturers.

This is a fine example how group behavior eventually goes against the common good.

But I guess it's too late for that now... the hash rate snow ball is rolling faster and getting bigger by the minute.

At what point in human history have common good and money been united for any length of time?  Still...a nudge in the right direction.

Help me troubleshoot my BTC address.
Send some coins here: 1FkQS1RuEmSppCPdGPVGHtc4aj2nBiHAYF
If I don't return your test transfer, it must be having issues still.
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 01:07:55 PM

Well its not exactly against common good. In a 6 months time all the miners will go to ASIC, most of them will earn back the money, we will be "greener" since it consumes less power. It is a process, even evolution.

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:43:40 PM

if we don't buy them, someone else will. Shocked There is no stopping this train, either get onboard or sit in the station. Cool
1+

ASIC's are good.  Bitcoin was designed to make the free market flourish.  I'm sure Satoshi is proud.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: