Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:32:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC or GPU mining?  (Read 1768 times)
Lonsdayl (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 11:59:53 AM

Hello guys, I read a lot of information about mining. Can you advise me which variant I should choose?
1. I can buy ASIC (my friend have some contact, so I can get it without any problems)
2. I can buy GPU and mine with it.

As I know, ASIC mining is more profitable. But If i will GPU — after mining I can sell it to any gamer. So if Bitocin price will dump I won't lose a lot.

And what do you think? Advise me something, please.

P.S: I've got less than $ 3,000 to invest.
Aura

Activity: 518
Merit: 268

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 12:05:59 PM

Currently ASIC mining is more profitable, the difference in payback is actually quite big at least 2 times more days.
That's because all profitable ASIC proof coins have a high difficulty compared to the price.
Here is a list with a lot of mining equipment compared: https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/#/equipment
n00bsaibot

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 02:00:32 PM

I agree with previous post. ASIC will provide faster ROI. Also, keep in mind that ASIC are very loud.
JorDell

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 02:11:23 PM

I'm also wondering wich one to start with... If it's not already too late :p
But i'll go with the GPU mining, kinda for the same reasons you mentionned, the hardware is still worth something separetly if i decide to stop.
I'm planning on a 1500$ investment for 4GPU mining rig, and i'll see where this will go. I wanted to start with 6 GPU but dont want to spend too much in this uncertainty..
n00bsaibot

Activity: 98

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 02:43:38 PM

GPU mining is fun and great learning curve. You stated that your budget is round 3k, so you can make quite a rig! More GPUs bring more $$$  Grin

Good luck mate!
makomako

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

altcom Aa4DWXQjrcEA8gPBLkx6t9VgCuWoCo1myE

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:11:11 PM

GPU for versatile and more option to mine diff algo/coins
Asic is for one algo although some asic has a support for multiple algo.

shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 03:21:29 PM

I think if you could purchase some Asic miners at very first batch, you could ROI in 4-6 months, but if it's not the case, ROI is not that fast, maybe 10-12 months like GPU mining. After that ROI, asic miner could not give you much option due to its low hashrate, but with GPU, its flexibility give you some choice on altcoin mining, basically you still could get more profit with it. Going with Asic mining, you should consider about warranty and its noise problem as well. 
Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:24:50 PM

It seems to me that the GPU is more profitable. Indeed the performance of the GPU is lower, but you can always change the coins which are mined and if the mining will be not profitable, you will have the chance to sell your GPU at a residual price to gamers. Asic would be worthless. I think this is a powerful argument.

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
sondrik

Activity: 59

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:33:22 PM

Today I would go GPU for being more versatile. I think the return on investment would be faster by mining several altcoins. Regards.
mittooss

Activity: 154

DEm1CKDTViM1y9YmEcBaktNLWVx8rwuQUm

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:43:50 PM

Both are good in one way or the other
Lonsdayl (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:48:37 PM

Currently ASIC mining is more profitable, the difference in payback is actually quite big at least 2 times more days.
That's because all profitable ASIC proof coins have a high difficulty compared to the price.
Here is a list with a lot of mining equipment compared: https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/#/equipment

But what if I want to sell all equipment. Can I sell ASIC for someone? Selling GPU is easier than ASIC, isn't it?
RoyaLunique

Activity: 383
Merit: 272

Legend is back.

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:50:48 PM

But what if I want to sell all equipment. Can I sell ASIC for someone? Selling GPU is easier than ASIC, isn't it?

You can sell gpu easily but you cant sell easiyl asic
cryptocoinfarmer

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:56:02 PM

Definitely, try out ASIC mining hardware.
For me, L3+ is the Beast.
oddity2505

Activity: 120

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 03:57:24 PM

GPU mining income is way more stable. RX470 were making ~$1 per day a year ago, still making $1.5 per day now. As for ASICs, just go to forum threads about Antminer D3 and you will see how happy people were in the beginning making $100 day and how pissed off, getting $5 per day with no chance of ROI. Much shorter warranty on ASICs is another factor to consider.
Rousse

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:05:18 PM

I'm still new in here so take my advice with caution. One of the best thing i can see in GPU mining is the fact you can sold it back to gamer after ROI point, even if the crypto bubble goes booom this GPU will have a "good" value.
On the other side, if you want "Beast" you'll have to go on ASIC mining.

Gpu is flexible but less reward ASIC is a mining beast but can be out of date "fast"

my 0.00002BTC
linkin87

Activity: 120

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:10:54 PM

GPU mining income is way more stable. RX470 were making ~$1 per day a year ago, still making $1.5 per day now. As for ASICs, just go to forum threads about Antminer D3 and you will see how happy people were in the beginning making $100 day and how pissed off, getting $5 per day with no chance of ROI. Much shorter warranty on ASICs is another factor to consider.

I agree with you, D3 is a bad device with 3$/day profit now. We are being fooled by Bitmain. You should buy GPU, AMD RX470 or RX580,
Aura

Activity: 518
Merit: 268

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 05:05:28 PM

That's true, besides being very loud that's a big downside of ASIC miners.
The demand for GPUs is much bigger because it is not only aimed at consumers that want to mine.
Also because most people start to sell their ASIC when the electrical costs become higher than the income of mining.
When all these miners are offered at Ebay, the price is close to worthless.

Ventureum

Activity: 61

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 05:05:56 PM

Hello guys, I read a lot of information about mining. Can you advise me which variant I should choose?
1. I can buy ASIC (my friend have some contact, so I can get it without any problems)

As I know, ASIC mining is more profitable. But If i will GPU — after mining I can sell it to any gamer. So if Bitocin price will dump I won't lose a lot.

Whenever there is ASIC mining, GPU mining is out of the question.

Ventureum – Milestone-Driven Community-Governed Crowdfunding Protocol  |   Twitter  |   Facebook
Lonsdayl (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 08:39:44 PM

Whenever there is ASIC mining, GPU mining is out of the question.

Why not? All online marketplace in my country are full of propositions of constructing GPUmining farm. And, as I can see, it is very popular service. Persons don't want to risk and buy ASICs. Gamers would buy your GPUs with great pleasure, but what about ASICs.

I know that can earn more with ASICs, but if there will be panic on market, it would be hard to sell hardware...
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 12:07:52 AM

ASIC mining if the machine hasn't been on the market long. Otherwise, GPU, because you have much more options of what to mine as well as an upgrade path and resellable parts. Right now I wouldn't pay full price for anything other than an L3+ (and we'll see how that fares when the Nov and Dec batches go online) or maybe an S9.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: