Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:02:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin Andresen promoting the Bitcoin Foundation ,,,  (Read 985 times)
melvster (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:08:02 AM

I am curious about the following comment:

If you’re not a Foundation member, you should join.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=204

First of all, I know very little about the foundation, but I found the US conference *fantastic*. 

My understanding is that the community has mixed feelings about the foundation, but I could be wrong.

I'm not currently a foundation member, but I'm thinking about it.  I'd like to understand the motivation here ...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:10:39 AM

Join Bitcoin Foundation if you want to help pay to hire lobbyists in Washington DC. If that's not something you're in favour of then you're probably better off not joining.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:20:24 AM

My understanding is that the community has mixed feelings about the foundation, but I could be wrong.

I was one of the ones that vehemently protested the foundation when it was announced. I don't think the community has mixed feelings about the good the foundation can do and important role it might play, for example managing things like the Bitcoin trademark. Rather there has been concern about potential for consolidated power and influence which goes against the decentralized ideology of Bitcoin.

For the record I think the foundation is a good idea. My concern for unchecked potential power they might gain has been quelled by the fact the market now has viable alternatives (like Litecoin) to express dissatisfaction with Bitcoin. The free market when it has choices acts as a good strict regulator.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:36:29 AM

Join Bitcoin Foundation if you want to help pay to hire lobbyists in Washington DC. If that's not something you're in favour of then you're probably better off not joining.

So if you are not American there is no point in joining them?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:42:46 AM

I'm sure they would appreciate your money. There's one point right there. If you ever wanted to sway the US government using a PAC then join. See, there's two points already. If you want to pay the lead devs salary then join. Already up to three.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 02:48:38 AM

this is the part that makes me laugh. how the bitcoin foundation believes joining forces with the US will help bitcoin.. yet have no plans for europe, asia, africa or any other continents.

kind of narrow minded. bitcoin is its own country, it does not need to follow the laws of just the USA. the only people that need to follow the laws of the USA are those dealing with the american dollar.

so in my eyes the foundation is there to pay gavins wages (which is of benefit, but i prefer to donate direct to him) and to pay for the other founders.. EG bitinstant, bitpay, etc. who are american bitcoin/fiat traders.

the bitcoin foundation has not done much from what i can see to help PUIK (blockchain.info) with its UK legal issues, or any of the european/australian exchanges.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:00:33 AM

this is the part that makes me laugh. how the bitcoin foundation believes joining forces with the US will help bitcoin.. yet have no plans for europe, asia, africa or any other continents.

kind of narrow minded. bitcoin is its own country, it does not need to follow the laws of just the USA. the only people that need to follow the laws of the USA are those dealing with the american dollar.

so in my eyes the foundation is there to pay gavins wages (which is of benefit, but i prefer to donate direct to him) and to pay for the other founders.. EG bitinstant, bitpay, etc. who are american bitcoin/fiat traders.

the bitcoin foundation has not done much from what i can see to help PUIK (blockchain.info) with its UK legal issues, or any of the european/australian exchanges.

They are by Americans for Americans but it doesn't matter because it's a membership organization. They can support the molestation of St. Benards if the membership agrees. This forum has members of that group but it is not made up solely of members of that group and that's fine. If they make mistakes in Washington it will only hurt the membership of that group (Americans).

JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:14:21 AM

No point... unless you'd like to see Bitcoin gain wider adaptation, and have converting it to and from the world's reserve currency become increasingly easier.

If that doesn't interest you, then you may not exactly be a potential member anyway!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: