Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:12:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting started with Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies  (Read 1812 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
wiser (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:43:21 AM

Tip #8: Organize your forums and other communication platforms

This one is actually huge. If you did your homework and actually researched a few altcoins you have surely discovered as many new forums as the number of altcoins you studied. Some coins have multiple forums and several other means of communication.

As a case in point, take the coins in my portfolio. I currently hold NEM, DNotes, DMD Diamond, STEEM and VIVA. I've got dust in a few other coins, but those are the main ones. So NEM, DNotes, and DMD Diamond each have threads on this forum and I follow them. NEM, VIVA and DNotes also have their own forums, although the forum I'm referring to for DNotes is not exclusively dedicated to DNotes. STEEM has its own entire social media site and within that site you can follow the important people involved in STEEM development for news and discussion. In addition to all that, NEM has its own Telegram channel (which I used to be part of), DMD Diamond has its own Slack channel, STEEM has at least one chat group on Rocket Chat and VIVA has a presence on Basecamp and Discord.

You see how it works?

When it comes to getting involved in the cryptocurrency industry, communication channels multiply at an alarming rate.

And when you invest in a particular altcoin, it is very important that you keep up with that coin's news and other communication, which means you have to very regularly catch up on its thread here, its own forum, and its various relevant chat groups. In other words you'll be doing a lot of reading and interacting. If you don't, you could miss some very important information affecting your holdings. Case in point. One of the other coins I hold that I didn't mention above is FIMK. FIMK also has its own thread here, its own forum, and who knows what else. I unfortunately ignored the FIMK channels but continued to hold the coin. And then one day it was announced that the development energy was going to shift to this coin called HEAT. I could be wrong but I believe during a certain window of time you could exchange your FIMK for HEAT on a one to one basis. I wasn't paying attention and missed that window. The last time I checked HEAT was worth a lot and FIMK was practically worthless. And you could trade 200 FIMK for one HEAT, or something like that. So because I wasn't paying attention rather than holding a winner, I'm now bagholding a loser which is not likely to ever go anywhere, though the development team supposedly is still working on it.

With the above said, I will say that any coin that you have to monitor very intensely is likely to wind up being a loser. However, when you've acquired large amounts of a coin at cost, you don't want to take chances, especially at the beginning, so you need to be keeping tabs on its news. When the coin has proven itself to be stable in the news department, then you might be able to relax the intensity a bit, but you never want to stop monitoring it altogether.

Since for every coin you hold you're going to be following around three to five communication channels, you need to keep them organized. You can use bookmarks in your browser, a list with hyperlinks in a spreadsheet or word document. There might even be an app for keeping track of such things.

The bottom line: come up with a system that works for you for keeping all those channels straight and ensuring that you will visit them regularly and make it happen.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
martinosanchez

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:51:19 PM

I'm taking a little break from sharing tips because I had some things come up in my life this past week that required more intense attention. However, I'm hoping to keep going with it by the middle of the week.

In the mean time, I came across this very well written nontechnical piece explaining what cryptocurrencies actually are, why they are valuable, and why they might not be valuable down the road. It's a very balanced, realistic view. I learned a lot from reading it, and I'm not exactly a newbie. It's a great article, one everyone involved in this industry should keep in their virtual library.

https://blog.chain.com/a-letter-to-jamie-dimon-de89d417cb80

Thank you very much for your very informative and great post! I read through it and I feel like I've learned a lot, but of course there is still a lot to go. I also read the article you linked and it was most certainly the best explanation of cryptocurrencies that I've read so far, so thank you very much for that too!
wiser (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:35:18 AM

I'm having a bit of an internal debate as to what should be my next tip. I could flesh out further what to look for in an altcoin that you're considering buying or otherwise acquiring, or I could go more in the direction of how to earn your way into cryptocoins (yes, there are better ways to earn cryptos than faucets!).

I'll eventually cover both topics; it's a matter of in what order. So, those of you following this thread, what would you like to see next?

In the mean time, I have quite the roundup of interesting cryptocurrency related articles for your education and enjoyment.

How normal people get involved in cryptocurrency. This article is a list of the many different ways to catch the crypto-bug. There really is no one size fits all. Everyone's story is going to be unique.

Bitcoin 2017: a year in review. This was quite a year for Bitcoin. This infographic gives you a great snapshot of how much things have changed in just one year.

Will the futures market do to Bitcoin what it did to gold? Today Bitcoin futures enter the scene. In a nutshell, all the Bitcoin naysayers can now put their money where their mouth is and bet against it. How will that affect the price of Bitcoin?

CryptoKitties takes the Ethereum network by storm. You have to put real money into this, but what a fun way to learn about the block chain technology, smart contracts, and what it takes to run a decentralized app. I think if you wanted to play this game, you could count the cost as tuition in your crypto-education journey. Just use some common sense. Allocate a certain amount to this and stick with it, and only put in what you can afford to lose. Most of all, have fun Smiley
btcmegastar

Activity: 700
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:59:15 AM

Really you are giving good updates to the people who don't have proper knowledge about what is happening around the crypto world. Newbie like me will go through all your updates and acquire some knowledge about the what is happening.
wiser (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 05:45:05 PM

This is a good tip indeed, password manager is an extremely useful thing to have. Even for the internet in general. Any other tips you can provide? I want to start making money with cryptocurrency myself, but first need to learn as much as I can. Investing without knowing the basics will probably get me nowhere)

Be sure to read all the tips provided here. I keep adding more once or twice a week.
micoholic

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:29:44 AM

Thanks for the tip @ Sir Wiser! I'm glad that I bump into your thread, I've learned a lot of things in just a short period of time. This will help a lot of newbies like me, that this site isn't just any other forum to which accounts are useless.
wiser (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:15:51 PM

Tip #9: Know what makes a good altcoin

This morning I read this article describing what you absolutely never want to do: mortgage your home to buy Bitcoin. Please, don't ever do something like that. Earlier this year I sold off some NEM I was holding (at a much lower price than it is now) and used the proceeds to pay off some crippling credit card debt we'd gotten into years ago. Even though today I could have gotten four times as much for the coins I consider it to be a good decision. The added peace of mind getting out from under that debt has added to my family has been priceless. My point is you want to use your cryptocurrency venture to reduce your debt, not add to it. You certainly don't want to place your home at risk for the sake of a coin that may be entering into a bubble phase in terms of its price.

Looking at Bitcoin's current price, it's certainly possible that you missed the Bitcoin train, and that's OK. There are still plenty of great opportunities with altcoins. Not all altcoins are created equally, so it's important to know how to distinguish between the ones likely to succeed and the ones likely to fail. No one can know the future for sure, but there are definitely characteristics that make success more likely. Today I'm going to list some of them, then flesh them out further in subsequent posts.

A good altcoin needs to have most, preferably all, of these characteristics.

1. A solid business plan
2. Value added infrastructure beyond the coin
3. A solid and professional development team
4. A solid community
5. Good communication from the development team
6. A strong incentive to keep coins off the market
7. Systematic buy support for the coin on the market

I will flesh out each one of these further in subsequent posts. If you've done your previous "homework," you have probably already encountered a few altcoins that look really interesting to you. Try going back through their information and communication channels and see if you can spot the presence or lack of these characteristics.

Even when you believe you have found a winning altcoin to invest in, please only invest what you can afford to lose.
wiser (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 03:11:22 AM

I deleted two identical posts from two different users because they appear to be spam. Everyone is welcome to learn and ask questions, but let's keep our posts original. Thanks Smiley
wiser (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 05:19:36 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2017, 05:38:36 PM by wiser

Are you looking for some free cryptos?

There is a NEM airdrop going on for people who sign up for WeChat and add the NEM wallet extension.

If you have a cell phone, follow the instructions on this video. Be especially careful about keeping your passwords and private keys safe and accessible to you as there is no way to recover them.

I'm not sure how long the airdrop will last, so don't wait too long!
moretea

Activity: 130
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 13, 2020, 11:13:18 AM

With the crypto market making moves again, it might be wise to revive a few of these topics on how to get started.

I remember when I started out with BTC, i ran into a lot of issues. From wallets, block confirmations, private keys and all the beginner mistakes one can make.
Heck, I even was highly nervous purchasing my first Bitcoins, just because i wasn't sure about the source.

Anyone who is a beginner, make sure to stick to bigger platforms, to reduce the risk. Use wallets that are easy but secure, and make sure you understand the difference between private and public keys!

here's a short guide on how to get started: https://pokerceo.io/crypto/how-to-invest-in-cryptocurrency-like-a-shark/

● ⚫ GIFcoin.io ⚫ ●
Gambling Investment Fund (http://gifcoin.io)
Working business ✔ 80% of net profit shared with Holders ✔
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: