Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:48:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox no longer the standard for exchange rate  (Read 5985 times)
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:19:29 PM

I think this is great news. I have nothing against Gox, they have done a lot of BTC (as well as bad) but being a decentralized system, BTC depends too much on Gox. There last slip up with suspending USD withdrawls for 2 weeks has already taken its toll, both in price and repercussions: https://mtgox.com/press_release_20130620.html

http://blog.bitpay.com/2013/06/important-update-on-bitpay-exchange.html?oid=1039_1

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Update on BitPay Exchange Rate Calculations

Effective immediately, BitPay has temporarily stopped using Mt. Gox for determining the exchange rate for our invoices.

The rate calculation that BitPay uses for each invoice is now as follows:

1.  Pull the full Level II market depth, on the bid side, from multiple exchanges.

2.  Merge the market depths into one Consolidated Level II table.

3.  Calculate the blended clearing price for the amount of the invoice, assuming an auto-routing market sell order across all exchanges, with zero commission.

BitPay is committed to offering the fairest possible rate to the buyer, while minimizing our counterparty risk.

Don't forget, It's about Sharing...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
SamS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:39:40 PM

There's not enough information on how the calculation is actually done -- is it a weighted volume weighted price or just an price average?, what about stale quotes?, etc... -- to tell if this is a "better" standard or not.

Bitcoin: 16i8sQWjZo3QPhhSfWupJff5PtwTxxpRJJ
Ripple:  rL7mRCDYBXsVSM2obdvEjwft5fPUmxv3ra
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:47:29 PM

There's not enough information on how the calculation is actually done -- is it a weighted volume weighted price or just an price average?, what about stale quotes?, etc... -- to tell if this is a "better" standard or not.

Great point but at least we are moving in the right direction. I wonder where that information is at though as one would think they have to make that public. (I checked their site but didn't find anything).
Anyone?

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 06:46:01 PM

I'm not using MtGox for my goto exchange rate now that USD withdrawals have stopped. Whatever that's worth.

Not sure if I will return to that even after USD withdrawals resume.
sayulita

Activity: 881
Merit: 500

CyberTrade

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 08:15:10 PM

There is nothing wrong with using MtGox as a standard for the exchange rate. What is wrong is everybody using them as an exchange.

███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                        ▀███████████████████████▀▀▀
       ▄▄██████▀▀▄▄     ▄█▄▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ██▀ ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄█  ▄▄████▄   ▄▄███████████▀
    ▄▄████▀▀     ██   ▄███▀▀▀▀██ ███▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██   ██▀▄▀██▀▀██     ▄▄████▀███  ███▄██▀
  ▄████▀         ██ ▄██▀█▀ ▄███ ███▄▄▄▄  ██ ▄▄█▀  ▄██  ██ ▄▄█▀   ▄██▄██▀ ▄██  ▄██▄███▄▄▄▄
 ▄███▀           ████▀ ██████▀ ██▀▀▀▀▀  ████▀▀   ▄██  █████▀ █████▀███  ▄██ ▄███▄██▀▀▀▀
████▀           ███▀  ██  ▄██ ██       ████▄    ▄██  ████▄   ▄█▀▀ ██▀  ███▄██▀ ▄██▀
████     ▄▄▄  ▄██▀   ██▄██▀▀ ███████▀  █▀  ▀█▄▄ ██   █▀  ▀█▄▄    ██▀  ███▀▀   ▀████████▀
████▄▄▄███▀ ███▀    ▀▀▀                      ▀▀█▄          ▀▀█▄ ██▀  ▀▀
 ▀█████▀▀ ███▀
.......MMO RPG Futuristic.......
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
tstang

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 08:22:20 PM

It depends on how you look at it. The best solution should be a weighted average of few exchanges.
medinscot

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 08:41:18 PM

Gox will only loose its position as standard bearer if its volume drop below other exchanges.

There is no "standard" price for anything. The price is what consumers are prepared to pay for the item. As long as an entity is trading more volume that its competitors, then people will use its price as a main reference point. Case in point, if most people use the supermarket, then the price of the supermarket will be used as a reference, regardless of what the so called "recommended retail price" is, or what the corner shop is charging (normally a bit more for convenience to local residents).
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 09:33:23 PM

Phoenix1 posted this on the wall thread as a quote:

To calculate the exchange rate for US Dollars, we pull up-to-the-minute BID prices from three exchanges. We take the 2 that are closest together and toss out the third, so that a bad feed from one exchange will not affect our calculation. Of the 2 rates that remain, Bit-Pay uses the highest BID price as our exchange rate.

Now, this is really interesting. Basically if Bitstamp and BTCE are near each other in price, then the Gox price is thrown out.  Kiss

Further, consider what this will due to the volume at Gox. If Gox is always higher, then, I believe this means, Gox will not be getting Bitpay's business. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 09:49:30 PM

Not necessarily ...
Depends upon Bitpay's risk appetite and free cash-flow
They could quite easily play the arbitrage game if they wish, taking in BTC at the Bitstamp bid, selling at Gox and waiting it out.

In reality I think that their own business will suffer most as some people will not want to take an 8% haircut and will simply not use the service while this discrepancy exists
Depends so much on how the situation evolves and if MtGox can maintain client confidence in the interim

No idea how much volume they do, but given the size of the Bitcoin economy relative to the speculative turnover, I cannot imagine it is very much.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 10:46:16 PM

To calculate the exchange rate for US Dollars, we pull up-to-the-minute BID prices from three exchanges. We take the 2 that are closest together and toss out the third, so that a bad feed from one exchange will not affect our calculation. Of the 2 rates that remain, Bit-Pay uses the highest BID price as our exchange rate.

Now, this is really interesting. Basically if Bitstamp and BTCE are near each other in price, then the Gox price is thrown out.  Kiss

Further, consider what this will due to the volume at Gox. If Gox is always higher, then, I believe this means, Gox will not be getting Bitpay's business. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

IAS

This quote is not new.  It has been this way for a long time officially although either their algorithm was more complex than that or at times they over-rode it manually because there have been times before when gox was the outlier but it was still used.  My guess on seeing the announcement is that this means of determining price has been discontinued and superseded by the new one where they are specifically excluding gox and using another means (maybe using btce, bitstamp and cbx (although cbx is really small volume in comparison with the other two).

It is a variation on the old way that I have been using as my means of determining price for some time.  Hence the spreadsheet that gives me this that I occasionally share:

This is the first time I've seen the mtgox volume at less than 50%.  That's quite something.  We live in interesting times Smiley
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 10:51:01 PM

Now, this is really interesting. Basically if Bitstamp and BTCE are near each other in price, then the Gox price is thrown out.  Kiss

IAS

This quote is not new.  It has been this way for a long time officially although either their algorithm was more complex than that or at times they over-rode it manually because there have been times before when gox was the outlier but it was still used.  My guess on seeing the announcement is that this means of determining price has been discontinued and superseded by the new one where they are specifically excluding gox and using another means (maybe using btce, bitstamp and cbx (although cbx is really small volume in comparison with the other two).

It is a variation on the old way that I have been using as my means of determining price for some time.  Hence the spreadsheet that gives me this that I occasionally share:

This is the first time I've seen the mtgox volume at less than 50%.  That's quite something.  We live in interesting times Smiley

where are you getting your volume numbers?
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 11:34:32 PM

7:33 PM 6/22/2013 Just logged out from Coinbase. Pleased to say that while mtgox price is 108.87, Coinbase can buy Bitcoins for my account at just 103.xx. Forget the pennies, that's 5$ less per coin right now and I'm just glad they are smart buyers and pass on some savings. It's good business.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 11:56:02 PM

You can't use US$ for Gox or Bitinstant. Do any of the other exchanges seem to be having problems with the dollar?

Viscera

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:20:44 AM

So it's effective emediatly but there is no price listed? At least no obvious link or price on there page. I'm confused, am I missing it somewhere?
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:01:02 AM

gox is still around?

Mount What?
thoughtfan

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:07:59 AM

So it's effective emediatly but there is no price listed? At least no obvious link or price on there page. I'm confused, am I missing it somewhere?

You can always see BitPay prices here.

And this is how 24 hr volumes and bid prices stand this morning...

Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:55:52 AM

I think you are right. A bit Gox like as far as sparse explanations go.
Wouldn't it be nice if Bitpay had a ticker showing it?

Regarding the effect to the customer (e.g. - us), I don't really see it. For example, if you buy something for $100 USD and pay via Bitpay, regardless of the price of Bitcoin, it is bought and sold at the time of the transaction (unless Bitpay wants to take a chance and stay in BTC). The important difference to the customer will be the spread of the BTC price and not the BTC price.

So, shouldn't Bitpay be looking at the closest spread and not most consistent price (2 of 3 exchanges)Huh

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
Vanderi

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:58:33 AM

MtWhat?
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:34:25 PM

umount -l /dev/gox

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
thoughtfan

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:01:43 PM

I think you are right. A bit Gox like as far as sparse explanations go.
Wouldn't it be nice if Bitpay had a ticker showing it?

Regarding the effect to the customer (e.g. - us), I don't really see it. For example, if you buy something for $100 USD and pay via Bitpay, regardless of the price of Bitcoin, it is bought and sold at the time of the transaction (unless Bitpay wants to take a chance and stay in BTC). The important difference to the customer will be the spread of the BTC price and not the BTC price.

So, shouldn't Bitpay be looking at the closest spread and not most consistent price (2 of 3 exchanges)Huh

IAS

BitPay has in the first instance (for their merchants requiring fiat conversion) to be doing transactions at a rate that enables it to immediately pass the transaction on to an exchange.  Unless they are going to be determining rate to the customer on the size of the order (by calculating it from the order book) the most important thing is liquidity so they don't lose out on slippage.  With only 1% charged on to the merchant I can't see how they could select the exchange that would best suit the customer without risking losing their margin on slippage.

I think the point of showing their rate based on a single bid price is that it is simply passing on the rate it will be getting itself for the conversion.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: