Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:59:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NOOB query about transactions/calculations  (Read 193 times)
Gastonis (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 11:20:27 AM

OK guys so a noob question and kinda mathematical Cheesy  Roll Eyes, when you buy an altcoin through bitcoin (same goes for etherium) in an exchange and the price of the altcoin at that given time is high and that of bitcoin is lets assume 5000USD and after few months the price of the BTC goes to 7000USD and the price of the altcoin drops to half. does this means that if you would like to convert back to BTC and then sell it for USD you are loosing more whereas if the price of the BTC was still the same but the price of the altcoin drops more than half? iam confused any help? Huh
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Str1x

Activity: 140
Merit: 33

Buy me a beer 13mVkBy6HVwKuNovaWzYdF27FB6pLqoJtr

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 01:04:46 PM

OK guys so a noob question and kinda mathematical Cheesy  Roll Eyes, when you buy an altcoin through bitcoin (same goes for etherium) in an exchange and the price of the altcoin at that given time is high and that of bitcoin is lets assume 5000USD and after few months the price of the BTC goes to 7000USD and the price of the altcoin drops to half. does this means that if you would like to convert back to BTC and then sell it for USD you are loosing more whereas if the price of the BTC was still the same but the price of the altcoin drops more than half? iam confused any help? Huh

If you buy altcoin X for 0,5 btc (1500 USD)

x = 0,5 BTC
Bitcoin price now 3K USD

After a while
X= 0,25 BTC (realized losses of 50%)
Bitcon price is up to 6K USD

in Fiat now your investment is worth 0,25 x 6000 = 1.500 USD, so in fiat you didn't lose anything.

But potential loss is 1500 USD if you didn't buy the altcoin and just held your investment in bitcoin.

TLDR: gains and losses can be calculated in bitcoin value and fiat value, choose which one you find more meaningfull.

DarnellL

Activity: 34

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2017, 01:14:09 PM

You complicate things too much.

All you have to do is regularly check altcoin price in USD: if it falls - you lose money, if it grows - you make profits.

BTC in your case is just a yardstick: if BTC has grown faster than your coin - you could earn more keeping BTC, but it doesn't mean you lost money.

Gastonis (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 01:18:25 PM

THANKS guys!! it was really simple at first but then i was confused because i had to pass through the stage of bitcoin (no straight exchange of fiat to altcoin)which is not steady.
Criptomen@30

Activity: 55

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 01:48:18 PM

where can i find more information about bitcoin and other alt coins?
Gastonis (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:24:10 PM

where can i find more information about bitcoin and other alt coins?

what are you after? you can check each altcoin's whitepage/website and even their threads here in the forum (ANN threads) or from various sites such as Medium. BTC has each own section in the forum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: