Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:58:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminum Casascius Coins [sold out]  (Read 4434 times)
d3m0n1q_733rz

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 01:11:47 AM

I would like to know if these are dependent upon a website outside of the BTC network.  If so, that would mean the site needs to be maintained online for these coins to work.  So they may not work 2 or 5 years from now.

Funroll_Loops, the theoretically quicker breakfast cereal!
Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
serp (OP)

Activity: 245

@serp

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 01:49:56 AM

I would like to know if these are dependent upon a website outside of the BTC network.  If so, that would mean the site needs to be maintained online for these coins to work.  So they may not work 2 or 5 years from now.

They are not dependent on any website.  The QR code is a private key of a bitcoin address in WIF.  You can scan it in with a phone wallet app that supports it (the blockchain.info app for example) for easy import.  If you don't have one of those apps you can always scan in the QR code with any qr scanner and then copy/paste the text into any bitcoin wallet.

dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:48:45 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2013, 12:27:06 AM by dwdoc

I received my 10 coins today! They are really nice. A little lighter in weight than I expected but very bright and shiny with a shimmering hologram sticker on the back. I can't wait to hand these out to friends. Thanks Serp!
serp (OP)

@serp

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 12:19:56 AM

I received my 10 conis today! They are really nice. I little lighter in weight than I expected but very bright and shiny with a shimmering hologram sticker on the back. I can't wait to hand these out to friends. Thanks Serp!

Great!  Really glad you like them.

marks1976

Activity: 893

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 06:47:31 AM

Hey Serp I am interested in your coin design.  I sent you a PM.

▄██████
      ▄█▀██████
    ▄█▀  ██████
  ▄█▀    ██████
▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████
███████████████
 ▀█████████████

<█▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄▄

│   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄(▄▄▄
$▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ $▄▄▄▄▄▄: ▄▄▄▄▄
│   █
│   │   //█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄_▄▄▄(▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █████████▄█████▄███████):
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄($▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ - > ▄▄▄▄▄()) ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄:
│   │   ▄▄ (!$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄ !$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄) █
│   │      ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   █

▄███▄        ▄███▄
     ▄███████▄    ▄███████▄
     █████████    █████████
      ███████      ███████
       ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄▄████▄▄▄▄████▄▄
█████████▀███ ██████████████████
███████▀  ███ ██████████████████
       ▄█ 
    ▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄        █▄
    ▀█████████▀   ▄▄▄▄▄███▄
      ▀██       ▄███████████
        ▀              ███▀
                       ▀

P2P CASH
▄▄▄▄▄▄ Send money worldwide fast ▄▄▄▄▄▄

███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
████           ▀██████
████             ██████
████              █████
████             ▄█████      ▄
████            ▄██████    ▄██
████     ▄▄▄▄▄████████    ▄███
████   ▄████████████▀   ▄█████
████ ▄███████████▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▀         ▄█████████
████████▀  ▄▄███████████▀ ████
██████▀  ▄████████████▀   ████
████▀   ███████▀▀▀▀▀▀     ████
██▀    ██████▀            ████
▀      █████              ████
       █████              ████
       █████▄             ████
       ▀██████▄           ████
        ▀█████████████████████
          ▀███████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ safe an easy with P2P ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
P2P is the open source smart
contract platform
fully dedicated to
international money transactions

▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄
  ████████████████
 ██████████████████
▄████▄  ███▄  ▄████▄
█████▄  ███▄  ▄█████
████████████████████
 ▄████  ▄▄▄▄  ████▄

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀
███

███
██████████████████████████

JOIN

██████████████████████████
███
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
███
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:53:50 PM

any updates about the next batch and accepting paypal?  Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2215
Merit: 1057

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:15:03 PM

mine arrived today, very professional Smiley

space for rent, shilling for sats
serp (OP)

@serp

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 06:45:21 PM

any updates about the next batch and accepting paypal?  Smiley

Hope to have a new set here soon.  Probably no paypal though Sad
I'll have a new post when they are ready.

serp (OP)

@serp

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 06:46:00 PM

Thank you!  Glad you like them.

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 11:38:42 PM

Been a little busy lately but I wanted to reply,

Serp is great to work with, very professional and fast shipping.

I ordered them via PM on June 26th, They shipped out on the 27th via USPS first class mail delivered on July 1st.

The coins themselves are light as is to be expected for being aluminum and all but overall they are very nice.

Congrats serp, keep up the good work, please let me know when you have more in stock, I will be buying more for my twin 10 year olds.

If anybody wants pics, let me know and I will post some on this thread.

Happy Friday!

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
KingOfSports

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:05:55 AM

Thank you!  Glad you like them.

Would you be able to make 10 of these coins each with .1 on them instead of .01? and print 100 mBTC on them and such. If so what would be your shipped price for the lot?

serp (OP)

@serp

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 01:23:53 AM

Been a little busy lately but I wanted to reply,

Serp is great to work with, very professional and fast shipping.

I ordered them via PM on June 26th, They shipped out on the 27th via USPS first class mail delivered on July 1st.

The coins themselves are light as is to be expected for being aluminum and all but overall they are very nice.

Congrats serp, keep up the good work, please let me know when you have more in stock, I will be buying more for my twin 10 year olds.

If anybody wants pics, let me know and I will post some on this thread.

Happy Friday!

Awesome, so glad you like them and thank you for your comments.

serp (OP)

@serp

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 01:30:41 AM

Would you be able to make 10 of these coins each with .1 on them instead of .01? and print 100 mBTC on them and such. If so what would be your shipped price for the lot?

Hey KingofSports, I answered you in pm but I'll put this out here too.

The next set will be done as soon as I get back home (next week sometime).  They will be 0.05 btc (50 mBTC) denomination and there will be 48 of them total like the first set.  I'll make a new post when they are finished.

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 01:32:58 AM

Hey KingofSports, I answered you in pm but I'll put this out here too.

The next set will be done as soon as I get back home (next week sometime).  They will be 0.05 btc (50 mBTC) denomination and there will be 48 of them total like the first set.  I'll make a new post when they are finished.

I will take 10 please, same shipping info as before.
Let me know when you are ready to open purchasing.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 02:30:23 AM

Very cool!  Very impressed!

How are you printing on these?  Are you lasering them?  Transparent labels?

I own an Epilog Mini laser machine I use for my other stuff.  It's an infrared CO2 laser.  This laser won't do squat to the aluminum coins, the beam just reflects off with no effect - unless I pre-coat the coins with something like CerMark spray, which is a bit expensive (not to mention messy), but makes the mark a nice solid black sort of how yours look.  Are you doing something similar, or perhaps have a different type of equipment that can mark bare metal?

I also have colored anodized aluminum coins.  The laser will burn off the coloring and leave nice silver-white lettering behind, but I haven't gotten around to developing software to feed unique private keys to the laser machine quite yet.  And the anodized aluminum coins cost a fair bit more than the bare ones.

Also I have more of the aluminum coins on the way with flat backs (no recess) and I will be shipping them out by default in future orders after they arrive.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
serp (OP)

@serp

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 03:10:25 AM

Very cool!  Very impressed!

How are you printing on these?  Are you lasering them?  Transparent labels?

I own an Epilog Mini laser machine I use for my other stuff.  It's an infrared CO2 laser.  This laser won't do squat to the aluminum coins, the beam just reflects off with no effect - unless I pre-coat the coins with something like CerMark spray, which is a bit expensive (not to mention messy), but makes the mark a nice solid black sort of how yours look.  Are you doing something similar, or perhaps have a different type of equipment that can mark bare metal?

I also have colored anodized aluminum coins.  The laser will burn off the coloring and leave nice silver-white lettering behind, but I haven't gotten around to developing software to feed unique private keys to the laser machine quite yet.  And the anodized aluminum coins cost a fair bit more than the bare ones.

Also I have more of the aluminum coins on the way with flat backs (no recess) and I will be shipping them out by default in future orders after they arrive.

Hey Casascius, I'm actually using some silver foil labels.  I originally looked at trying to laser on the coins directly as I have a close friend who does that sort of thing as a business but I ran into the same issues you did.

I would be interested when you get the flat back coins in.  The recess sometimes causes me fits when putting a label on without an air pocket Smiley

serp (OP)

@serp

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 03:28:21 AM

Your holograms look horrible, sorry.

haha thanks for your input?  You just made my night.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 03:50:33 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2013, 10:50:37 AM by casascius

Spend more money on the holograms.

For being a candidate for a cheap low cost proof of concept "tip jar" coin, I think they look pretty darn good.

Sure yeah, spend $5000 on custom holograms.  Pad that cost into the price.  Then you'll end up with a coin that cost too much you won't want to give away, defeating the whole purpose of a low cost coin.

EDIT: simply to add this acknowledgment that I responded to a hacker

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 04:05:48 AM

Hey Casascius, I'm actually using some silver foil labels.  I originally looked at trying to laser on the coins directly as I have a close friend who does that sort of thing as a business but I ran into the same issues you did.

I would be interested when you get the flat back coins in.  The recess sometimes causes me fits when putting a label on without an air pocket Smiley

If you'd be interested in the anodized (colored) aluminum ones, the price is a bit higher (like 20 cents more a coin), but if you have access to a laser machine and can script a job for it the same way you did these labels, you might be able to mass produce coins just by laying them on the bed.  I have several colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple.

Also I thought you mentioned you were using tweezers to place the labels and that it was slow.  Here is another way that has always worked fabulously for me.  Go to HomeDepot.com and do a search for "706060" (this is the manufacturer's item number, or search by home depot's SKU 538167).  It's brown paper tape meant for painters that is weakly sticky, and only on one edge.  I use the sticky edge to pick up a row of labels off a sheet, and the non-sticky portion is large enough to make it easy to hold and position stickers.  This might or might not work for scratchoffs if it's too sticky to take the scratch away, but will definitely work with holograms or non-scratch stickers.

KingOfSports

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:16:18 AM

Lealana coins does it better.

Lealana coins has not even sent any coins out. There is even a scam accusation against smoothie regarding the ccoins. Stop posting random comments on a lot of threads that you aren't even interested in just to bring your post count higher.

By the way, good for you Casascius for being open and helpful to any new competition. Good to see that in today's market where monopoly's are every company's goal it seems like.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: