Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:10:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 390 Guru's needed ! Please help me out on this one  (Read 220 times)
Valmara (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 05:34:18 PM

Guys, i am rocking 3x R9 390's and i can't seem to troubleshoot it anymore.

Issue:  Getting the GPU returned incorrect data!   Message which freezes the system rendering further mining useless.
Happens sometimes after 30 minutes and sometimes after days.

Seems to happening to GPU0 the most but i switched the GPU's to no avail. Installed all sort of drivers, no avail.
Even removed a troubling GPU and then it seems okay and after some time it appeared again.

Read something about people power limiting GPU's to prevent this, any ideas ?
Any specific drivers recommend for the R9 390 ?

Btw, running Win7 64, using Nicehash Legacy but the system will also hang using claymore mining when mining any other coin.
I do NOT care about electricity, just want to have a stable system.

Who can shed a light on this please ?
andydis

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2017, 05:43:50 PM

Are the gpu's overclocked?

first step would be set them back to factory.

I wouldn't recommend nicehash legacy.

use claymore and lower the intensity   ( -i 4,4,6,6,6,5,6 )

if the problem persists get a USB watchDOG and just set the miner to start on startup and live with it, it will just reboot when theres a problem and start mining , you wont miss much.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hardware-WatchDog-PC-USB-For-Mining-Unattended-Operation-Crash-Auto-Recover/263151123219?epid=2181387617&hash=item3d45077b13:g:2mEAAOSwYeRZ8FMm

Valmara (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:02:22 PM

Thank you for responding !

NO, they are all bonestock ... Well, i think they are.
Funny thing is that 2 of them are identical MSI's yet 1 is running 1040mhz while the other at 1000Mhz .. In the radeon settings they are identical (apart from the core clock value).
Anyway to flash them to 100% factory default just to make sure ?
The other one btw is a 1025mhz Gigabyte windforce.

Any Claymore version you recommend ?  What about Radeon drivers ? (There are so many and usually the latest are not always the best for an older card like the 390.

Thank you for the Watchdog USB, didn't know such a device existed !  I am a Novice in mining so that probably explains.
andydis

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2017, 06:10:11 PM

get everything back to factory defaults for testing

Drivers =   15.12 http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-15-12-driver-download.html or  Block Chain Optimized

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-Beta-for-[Suspicious link removed]pute-Release-Notes.aspx

, Nothing else i would recommend.

Claymore  12.5 AMD GPU MINER.   USE THE -r option aswell to force reboot if there is an issue.
Valmara (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:14:25 PM

Thanks, i will do that !
Any recommendations for a good Driver cleaner prior to installing the Blockchain optimized drivers ?
I know the Radeon software is supposed to remove the old ones but after installing about 6 - 7 driver sets i am sure it's not all squeeky clean.

i am even contemplating to format the PC and start over from scratch, but i would like to attempt a proper cleaning if possible to save a lot of time.

Proton2233

Activity: 434
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:15:20 PM

In my installations there is one GPU R9 200. I think that there is no difference. I have everything working without problems. Is installed in the system Windows 10. 64 Sometimes of course it may freeze up the system but it seems to me that it is not hardware dependent. I get freezes 1 time a day, but then without any changes in the system of a few months, everything works flawlessly.
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:21:02 PM

Like other maybe change intensivity.
bouldou

Activity: 403
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:33:06 PM

Are you sure you PSU is powerful enough ? R9 390 draw lots of power

What is your PSU unit ?

Vous voulez une Lambo ? Investissez dans le YENTEN : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2706079.0
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:37:51 PM

It depends on the PSU also and where it is located. It should be a good one at about 1200 watt to handle 3 x R9 390 correctly. I had a problem with hanging freezing like you do.

I kept the PSU inside a rack and once the PSU would get really warm , well more than warm would cause all start of problems up to screen freezing and nothing happening. Once I opened the rack and give the PSU good ventilation and now the PSU is almost cold all the time, it is running smoothly from a few days.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Valmara (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:31:36 PM

Are you sure you PSU is powerful enough ? R9 390 draw lots of power

What is your PSU unit ?

Good question !
I had issues before as i had a OZC 500W and just 1 390 and a 7950 which was too much.
Upgraded to a OZC 750W and no issues, even with 2x 390. I added the 7950 using the seperate 500W and worked well
Added the 3rd 390 and then it was an issue again so i got an used 1400W Antec psu and no worries.

All well and after days it all started falling apart with data errors and lock ups. Removed cards, changed risers.
Let 2 cards out, went back to 750 and 500W config ... Then back to just 1 390 and 750W and no joy for long.

Hence why i am lost and it looks like i need to go back to the start.
Strange that i was mining for 2 weeks with 3x390 and no issues at all and now nothing seems stable.
Valmara (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:39:46 PM

It depends on the PSU also and where it is located. It should be a good one at about 1200 watt to handle 3 x R9 390 correctly. I had a problem with hanging freezing like you do.

I kept the PSU inside a rack and once the PSU would get really warm , well more than warm would cause all start of problems up to screen freezing and nothing happening. Once I opened the rack and give the PSU good ventilation and now the PSU is almost cold all the time, it is running smoothly from a few days.

1x 750 in the rack and had 1x 1400W outside and could get all the air it needed Just had 1 and then 2x 390 on the 1400W but no joy for long.

So many F******* variables to work out.
I do regret getting into mining as i did invest gradually as it worked out great with 1 card, then added another, then another, PSU, etc and then things took a turn. Now can't get it stable with just 1.

Will try changing the intensity and if that doesn't work i will need to format the C: partition and do a clean install and go with Windows10 this time. It is my main machine so not looking forward to it as i need to copy, backup, move so many files because there will be no going back after that.  Undecided
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: