Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:19:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux desktop = fail (lubuntu)  (Read 1445 times)
PrintMule (OP)

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 11:59:06 PM

Hey guys! I heard from all the linux trolls sitting in windows irc channel how this thing is so much superior, and free, and customizable, but yet user friendly and not hard at all for newcomers.
While I have used linux livecd's in the past and they helped me a great deal, my attempt at installing linux as a desktop system resulted in immediate set of fails.

1st attempt. I was at work, where we have one old ass computer which has xp on it and is quite sluggish. I found the most lighweight/usble distro named TinyCore. It's really small, and it works. Kinda anal on privacy and stuff, but that's a good thing, right?So, a success. Now we can try more serious, yet light on resources distro. Google results in lubuntu.

2nd attempt. I install lubuntu from cd, cause from inside windows it does not provide me with any partition managing options, and I cannot select any other partition other than disk C (windows system). I create ext4 partition, make swap, install, choose language and timezone, it says "everything is ok, now you just have to restart and we are all set". But while we got there - I've noticed some strange gpu related artifacts on my screen, I did not pay attention much. After restart (power off,then power on next day) - it does not show me anything but black screen with "-" blinking in a corner. I try out different hotkey combinations and alt+ctrl+f1 does it for me, I have login prompt. After I log in - i have terminal available and that's all. GUI refuses to start with errors. As I find out later there's no good driver for my old pc integrated gpu in the kernel, or anywhere on the net. "Pfffft" - I voice myself in frustration. "So much for omnipotent linux". But as it's a specific hardware/software issue largely on my part I decide to give it a spin at home. I have the distro cd burned in, don't I?

3rd attempt. I connect my optical (btw it's 1st time in 2 years that I had to use it at home). Insert lubuntu, install, it goes much faster than on work, I'm happy with that. We get to pick a username, password, it asks for restart. After restart we have to log in using password, and hoorray, I'm on a desktop. First thing to pop up was this "software updater" (or manager) saying I need to update for some 100mb. There's a settings button in this updater. I press that first. Nothing pops out, and rest became greyed out. I wait. I wait. I wait. Settings pop out finally. I change nothing and close them. Everything still grey. I wait. I wait. I wait. There we go. Install. "Please authenticate using your password" it says. I enter my pass, it blinks, says i'm wrong and asks again. I enter it again, it disappears with no progress. Later I would repeat that multiple times, would check if I typed it correctly in some office app, and try to copy that from there with no avail. So - in the end we have it: not the best driver support, and thing does not work as intended from the very fucking start. Way to attract newbies. I find at google that you need to try typing "sudo install update apk bla bla, suck my balls" from a terminal, but THAT DEFEATS THE WHOLE GODDAMN POINT.

I try to enter lubuntu/ubunu/linux IRC at freenode, but I need either Java or some IRC app for that, and I'm guessing this thing will prompt me for pass again, so don't bother. I go back to win8, visit IRC, ask around and these are the answers I get:

##linux (guyN1) lubuntu is not good, try xubuntu or ubuntu or kubuntu
           (guyN2) lubuntu is shit
#lubuntu (guysN1 N2 N3) write a bug report, ask a volunteer around or type "sudo install update apk bla bla, suck my balls"

After a while I told #lubuntu guys that ##linux guys said that "lubuntu is hit", which they pobably took to heart

So, that's my experience with using linux as desktop environment.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 12:06:24 AM

<3 windows yada yada yada

Try Linux Mint
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:21:52 AM

Mint and Fedora are the two with the best new user support IMHO.

I like the RPM package manager so I personally use Fedora.

Fedora is a little resource hungrier than Mint, at least default install, you may be able to tweak it some for hardware that is older and lacking.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
bezzeb

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:50:00 AM

I wouldn't recommend any of those Ubuntu forks, your essentially running applications designed for Gnome/Unity but are using a different window manager and patches to make it all work.

Install the original Ubuntu (12.04 for LTS), uninstall unity shit and install the old gnome, and you are set, it's not as lightweight as lubuntu but it is still orders of magnitudes lighter than any non-linux OS, especially when you clean out the unity crap.

Overall, Ubuntu was the best OS by far, until they brang in that unity crap.

Forks are important sometimes to get a well prepared Desktop UI that doesn't anger you or require a lot of time to setup DIY.  Rather than use Old Gnome (meaning version 2) i can highly recommend the Mate project as it's still under active development unlike Gnome2.  I totally agree though that Gnome3 and Unity suck balls.

To the OP:  Dude you're doing it wrong.  I've been using Linux for many years and have migrated half my family over to it happily.  Guidance I can give from my experience to keep it easy:

1. Use hardware which is Linux friendly (avoid proprietary driver pigs), and invest a few small dollars to at least buy a computer that was built in the last 2-4 years.  While you can get Linux working on virtually all ancient hardware that has ever existed, it's often not easy for noobs.  Also, llightweight distributions like Lubuntu are often lacking in both ease of use and mainstream support.  So if you want it easy, use somewhat fresh hardware and pick a major distribution.  Ubuntu or it's step-child Mint (Fedora is worth a mention) are probably the top choice for trouble free day to day use as they have graphical software for essentially all functions you could ever wish for, thus avoiding the command terminal if it's not your thang.  They're also very active communities which is a huge benefit.

2.  Pick your desktop.  Unlike MS and Apple's UI tyrany, Linux has choices for how your desktop works.  Your choice doesn't matter much as long as you go check out the different desktop environments that are available and pick one you like the look and feel of.  For example:  Mate desktop is my thing.  All the newest major distributions piss me off because they make you re-learn simple things in inferior ways.  Indeed, most of the narcissistic UI designers out there working on the "major" GUI's (I include MS and Apple in this camp) seem to be openly hostile towards end users.  Like we shouldn't worry our tiny little pea sized brains about anything but facebook and twitter updates.

But then if all you do is email, facebook and twitter, then these dumbed down GUI's might be just your thing - who am I to say?  Go watch youtube videos or check out web pages to see what's available and pick one you dig.  The main ones are (in my personal order of preference): Mate, XFCE, KDE, Cinnamon, Unity, Gnome3.

3. For laptops: Update the BIOS.  I have often been horrified over the years at the shockingly bad quality of bios software when a new laptop first hits the streets.  The MFG's fix all their mistakes after people have purchased the hardware, and old BIOS will lead to strange bugs with almost any OS.  In fact you should do this BEFORE installing any OS to ensure that everything is discovered and configured correctly.  I've seen this fix several laptops with power management issues, and hardware feature support.  It's not always the fault of the OS if hardware acts strange or suspend isn't reliable - it's often bugs in BIOS that lead to unstable OS hardware interfaces.   And this advice also works for Windows machines!!  Seen it many times so word to the wise.

If one follows the above, they should have smooth sailing.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:57:05 AM

Yes, Ubuntu is a massive usability fail. I don't get it. The Ubuntu people are constantly saying "we need to make Linux more user-friendly" and then they go and create something like Unity. Roll Eyes That's why I recommend MEPIS for newbies. It "just works" even with oddball hardware, and uses KDE instead of GNOME as its window manager, which is much easier to use (especially if you're coming from a Windows environment).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:05:59 AM

The Ubuntu people looked for a way to monetize usability. That's why they failed.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:33:32 AM

I wouldn't recommend any of those Ubuntu forks, your essentially running applications designed for Gnome/Unity but are using a different window manager and patches to make it all work.

Install the original Ubuntu (12.04 for LTS), uninstall unity shit and install the old gnome, and you are set, it's not as lightweight as lubuntu but it is still orders of magnitudes lighter than any non-linux OS, especially when you clean out the unity crap.

Overall, Ubuntu was the best OS by far, until they brang in that unity crap.
Yeah, I was pretty pissed at Canonical when they threw GNOME out the window. The first version with unity caused my old HP laptop to kernel panic all the time!

11.10 wasn't much better. It was f*cking slow!

I quit Ubuntu for awhile, and used Fedora.

I now run a combo of Windows 7 and Mint on the new i5 rig I built.
bezzeb

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 02:55:48 PM

Yes, Ubuntu is a massive usability fail. I don't get it. The Ubuntu people are constantly saying "we need to make Linux more user-friendly" and then they go and create something like Unity. Roll Eyes That's why I recommend MEPIS for newbies. It "just works" even with oddball hardware, and uses KDE instead of GNOME as its window manager, which is much easier to use (especially if you're coming from a Windows environment).

Well one must always qualify the usability fail with what desktop environment they were using.  My point:  ANY Linux + Unity or Gnome3 = fail.  Hell look at Windows 8, they copied some of the idiocy in Gnome 3 and Unity, and it is also 100% fail.  So you see, the kernel generally has nothing to do with any of the things people usually blame on an operating system now days... 

It's all down to passive aggressive narcissistic software developers who call themselves "usability experts" and convince pointy haired bosses that we users are too stupid to know how to use our computers.  Bah, don't buy it. 

This uber-simple UI movement is essentially taking Bugatti Veyron engines and chassis, and then throwing away the super sexy body work and luxury interior only to replace it with the body of an ice cream truck.  In this case, Linux is the super car foundation, while Unity and Gnome 3 are ice cream truck user interfaces.  They are superficially fun looking, but they do not perform well and never intend to do anything more than deliver a scoop of over priced, half melted, emulsified sugar slime.   An ice cream truck will not haul a ton of bricks to a construction site or break speed limits, and it will definitely not be easy to drive on challenging roads.

If one just picks a mature and well proven high productivity interface like Mate or KDE, then they will probably quote "like Linux" even though the kernel has almost nothing to do with their experience.  Ubuntu really harmed the Linux brand by throwing these half-assed desktops at the world.  Mint IMHO takes the best of Ubuntu and then provides ready to go desktops like Mate which are ready to get shit done with minimum fuss.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:00:42 PM

Lubuntu? I'm pretty surprised that you ended up with that through google. Weird stuff.

+1 for Mint. At first when I tried Unity I was like 'oh wow this is new'. Now it's annoying tbh.
PrintMule (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:37:04 PM

I like how divided comments are in their recommendations, but how united against that "unity shit". Guess I'll try mint tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
BTCTalkAccounts

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:55:15 AM

I like how divided comments are in their recommendations, but how united against that "unity shit". Guess I'll try mint tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah, Unity is similar to Windows 8's new UI. It was designed with touchscreens in mind but sadly It just sucks IMO. I don't like it at all, the old UI was just perfect.

It seems like we all have different recommendations, but most of the distro's mentioned here are based on Debian and are very alike, so really we're not so divided. There are a lot of distro's to choose from.
PrintMule (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:18:42 AM

Funniest part is that I love using windows 8 more than 7. Sometimes I even use a metro app! But those could see much improvement. Switching start menu with full page menu is not so bad. Also more prominent hotkeys.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
BTCTalkAccounts

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:23:25 AM

Funniest part is that I love using windows 8 more than 7. Sometimes I even use a metro app! But those could see much improvement. Switching start menu with full page menu is not so bad. Also more prominent hotkeys.

You are the first person I have heard of who didn't immediately uninstall Windows 8 after they tried it, thats the honest truth, lol!

You should install the latest Ubuntu then and see what you think. Unity's menu is similar to Windows 8's full screen dealio, you also get the amazing driver support, I haven't needed to install a driver in years. The last computer I built, I installed Ubuntu and everything worked out of the box, I even got an old laptop recently for traveling and everything including the fingerprint scanner was automatically detected and set up for me, that one surprised me!

You can always just run the live CD and see what you think without installing, but the install is simple, you can make it automate the install process even.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: