Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 08:25:31 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory crashes after 24 Hrs Trying to Receive BTC  (Read 421 times)
bobdsb (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:05:31 AM

I have a Win 7 old system (2GB Ram) trying to use it as cold storage. When I switch to Armory (0.Cool online to receive a BTC transaction fromMt.Gox it runs for a day but always dies at 90% or so. Where are my sent Bitcoins now and how do I receive them?
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 10:16:11 AM

Armory requires a LOT of RAM so that might be the problem. Don't know about the bitcoins though.

bobdsb (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 01:52:48 AM

I'll try again. Since Armory/Bitcoin-Qt wont work on my old PC, can I create a new "hot storage" wallet to receive my bitcoins without having to download the full blockchain? Can I think of a "wallet" as something that filters my personal transactions out of the entire blockchain rather than something I need to guarantee ownership? If so, then I can't lose any bitcoins by (at least temporarily) creating another wallet that "works". Right?
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 04:15:15 AM

I'll try again. Since Armory/Bitcoin-Qt wont work on my old PC, can I create a new "hot storage" wallet to receive my bitcoins without having to download the full blockchain? Can I think of a "wallet" as something that filters my personal transactions out of the entire blockchain rather than something I need to guarantee ownership? If so, then I can't lose any bitcoins by (at least temporarily) creating another wallet that "works". Right?

Your wallet contains your private key, which is what proves your ownership of your addresses. Without your private key, you can't spend your Bitcoins. If you create a new wallet in a different client, it won't affect your Armory wallet at all, but it also won't give you access to any of your old addresses.

To get at the Bitcoins attached to your Armory wallet, you'll have to get Armory running enough to export your private key. You can take that exported key and use it in another client, such as MultiBit or Electrum, or in an online wallet like Blockchain.info. If you can't even get Armory to export your key on your system, you can try taking the .wallet file and loading it into an install of Armory on another PC, then exporting there.

bobdsb (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 05:32:29 AM

@orymh
Thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestions
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: