Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:01:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Refusing to pay lost bet.  (Read 465 times)
bambarmia (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:31:07 AM

I made a bet (BTC 0.1) with user minestro that bitcore price will be not less than $4  on November 9. 2017.

Here are the details:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1883902.msg21755220#msg21755220

Here in the price chart you can see that the price of bitcore on 9th of November was $10

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcore/

But that guy is refusing to pay me.
I'm asking DT members to give him a negative trust.

Here is the profile of minestro:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1039859

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 06:12:36 AM

He's online today, have you tried PMing him?

since he essentially said that he would be hedging his bet with you with an investment into Bitcore of 0.01 BTC, he should have enough money to repay you. Unless of course he never made the investment into Bitcore and he was just hoping that you would lose.

This is why if you want to bet on these things, use a legit platform like fairlay or at least use a trusted forum escrow. Taking a full member's word who has no trust for a bet worth $700 will not turn out well in 9/10 cases.
minestro

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

Bitcore (BTX) - The Future is Now

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 07:06:42 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2017, 10:01:27 AM by minestro

Just my 2 cents:
No final airdrop -> No lost bet
Or do you want to dispute that there was no final airdrop? No there wasn't because the devs canceled it. There was a 25% airdrop instead of the planned final airdrop of 1400%. And as you can see for yourself the airdrop wasn't final at all, the devs are still giving away 3% and more airdrops every week.

and just to be thorough, you never sent a btc address and you are a strange one to threaten someone if he/she wants to pay...

bambarmia (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 11:57:08 AM

Just my 2 cents:

and just to be thorough, you never sent a btc address and you are a strange one to threaten someone if he/she wants to pay...

Dude... all of us know that even if they will dump all coins reserved for airdrop today, the price will never go below $4. Because now it is $32 !! https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcore/ You have already lost the bet under any circumstances Here is my proposal: You pay me the half of what you lost now, 0.05 BTC and we will forget about everything.  Here is my BTC account. 3FfZc2rxDWGJCFumNW1Rpu1kjWUTpFHfBN
minestro

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 12:41:08 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2017, 01:00:07 PM by minestro

Just my 2 cents:

Dude... all of us know that even if they will dump all coins reserved for airdrop today, the price will never go below $4. Because now it is $32 !! https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcore/ You have already lost the bet under any circumstances Here is my proposal: You pay me the half of what you lost now, 0.05 BTC and we will forget about everything.  Here is my BTC account. 3FfZc2rxDWGJCFumNW1Rpu1kjWUTpFHfBN

You're a funny person. I don't care what would happen. I know what happened and especially what didn't happen, the final airdrop we bet on. So I didn't loose anything and I'm not feeling obliged in any way to pay anything. Even not if your next post is in all bolds and caps Smiley Perhaps you wanna use some more colors to lighten up your mood.
As far as I'm concerned I'm done talking about this. I made my case. Do your rant and feel treated unfair as much as it pleases you.

bambarmia (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 01:40:30 PM

I know what happened and especially what didn't happen, the final airdrop we bet on.

First of all, nobody knew that they would change the rules of airdrop. If they didn't, I could lose the bet... By the time of the betting, both of us were facing the same risks... but the scammers like you will always find an excuse for not paying....  I have good news for you.. here is the answer from bitcore developer saying, that the final airdrop will be 02/2018. All of us will see the price of bitcore at the date mentioned in dev's answer, and it will be the clear confirmation that you have lost your bet. But I'm more than sure, that even after that, you will find more scammy excuses to avoid payment.

mosprognoz

Activity: 868
Merit: 278

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 02:17:41 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2017, 03:02:04 PM by mosprognoz

since he essentially said that he would be hedging his bet with you with an investment into Bitcore of 0.01 BTC, he should have enough money to repay you. Unless of course he never made the investment into Bitcore and he was just hoping that you would lose.

This is why if you want to bet on these things, use a legit platform like fairlay or at least use a trusted forum escrow. Taking a full member's word who has no trust for a bet worth $700 will not turn out well in 9/10 cases.
I'm sure that he hedged his bet and got more than enough money to pay out.  The problem is that people like him will never pay for a lost bet. It's a good warning for other community members, so they can avoid dealing with him. And yea, you are right about a legit platform like fairlay.  
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:33:36 PM

Do you guys know each other or are complete strangers to each other ? If you are strangers ,what made you believe the credibility of the other ? Is this how the bets work ? Aren’t you both suppose to send funds beforehand to a trusted third party ? Correct me if I’m wrong but this case looks pretty silly to me.Technically ,I wouldn’t call that a scam since no btc was lost.
minestro

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 04:02:28 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2017, 04:43:28 PM by minestro

I'm sure that he hedged his bet and got more than enough money to pay out.  The problem is that people like him will never pay for a lost bet. It's a good warning for other community members, so they can avoid dealing with him. And yea, you are right about a legit platform like fairlay.   
If there would have been something like the final aidrop, which we had bet on, I would have no problem in paying. What would you do if you bet on the score of a football/soccer game, you say "Yes, I bet on that team Pink is going to loose". Now short before the start of the game the refs decide to get rid of the goals. So the game ends 0:0. Because there were no goals, no one could score one. Would you say you lost your bet and pay? Since as it goes after bambarmia you obviously lost your bet.
Do you guys know each other or are complete strangers to each other ? If you are strangers ,what made you believe the credibility of the other ? Is this how the bets work ? Aren’t you both suppose to send funds beforehand to a trusted third party ? Correct me if I’m wrong but this case looks pretty silly to me.Technically ,I wouldn’t call that a scam since no btc was lost.
No, we didn't know each other. As you can see from the thread, we came to this bet because he argued pushing 15 times the circulating supply into the market wouldn't effect the price of a coin that much. Since there was no such push, and the bet was agreed on the basis of such a push (final airdrop), I don't see any basis for any bet.

mosprognoz

Activity: 868
Merit: 278

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 06:45:22 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2017, 07:06:22 PM by mosprognoz

If there would have been something like the final aidrop, which we had bet on, I would have no problem in paying. What would you do if you bet on the score of a football/soccer game, you say "Yes, I bet on that team Pink is going to loose". Now short before the start of the game the refs decide to get rid of the goals. So the game ends 0:0. Because there were no goals, no one could score one. Would you say you lost your bet and pay? Since as it goes after bambarmia you obviously lost your bet.
I used to gamble before, but I never heard, that refs decide to get rid of the goals before start of the game  Grin Last year there was a game in Italy serie A when due to bad behavior of fans the game was played on neutral location and on empty stadium. After that was announced, odds changed dramatically, and I definitely wanted to get my bet back (Do not pay to bookies) Of course nobody returned my money and unfortunately I lost my bet. Here is the same situation.. Authorities changed the rules of a game and you are trying to cash out your bet and do not pay.. The difference is that bookies will never let you cash out a placed bet, but here on bitcointalk you can easily do that by just refusing to pay. I'm sorry, but your behavior looks pretty scammy.  
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 08:15:15 PM

From my understanding, the devs would airdrop 1400% of their supply? ( wut?), But they ended up only dropping 25%?

This means that, if this is real, means that the circumstances under which the bet is made are changed.

I'm not an expert on this, but usually under certain events, your bet could actually get canceled. https://support.skybet.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/188/~/why-have-you-voided-my-bet%3F

On occasions, we reserve the right to void bets if circumstances behind an event or market change
I also think this is a bit far-fetched. You guys have never really made a deal, this was only a response, a bit of "shittalking".

Would've you thought about paying HIM if you would lose? Would he even get anything if you were to lose? As he stated, you never asked for an adress for the funds or anything like that, and now that you've supposedly "won", you start threathening him to pay "up".

Just my two cents, I'm not saying that minestro did nothing wrong, but you're acting as if you had a black-on-white transaction.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: