Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:54:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: People are overspeculating potential profits for bitcoin Mining  (Read 1976 times)
hamiltino (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 08:16:51 AM

From the graph: http://blockchain.info/charts/total-bitcoins

We can see that the line is flatenning out, i see people thinking they will be able to make big profits with ASIC mining but the fact is there is only around 10 million bitcoins left and the flatter line is indicating that mining will become really slow. Also take into account that the rest of the 10 million bitcoins will be mined by 2100+ compared to the 5-6 years that 11 million have been mined in the past. You would rather invest your money in as much bitcoins as you can buy now and wait for the prices to go up in my opinion.

stacking coin
pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 08:19:30 AM

sssshhhh shut the f*** up, I have to sell my Jala for 3K $ on ebay, and is not yet delivered.  Wink

For rent
torbank

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 08:49:52 AM

That is because the generation is also flattening over time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Total_bitcoins_over_time.png

http://blockchain.info/charts/total-bitcoins?showDataPoints=false&show_header=true&daysAverageString=1&timespan=all&scale=1&address=
hamiltino (OP)

Activity: 644

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:49:01 AM

Ok if that first link is truly  reflective of bitcoin mining then mining is still worth it, thanks for the reply.

stacking coin
GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:34:36 PM

Ok if that first link is truly  reflective of bitcoin mining then mining is still worth it, thanks for the reply.

'These are not the droids you are looking for.'
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 07:05:35 PM

Mining is worth it as long as your costs to accomplish the mining are less than the value of the amount you will mine.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 07:23:13 AM

Mining is worth it as long as your costs to accomplish the mining are less than the value of the amount you will mine.

unless you keep your mined coins until it becomes 1 BTC = 1 Milion Dolar :p

For rent
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 02:56:28 AM

You're also pretty likely to have 1 BTC go back down to $19 or $35 dollars, just as likely probably for it to go to $150...

You payz yer money and you takes yer changes.

It's all part of the fun !

Grin Grin Grin Grin

mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:53:59 PM

no, because they it would be cheaper to buy coins directly.

Dollars should not enter the picture at all.

Look at the costs in bitcoins only.
GigaWave

Activity: 239

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:13:56 PM

Ok if that first link is truly  reflective of bitcoin mining then mining is still worth it, thanks for the reply.

no, because they it would be cheaper to buy coins directly.

Dollars should not enter the picture at all.

Look at the costs in bitcoins only.

Most miners are not going to mine at a cost to themselves. IE. not cashing out BTC to at least pay the power consumption. (Most miners want some kind of cut in addition to the power to make it worth  their time also) So yes, USD(or what ever fiat for the miners country) is completely relevant. You can't pay the power company with BTC, at least not yet anyway.
lazydna

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:30:44 PM

people are going to be in for a rude awakening soon.
mining hardware is grossly overpriced and judging from people on these forums and the number of people still buying USB miners and blades, they don't know shit about how difficulty scales.

superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:46:31 PM

I don't think there is so many people betting all their life on bitcoins.

We mostly do it for fun or experiment like talking on this forum... do you get any money from it ? no, it's just for the fun.
lazydna

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:53:22 PM

We mostly do it for fun or experiment like talking on this forum... do you get any money from it ? no, it's just for the fun.

I like making money.
I don't like to lose money.

IF i have a hobby that can make money, that's much more fun then a hobby that loses money, no?

i mean, it's basic math.
people dropping 10Grand on machines that won't ROI?
or 200USD on machines that won't ROI?

if that's fun, well. enjoy donating money to hardware companies, i'm sure they appreciate it.

superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 08:05:30 PM

I like making money.

IF i have a hobby that can make money, that's much more fun then a hobby that loses money, no?

i mean, it's basic math.

if that's fun, well. enjoy donating money to hardware companies, i'm sure they appreciate it.

By fun I mean that you won't invest a "crazy" amount of money. For some people spending 2000USD is nothing for some other it is.

If you really want to make money you know mining hardware is not the way to go but building your mining rig is fun.
Making big money on Bitcoin is not a hobby, it's a hard work.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:51:07 AM

I like making money.

i mean, it's basic math.

no, you want to make easy money

mining is braindead simple these days so of course there is low ROI unless you gots the brains to make your ASIC chips and boards from scratch then you make ROI or perhaps you just need to get your pre-order scam going.. 

scamming is a hobby too

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: