Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:33:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to accept bitcoins as a payment for hardware is?  (Read 662 times)
GalaxyASIC (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:10:23 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2013, 09:25:23 AM by GalaxyASIC

I am working on ASIC mining hardware and I have heard of some very non standard methods to secure bitcoins, so I would like to ask the community:
What would be the most secure way for me to accept and hold payment in BTC and at the same time easiest way for potential customers to pay in BTC ?
Particular wallet on separate PC that only sometimes connected to internet?
mtGox with yubikey?
Payment provider ?
Something else?

HashFast REFUND ! I am a HashFast's Batch 1 customer and I want full 100% BTC refund.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:43:25 AM

Set up a pc that doesn't connect to the internet (this could just be a USB stick with a Linux installation to be used on your regular pc). With it, generate a private key and corresponding address. You can give this address to your customers and track payments on blockchain.info.

When the time comes to spend the BTC, you can either connect the machine to the internet (easier, but less secure, though if you use a Linux installation that hasn't been online before it shouldn't be an issue) or create and sign the transaction on the offline machine, copy it to an online machine and transmit it from there (more hassle, but more secure: your private key is never on a machine exposed to the internet).
GalaxyASIC (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:12:46 PM

copy it to an online machine
Which flavor of Linux and wallet is the best for that?
What is the best way to copy between PCs? Another usb stick ?
And how do I make sure that if someone steals the USB that they can't use it?

HashFast REFUND ! I am a HashFast's Batch 1 customer and I want full 100% BTC refund.
MWNinja

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 07:39:44 PM

This combination works great and is what I am using to take orders for MineNinja, and its totally free too.

Wordpress + WooCommerce + Bitcoin Payments for WooCommerce Plugin

It pays to an Electrum wallet, which can be easily kept offline (and will support hardware wallets when they ship).
There's also a Bitpay plugin if you need to eliminate the currency risk exposure and get fiat-locked payment.
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 08:28:34 PM

copy it to an online machine
Which flavor of Linux and wallet is the best for that?

Doesn't really matter. The online machine / OS will never have access to the private key, so it need not be secure. The offline machine will never have a network connection, so it can't be attacked other than by having physical access.

What is the best way to copy between PCs? Another usb stick ?
Yes.
And how do I make sure that if someone steals the USB that they can't use it?[/quote]
Use a stick with a TrueCrypt volume (or another encryption tool).
bitfair

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 08:30:51 PM

I am working on ASIC mining hardware and I have heard of some very non standard methods to secure bitcoins, so I would like to ask the community:
What would be the most secure way for me to accept and hold payment in BTC and at the same time easiest way for potential customers to pay in BTC ?
mtGox with yubikey?
Payment provider ?
Something else?

It's hard to believe you are working on ASIC mining hardware and don't even know how to secure your coins.

How is your ASIC going? Will it be half the price of the competitors and use a die size of one tenth, perhaps?
GalaxyASIC (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:49:43 AM

mtGox with yubikey?
Payment provider ?
Something else?

It's hard to believe you are working on ASIC mining hardware and don't even know how to secure your coins.

How is your ASIC going? Will it be half the price of the competitors and use a die size of one tenth, perhaps?
Making hardware doesn't mean I know everything about everything and all the new products and ways of doing things. Only stupid people don't ask questions and then they get screwed.

ASIC is going good, Why would I sell short expensive equipment? It will be competitively priced based on a market. We will not be releasing specific chip information at this time to protect our competitive edge.

P.S. It's a 1nm process with infinity cores per mm2. You may salivate now. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: