Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 04:34:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Registration on this forum through tor is prohibited  (Read 1219 times)
NewCents (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:52:18 AM

This site specifically disallows registrations through known tor exit nodes.  Did you know that?  Try it, and you'll see.

tor's distributed technology and the anonymity which it brings is what allows Bitcoin to exist and thrive.  So to treat tor users as unworthy of forum membership strikes me as particularly odd, given the nature and purpose of this forum.  What is bitcoin all about, if not this?  And what is this forum all about, if not this?
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 09:53:52 AM

Why do you want to register through tor? Do you really have something important to hide?

e521

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:07:01 AM

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you are not allowed to register on this forum.Due to abuse, registration through Tor is not permitted.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 10:08:12 AM

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you are not allowed to register on this forum.Due to abuse, registration through Tor is not permitted.
Might be because someone started registering thousands of alts through tor just to take down the forum.

mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:10:19 AM

Heh, anyone surprised that Satoshi never shows up anymore?

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:17:04 AM

You can use site on TOR, and do registration too, but some ip's are blacklisted, so keep changing them until it allows you to do registration/login.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 10:17:23 AM

Not really...

AquaticBob

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:34:19 AM

Just sign up without Tor and then use the forums with Tor?
NewCents (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:35:22 AM

Sure, there are ways around this.  I am here, am I not?  That's not the point.  The point is why are the admins doing this?

And what's this about using tor because I have something to hide?  C'mon.  Why do you lock your front door when you leave your house?  Don't you trust your neighbors?

I use tor routinely for all of my web surfing/browsing.  As well as ixquick for searches.  I think it's just good policy.  I also do not have a facebook account and do not put personal information, including photos of myself, online for just anyone to see.  If you do, then I think you are very naive and will get streetwise soon enough.  Hopefully, without too much pain.
hieroglyph

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:21:50 AM

Hey you learn something new everyday as they say, I'll look into tor asap. Interestingly enough I've been meaning to bump up my privacy on the internet for some semblance of peace of mind.

zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:24:04 AM

i wouold think its to help stop people scaming

Gordon Bleu

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

verified ✔

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 11:26:52 AM

you can use tor without any problems

GAWMiners http://gawminers.com/ Gridseed ASICS in stock in USA
ONE YEAR FREE HOSTING AND ELECTRICITY WITH PURCHASE!

AROUSR.COM The Adult Chat Community (21+) We now accept BTCitcoins Smiley               |
Connect with hot girls for chat, talk, trade pics and more!➠Visit http://arousr.com (21+)|
jackthebeanstalk

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:27:10 AM

There are a lot of ways to remain anonymous when you sign up using using Tor.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:58:41 AM

Why do you want to register through tor? Do you really have something important to hide?
In some countries it may be illegal to speak of bitcoin so some people have to rely on tor to protect their freedom of expression  Wink

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 11:59:56 AM

In some countries it may be illegal to speak of bitcoin so some people have to rely on tor to protect their freedom of expression  Wink
Oh. Never thought of that. Could you tell me such country as an example?

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 12:01:56 PM

Oh. Never thought of that. Could you tell me such country as an example?
There are dozens of countries where dictatorships prohibit freedom of expression. Syria, Iran, North Korea etcetc. If something isn't ok for the dictator then you are in trouble there

JDTH

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 12:33:18 PM

TOR isn't the only way to bypass restrictions like these. I would consider TOR the standard in this kind of industry, like the very basic of a brand. It's good for getting to grips with the idea of anonymity but in order to remain truly anonymous you need to adapt your set up and change your browsing habits. You are as invisible as you make yourself.

Example, TOR is useless if you start logging into Facebook during your browsing sessions. The same way my ISP records would be useless against me if I used fake details, a discard able laptop / device and so on.
codingforbitcoin

Activity: 3

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 01:51:05 PM

LOL Smiley
NewCents (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:33:27 AM

Has Satoshi been banned?? !!

I found out some interesting things today. If you are banned you can
still login thru tor and, as tor cycles exit nodes you may get
un-banned! Then you have a window of opportunity to post. Hey! It's
not MY algorithm!

I also discovered that the official reason given for this ban is to
prevent banned folks from re-registering under a different IP.
Sheesh...as if that is going to work.

I am banned, yet I post. Voila!

Hey, Boss Admin, you should stop this crap. You are embarrassing
yourself.
B613

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:14:03 PM

I am on Tor, and I wish to stay this way. There are many possible reasons why people wish to cover their tracks.

For instance, their employer may be unhappy that they frequent places where people who leaked and published US confidential materials are celebrated as heroes. For this reason whole US military/intelligence would prefer not to come here or use tor.

Supposedly registration via tor is prohibited to make it difficult for banned people to return. If someone knows how to us tor they know how to use one of 1000+ free or paid proxies. Or how to hire a minimal server and put Apache with open proxy for one night, just long enough before admin bans the client.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: