Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:53:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback in bitcoin related project: donation button using xpub master public  (Read 175 times)
ivanxuu (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 08:45:07 AM

Hi there,
I'm thinking in creating a website to create your own bitcoin donation button that you can emdeb in your website.  But using severals bitcoin addresses which are rotated to avoid people knowing how much money is being donated. That can be solved by the user using BIP32 HD wallet addresses generation with some custom code in the backend user server, but that's too complicated for the average user. Would be easier to just throw some predefined html code, and that the user receives payments in their wallet.

USAGE DESCRIPTION
So my idea would be that the user can enter his master public key in my website, then it creates a HTML code to be embeded in the user website. That code, communicating with my website, creates an unique address for each donation or payment visible in the user website.
NOTE: Remember that the master public key allow to generate addresses of the user, but not the private keys.

SIMILAR SERVICES
Similar services which I've found so far are:
- http://coinwidget.com/ which uses javascript but it only allow one address. No HD wallet, so anybody know how much money you have made.
- gear.mycelium.com Mostly similar, but it only gives you a link like http://admin.gear.mycelium.com/gateways/3568/orders/new, so no address is visible in your website, no button unless you make your own. It goes to another website to make the payment. No API to generate custom buttons. Only accepts xpub master public key, no ypub or zpub.

REQUEST FOR COMMENTS
So want I would like to hear is is worth to be made or just a silly idea.

MOTIVATION OF THE PROJECT
Mainly entertaiment, program for joy, and give back to the bitcoin community (if is worth it). But I don't want to spend a bunch of hours to make something that would be used for just Joe and Rita (not really usefull).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16635

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2017, 09:49:36 AM

The main problem I see here is trust: I have to trust you only show addresses that are based on my master public key, and don't sneak in your own address once in a while.

to avoid people knowing how much money is being donated
I get the privacy aspect, but if I'd have a website would donate-button, I would choose to be transparant about donated amounts.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: