Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:52:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: coinbase.com -> local wallet = good strategy?  (Read 2031 times)
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:53:02 PM

I don't have a utility bill so I can't get a verified Mt.Gox account.  Is it a good idea to buy BTC through coinbase.com via my US bank account instead and then transfer them to my local wallet?  Is coinbase.com pretty safe?
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:58:43 PM

I can't speak for or against coinbase but wherever you purchase, yes, transfering them out of a web wallet into a local wallet is a good idea.
Web wallets are inherently dangerous. Web wallets have been compromised countless times through no fault of the user.

It is my opinion that generally your currency should be in a wallet where only you have access to the private key. Obtaining and selling currency, web wallets can be a necessary evil, but yes, transfering to local control as soon as possible is best IMHO.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:18:47 PM

Why would anyone with a US bank account use bitinstant.com (4%) instead of coinbase.com (1%)?
justmyname

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:34:51 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2013, 03:03:25 PM by justmyname

I don't have a utility bill so I can't get a verified Mt.Gox account.  Is it a good idea to buy BTC through coinbase.com via my US bank account instead and then transfer them to my local wallet?  Is coinbase.com pretty safe?

Coin Base is the only one so far I have any confidence in. I even keep most my coins up on their site.  Grin

At anytime  I can zip up Fiat and trade for  up to 50 Bitcoins per day. I can also trade the Bitcoins back to cash in the Bank.  The only charges are a 1% fee to Coinbase when converting to and from Fiat. And a .15 % fee to the Bank. As long as you aren't converting, you can move Bitcoins to and from Coinbase for no fee.

Coinbase has solved many of my Bitcoin problems. It does take 4 business days to transfer to and from the Bank though. And if the price is fluctuating too much Coinbase may back out of the trade.  So far they haven't backed out of any of my trades. And I think you can cancel a trade if it goes against you too much also.

bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:40:31 PM

And if the price is fluctuating too much Coinbase may back out of the trade.
Whoa, really?  I had no idea.  Do a lot of people talk about this happening to them?
broken_pixel

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:46:45 PM

I have been using Coinbase for 3 months with no problems. There bank transfers used to take up to 3 days, but now they take 5 days.

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
justmyname

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 02:55:38 PM

And if the price is fluctuating too much Coinbase may back out of the trade.
Whoa, really?  I had no idea.  Do a lot of people talk about this happening to them?

It's better they back out of the trade instead of ripping you off and giving you less coins like (Blockchain). You can also back out of the trade if it goes against you. So neither party gets screwed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: