Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:36:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-23 Forbes - Bitcoin Foundation Receives Cease And Desist Order From Ca  (Read 9547 times)
labestiol (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:28:33 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2013/06/23/bitcoin-foundation-receives-cease-and-desist-order-from-california/

Directly following last month’s Bitcoin 2013 conference event in San Jose, CA that brought good revenue into the state, California’s Department of Financial Institutions decided to issue a cease and desist warning to conference organizer Bitcoin Foundation for allegedly engaging in the business of money transmission without a license or proper authorization.

... Then, they fight us ...

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:45:57 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2013/06/23/bitcoin-foundation-receives-cease-and-desist-order-from-california/

Directly following last month’s Bitcoin 2013 conference event in San Jose, CA that brought good revenue into the state, California’s Department of Financial Institutions decided to issue a cease and desist warning to conference organizer Bitcoin Foundation for allegedly engaging in the business of money transmission without a license or proper authorization.

They don't fight "us". They fight a despicable scam, in this case.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:48:17 PM

It's just some idiot government critter thinking the foundation is something like "Bitcoin Corporation".
It would be fun watching the foundation be disbanded anyway.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 03:51:51 PM

They don't fight "us". They fight a despicable scam, in this case.

So if the foundation does file, pays the US$5K, and gets this license.  Do we all become "agents" or "affiliates" acting under this license?
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fin&group=01001-02000&file=2000-2003

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 04:03:28 PM

Ill be honest, they are really starting to clamp down hard in the U.S and is making me nervous.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:17:48 PM

This is big. Why is this news only leaking out now  Huh
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:20:14 PM

Oh! Good. Let them kill the bitcoin corp... Right?
Hey! Right?
MPOE-PR

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:21:23 PM

So if the foundation does file, pays the US$5K, and gets this license.  Do we all become "agents" or "affiliates" acting under this license?
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fin&group=01001-02000&file=2000-2003

That'd be just the point where the scam unravels.

No, MPEx does not recognize any relation between Bitcoin and this so called "foundation".

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
doom309

Activity: 170
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:23:21 PM

many people gave donations to the bitcoin foundation, perhaps this move by govt is just an idea theyve come up with to "tax" those naughty bitcoin users ...
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:01:50 PM

Ill be honest, they are really starting to clamp down hard in the U.S and is making me nervous.

With this exception of this California action, everything else in the US has been completely consistent with existing US law.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:03:33 PM

It's just some idiot government critter thinking the foundation is something like "Bitcoin Corporation".

Correct.

It would be fun watching the foundation be disbanded anyway.

Most of the forum idiots here do not seem to realize that the Bitcoin Foundation is taking slings and arrows on behalf of others, fighting for bitcoin acceptance.

When you fight for bitcoin, people fight back.

It would be a loss for all if the Bitcoin Foundation goes away.

btceic

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 05:13:28 PM

With this exception of this California action, everything else in the US has been completely consistent with existing US law.

I am speaking of the recent developments with the IRS and FinCen along with this as well as the numerous services surrounding bitcoin that have gone down.

I will edit this post with links if you guys need them.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
btceic

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 05:14:22 PM

It would be a huge loss IMO as well.

jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:16:43 PM

I am speaking of the recent developments with the IRS and FinCen along with this as well as the numerous services surrounding bitcoin that have gone down.

As am I.  Recent developments with the IRS and FinCEN are entirely consistent with US law as it has existed for years.  Ditto Mutum Sigillium seizure warrant. Tax and MSB implications were directly addressed years ago in my State of the Coin 2011 presentation, among others.  If you operate outside the law in your jurisdiction, the obvious result occurs... eventually.

There is no question that US authorities are ramping up enforcement of existing law.

btceic

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 05:24:07 PM

As am I.  Recent developments with the IRS and FinCEN are entirely consistent with US law as it has existed for years.  Ditto Mutum Sigillium seizure warrant. Tax and MSB implications were directly addressed years ago in my State of the Coin 2011 presentation, among others.  If you operate outside the law in your jurisdiction, the obvious result occurs... eventually.

Then I must be confused with the state of things then. I was under the impression that the recent IRS (or was it FinCen??) ruling/statement was that mining bitcoins will/may require an MSB/MT licensure.

I could be wrong and hope I am, I am not trolling I truly want to know.

melvster

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:54:54 PM

I was thinking about joining this ... but if they are breaking the law, that's a disincentive. 

Perhaps we should find a way to give donations without going through a third party ...
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:33:42 PM

I posted this is the general thread but will leave this here as well:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/149335233/CA-State-Cease-and-Desist-May-30

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 07:27:54 PM

Why would an association need a license to be a money transmitter?  The association is not doing anything illegal by any standards?Huh    Just crazy....
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 08:14:25 PM

And so it begins...

Yeah well, not that the bitcoin foundation is related to bitcoin anyway

MPOE-PR

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 08:44:32 PM

I was thinking about joining this ... but if they are breaking the law, that's a disincentive.  

Perhaps we should find a way to give donations without going through a third party ...

There's this fabulous new tech thing called Bitcoin. You should check it out sometime.

It would be a huge loss IMO as well.

Not hardly. On the balance of things the pretenders have done marginally more damage than useful things for BTC, and that before the recent nonsense.

Most of the forum idiots here do not seem to realize that the Bitcoin Foundation is taking slings and arrows on behalf of others, fighting for bitcoin acceptance.

When you fight for bitcoin, people fight back.

Most people here DO realize that the pretend-foundation has a chairman that's also the treasurer.

Most people here DO realize that the pretend-foundation has been swindling the community out of "donations", but it has yet to publish its finances.

Most people here DO realize that the pretend-foundation has no particular relation to Bitcoin, but it is using the pretense of such a relation to sell "credibility" to various scams. Like MtGox, like BFL, like etc.

What some people here do not realize (and yes I mean you) is that by standing up for scammers you end up just as fucked as they are. Find a better hobby.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: