Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:13:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of CRYPTSY  (Read 1625 times)
SNAZ31 (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:15:03 PM

Okay so I have just had a little run in with cryptsy and I am just putting it out there for you to decide!

Recently there was a statement on cryptsy saying

"Taking powercoin offline while I investigate a blockchain issue"

Then later this...

"It appears there was in fact a 51% attack on powercoin around the 15th/16th. The individual responsible came from a China IP address"

Now when I read this I wasn't overly concerened although I had a few PWC because 51% attacks have come and gone in the past with not too much upset. But a couple days alter I realized PWC was still not on the list and I got in the chatbox to ask admin about it.

To be honest bigjohn was pretty rude from the off, basically saying that I should know all about it and that they have spoken about it inside the chatbox! That is how they inform customers that their money is gone? In the chatbox? A chatbox that I do not use?

Eventually he did say that they will try to me clearer in the future and he also linked me to this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=239794.0

There were still no further announcements made regarding PWC and people were still in the chatbox asking where PWC was, so clearly I was not the only one who was a little miffed. These people got the same treatment as I... When surely a more detailed announcement would help, no?

Any way so I read that thread again and noticed on page 3 there was a very interesting turn of events! If you read comment #41 you will see a guy claiming to have looked into the matter and is saying there was NO attack! And then you will see NWO agreeing that there was indeed NO attack!

So I put that to big john and was banned for 1 hour for my trouble!

This stinks to high heaven! Are NWO and CRYPTSY in cahoots? Is it cryptsys mistake that they do not want to admit? I guess we can not have the answers to these as you will be banned for mentioning it! Dodgey... very dodgey!

So i have moved on from cryptsy anyway, and I just wanted to let everyone know too so you can make an informed decision as to where you trade...

If you love cryptsy fine, that is cool, just don't say you were not warned!

Edit: Off to cut my hedge now and will be back later on... Stay safe people Smiley
Rejinx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:41:27 PM

Does anyone have anymore info on this.  These are pretty serious charges.  I would like to hear another side of this.
SNAZ31 (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:23:58 PM

Does anyone have anymore info on this.  These are pretty serious charges.  I would like to hear another side of this.

Why not go on cryptsy and ask about PWC and then see what reaction you get? You will be told that you should know all about it, obviously! And they are not respeonsible for what the devs do with the coins etc...

I told them that some guy on the forum had said there was no attack, big john said that he doesn't listen to random peeps on the net, yet I had already said that NWO agreed! I mean read that post I pointed to, there was no attack... Someone just had a large hashpower and mined a lot of coins, I mean how dare they!

When I pointed these things out I was told I had been warned, although there was no warning and promply banned while he continued to state they are not responsible for what the devs do...

All I can do is tell you what happened, but if you are curious go on to cryptsy and ask them "where has PWC gone", you will see the reaction you get...
SNAZ31 (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:28:51 PM

Does anyone have anymore info on this.  These are pretty serious charges.  I would like to hear another side of this.

BTW they (admin) sit there and laugh about how easy it would be to 51% certain coins and how crap they are... Then why list them? Clearly they couldn't care less about the customers. In fact I was told I should research better. When in this case there was no 51% attack anyway.
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 08:13:43 AM

All exchanges dealing in alt-coins should have an up-front policy for 51% attacks, to make it clear and transparent for users, otherwise this kind of thing will just keep happening.
SNAZ31 (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 09:30:59 AM

All exchanges dealing in alt-coins should have an up-front policy for 51% attacks, to make it clear and transparent for users, otherwise this kind of thing will just keep happening.

Or how about having a policy whereby they do not list coins below a certain hashrate? And if a coin falls below the hashrate it is taken offline untill such a time that the hashrate improves?

But yeah just a warning would be nice... But their philosophy is "screw you! Research better! LOL @ you for trading something that we promote."

And yes it is my opinion that by listing the coin you are promoting the coin... But these people really do not care just so long as they make their profits!

There is or could be a light at the end of the tunnel though and that is going to be P2P exchanges, there are people claiming that it will end the double spend fiasco which is hurting the entire crypto community. How can people have confidence in anything when they have to check the hashrates multiple times a day just so they are "safer". Because of course the hashrates do fluctuate like that with the difficulty changes.

I think for now I will hold off trading anything until P2P exchanges offer a safer platform. And I certainly will not be using anything cryptsy related purely down to their ridiculous policies and customer service. They even gave 24hrs notice that they were taking DVC off the BTC exchange and putting it against LTC instead. That is quite a big change and should in my opinion been given a longer notice period. Even vircurex gives like a months notice when they delist something.

I am just glad I wasn't more heavily invested in PWC or cryptsy.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 09:32:36 AM

yep, bitjohn was rude to me about it too. kinda funny how they allowed the trading to continue a few days before taking it offline.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
SNAZ31 (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:31:17 PM

yep, bitjohn was rude to me about it too. kinda funny how they allowed the trading to continue a few days before taking it offline.

That is why I jumped back in there about it to be honest, even after our chat there was still no further announcement and people were still going in the chatbox and getting told that is their fault and they should know all about it or don't trade! Things like that. It is rude and a very poor customer service!

I mean there are so many alt coins out there now it would be nearly a damn full time job to keep track of all of them all of the time. And the fact he thinks putting something in the chatbox is the way to inform customers is laughable!

I am voting with my feet anyway and moving on, ain't been back since and won't be either.

Thanks for coming in here and sharing your experience.
trixong

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:37:10 PM

https://www.cryptsy.com/ is gone? Angry
abdullahadam

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 07:54:53 PM

GoDaddy DNS is having issues, thus many sites are down
suprabitz

Activity: 148

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:09:43 PM

cryptsy was down most of the day then

my browser says this

You attempted to reach www.cryptsy.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as secure.4rx.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of www.cryptsy.com.
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:19:51 AM

my browser says this

You attempted to reach www.cryptsy.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as secure.4rx.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of www.cryptsy.com.
Can we just click continue and keep accessing?

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
Ares

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:25:58 AM

my browser says this

ya, i'm getting this:

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to www.cryptsy.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
          Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 03:44:16 AM

my browser says this

ya, i'm getting this:

securely to www.cryptsy.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

relax, their doman was compromised, and they had to switch to a different certificate issuing company. it will take a day or to for their ssl certificate to become valid again.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 11:40:57 AM

my browser says this

ya, i'm getting this:

relax, their doman was compromised, and they had to switch to a different certificate issuing company. it will take a day or to for their ssl certificate to become valid again.
Yeah, chill. It's not always so dangerous. Wait a bit and constantly check whether the issue still remains.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 09:30:06 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2014, 11:43:41 AM by Oldminer

Zedcoin wallet is still 'offline for maintenance' on cryptsy and has been for 2 months now. Unable to withdraw or deposit.

Support staff go mute if you ask them why and when deposits & withdrawals will be re-enabled.

POOR EFFORT BitJohn...its about time you released coins YOU DONT OWN and stopped ranting about how good your exchange is when you have obvious malfunctions still ongoing with your site.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: