Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:21:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Vs Ripple  (Read 523 times)
BitEagle (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:35:30 PM

I've been mining bitcoins for the last 6 months with AMD radeon graphics cards.
The thrill of mining has been declining with increasing difficulty and the rapid
worldwide hashrate for pooled mining.

Of course, I had anticipated this coming - but, not at this speed. To add to this,
we now have one more alternative currency - the XRP from OpenCoin/Ripple.

As of this writing, the XRP is valued at approx. 60 XRP to one USD (or approx.
6000 XRP per BTC). OpenCoin has been giving away XRP with a goal of distributing
as equally (of course, they exempted themselves from this "equality" - read hypocrisy)
as possible across all the people of the world.

I do not have any reasons to surmise that the XRP could strengthen in the long-term
against the BTC, although the normal BTC volatility may provoide an illusion of the
XRP  strengthening against BTC in the short-term.

Would love to hear your opinions on any reasons that makes you think that the XRP
may strengthen against the BTC.
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 02:10:04 AM

Ripple is a joke and will only go down from here.  I predict 100k to 1 Bitcoin in the next few months.  It totally defeats the purpose of Bitcoin which is decentralized control.  If you have some, get rid of them.  Exchange rate is now 7200 to 1 and will only grow from here.
marhugh333

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 02:20:44 AM

Ripple will only strengthen bitcoin. It will be the solution for bringing it mainstream. One way by making cryptocurrency easy to convert to fiat or any other crypto.
Parasol

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:42:47 PM

I am trying out both at the moment. Ideological differences aside I think that Ripple has great potential as a platform for fast and anonymous trading. Compared to bitmap Ripple has a much more elegant solution to shuffling fiat and different crypto currencies around.

I don't trust Ripple more than anyone else when it comes to questions about their self interest but the technology is sound and useful.
billyscuz

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:07:04 PM

ripple as decentralized is not impressive. but it is a FAR superior payment system than bitcoin. it's just worlds more versatile, you can't even compare them. bitcoin is far safer though as it is truly decentralized, and it provides a much better store of value (and perhaps investment vehicle) than XRP.

Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com       Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets        Provably Fair   
iram1084

Activity: 2

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 08:21:04 PM

(Ripple = Centralized) <  (Bitcoin = Decentralized)
frederich

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 08:29:43 PM

An excellent forum post about the differences between BTC and XRP:
https://ripple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3320
One of the best sentence to remember: "Opencoin is playing the role of the Federal Reserve in the XRP system"
Bear in mind that ripple is two things: a payment system and its internal XRP virtual currency, but it is the payment system that makes ripple different from Bitcoin.
Ripple is to banks what Bitcoin is to money.

BitPapaya

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 08:47:13 PM

Ripple got Support from Google,a lot of Money come's in to play.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Ripple got Support from Google,a lot of Money come's in to play.
And a lot of power that can't valued by money.

jackthebeanstalk

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 11:08:48 AM

Ripple is 100% premined and if you do a Google, the investments from Google is very very tiny so I doubt Google is really going to be behind Ripple.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 11:15:26 AM

Ripple is 100% premined and if you do a Google, the investments from Google is very very tiny so I doubt Google is really going to be behind Ripple.
Ripple isn't even mined. It's issued by OpenCoin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: