Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:06:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spent 5 minutes trying to login with Tor  (Read 452 times)
neurotypical (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:13:26 PM

This is a new record in me wasting time trying to fill up the captcha, only to get an error after you end up filling it (remember that the "find the car pictures" one is extremely slow in Tor for some reason). I kept getting this error:

Google captcha's definitely doesn't like Tor. I was wondering if there is anything in the works to mitigate this problem or we are stuck with this forever.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 09:28:15 PM

Did you try telling Tor to "use a new circuit for this site"? I use Tor a fair bit, and whenever I occasionally get reCaptcha problems, that fixes it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
parobber

Activity: 172
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 10:30:30 PM

Is there any solution to this in just a regular browser? A number of times I have had login issues due to recaptcha when using firefox or chrome, I can instantly notice it because it asks to remove all pictures of a car or some other item but when clicking on it it takes about 2-3 seconds for the image to disappear and a new one to load. Normally I just refresh the browser one time and it works but for example just now it took me about 20 or so refreshes.

ELEMENTH
⇐ ● Blockchain for e-commerce ● Pre-ICO is LIVE ● ⇒
○ ○ ○ ➀ WEBSITEWHITEPAPERBITCOINTALKTELEGRAMTWITTERFACEBOOKREDDIT ○ ○ ○
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 12:55:46 AM

Did you try telling Tor to "use a new circuit for this site"? I use Tor a fair bit, and whenever I occasionally get reCaptcha problems, that fixes it.

Ditto.  I always use TOR here and this solves it for me.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
neurotypical (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:27:35 PM

Yes, this is the workaround that I have been using, but I have definitely noticed how it's increasingly harder to find a Tor node that isn't banned by the google captcha thing.

At this rate, all Tor nodes will be banned and you will not be able to log in because you will get that message every time.

Sometimes I get unlucky and keep getting banned Tor nodes which deliver that message. Finally I find one that works but im not able to complete the captcha on time and the Tor node is switched into another banned node... so a chain of unlucky events can keet you trying to log in for a while.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 16270

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 10:28:48 PM

Is there any solution to this in just a regular browser?
If it's your own PC, you can tick the "Always stay logged in:" box. I can't remember the last time I had to login, that's how long it has been.
I don't use Tor so can't test it, but can't you just tick this box to remember your login? Unless you want to erase your browser history after every session, this should stop the captcha login.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
neurotypical (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 04:20:37 PM

Is there any solution to this in just a regular browser?
If it's your own PC, you can tick the "Always stay logged in:" box. I can't remember the last time I had to login, that's how long it has been.
I don't use Tor so can't test it, but can't you just tick this box to remember your login? Unless you want to erase your browser history after every session, this should stop the captcha login.

This doesn't work with Tor, if it worked then Tor wouldn't be anonymous.

Tor switches IP automatically each time, also Tor does not save anything including cookies, everything that happens in the Tor Browser windows is kept on the RAM so there is nothing persistent. You can save bookmarks on the browser but that's about it. There is no browser history to save because Tor doesn't save anything by design.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 16270

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 06:01:42 PM

Tor switches IP automatically each time, also Tor does not save anything including cookies, everything that happens in the Tor Browser windows is kept on the RAM so there is nothing persistent. You can save bookmarks on the browser but that's about it. There is no browser history to save because Tor doesn't save anything by design.
Even in Tor Browser you can set your preferences to remember history and accept cookies. This doesn't tell Bitcointalk anything about you, so you're still anonymous. A man in the middle attack is also not possible. If you make this your default settings in your Tor browser, it should work to stay logged in.

You're probably right that it compromises your privacy somewhat, but I don't know how to rate that risk. A simple solution to still have the full privacy when needed would be to use Tor in private browsing mode for sites other than Bitcointalk.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
neurotypical (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 06:07:20 PM

Even in Tor Browser you can set your preferences to remember history and accept cookies. This doesn't tell Bitcointalk anything about you, so you're still anonymous. A man in the middle attack is also not possible. If you make this your default settings in your Tor browser, it should work to stay logged in.

You're probably right that it compromises your privacy somewhat, but I don't know how to rate that risk. A simple solution to still have the full privacy when needed would be to use Tor in private browsing mode for sites other than Bitcointalk.

But I don't think that it would help. Even if you save cookies, history and whatnot, the IP is still going to keep switching every X minutes so I think it may log off, or maybe not because it depends on the cookies file independently of what IP you are using.. but I would rather not tweak with these settings. It is activated to not save anything by default for a reason. I guess I will have to deal with the annoying captchas and hope not all Tor nodes end up getting banned because then it's over.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:16:45 PM

You won't get logged off if your IP changes. You just need to save cookies for bitcointalk.org; there aren't even any third-party cookies.

It'd probably be fairly easily possible to create a bookmarklet which restores your cookies.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 6850

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 12:28:13 AM

Tor won't keep cookies by default because the browser is set to always use the firefox private browsing mode.

You can change that by typing about:preferences#privacy in your URL bar and unchecking "Always use private browsing mode";

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
ZhuldyzKaladinova

Activity: 289
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:07:14 AM

I really don't like logging into Google Captchas on TOR no matter on which site, it's not fun.
neurotypical (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 04:52:03 PM

Tor won't keep cookies by default because the browser is set to always use the firefox private browsing mode.

You can change that by typing about:preferences#privacy in your URL bar and unchecking "Always use private browsing mode";

Most people use Tor because they browse during work times at the office, so you can't afford leaving traces cookies or anything outside the RAM.

In any case, just wanted to check in to say that the situation has gotten much better.

We've either had a new batch of Tor nodes that aren't banned by gstatic.com or whatever website related to Google captcha, or theymos has done some tweaking, but im seeing way less banned nodes and I can usually get the captcha to show up after 2 or 3 attempts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: