Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:10:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: r/bitcoin is like the North Korea media  (Read 248 times)
Coldsnap4457 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

STOCKBET TOKEN SALE OCT 29 - USABLE SOFTWARE TODAY

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:28:50 PM

Roger Ver and Jihan Wu have stated that there is censorship on r/bitcoin subreddit.

I tested it out. I entered a dissenting viewpoint on r/bitcoin. It was removed.

This is stunning. I can't believe it.

r/bitcoin is like an echo chamber and fake news.

r/bitcoin is like the North Korea media.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:36:20 PM

The subreddit r/bitcoin is a private group, so it's not comparable to the North Korean media.  The North Korean government restricts people from using other sources of information, whereas r/bitcoin is incapable of doing so and anyone can freely switch to a different source.

However, your point about there being prominent censorship on there appears to be correct.

The problem is that the people who oppose the censorship also tend to be the same people that oppose the views presented in r/bitcoin.  This results in opposing information sources being somewhat biased as well.

Roger Ver and Jihan Wu most likely prefer the subreddit r/btc, which IMO is a huge echo chamber for the oppose side.  While they don't have censorship, they wouldn't actually need to have censorship because people supporting their views naturally flock to that subreddit.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18512

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:54:55 PM

You are both correct. /r/bitcoin is an echo chamber for core, /r/btc is an echo chamber for cash. Neither allow dissenting views. It is impossible to have a frank and open discussion on either side. That's why this forum is better IMO.
jlp

Activity: 266
Merit: 264

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:57:22 PM

You are both correct. /r/bitcoin is an echo chamber for core, /r/btc is an echo chamber for cash. Neither allow dissenting views. It is impossible to have a frank and open discussion on either side. That's why this forum is better IMO.

Xavofat says that r/btc does not have censorship.  Do you disagree?

I've read that Theymos controls both r/bitcoin and Bitcointalk.  Is that true?

Does Theymos ever try to censor comments here?
Coldsnap4457 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

STOCKBET TOKEN SALE OCT 29 - USABLE SOFTWARE TODAY

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 12:26:00 AM

So much for believing in

CENSORSHIP RESISTANCE and PERMISSIONLESS.

steadyrice

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 10:17:32 AM

I feel like the quality of the subreddit has started to decrease since bitcoin has become popular. But as always, never trust anything you see on reddit. It's just a bunch of people who you have no idea who they are, but act like they know everything. I would never rely exclusively on reddit for news/information about bitcoin.

jlp

Activity: 266
Merit: 264

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:08:04 PM

I posted the following onto reddit.com/r/bitcoin .  They removed it and banned me.  Unbelievable.  They are like the North Korea media.

====================================

BCH, Ethereum and many coins came into existence because of Core/Blockstream.

Vitalik was looking at creating Ethereum on top of Bitcoin. The core developers were generally hostile to his idea, so they made a change to Bitcoin to reduce the allowed size of a particular part of a Bitcoin transaction to make it harder to do what Vitalik wanted to do. He saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't welcome and left. If Core/Blockstream did the right thing, Ethereum would be built on top of Bitcoin.

Satoshi believed that Bitcoin can scale and never had a block size limit. It was put in as a temporary measure. Miners and businesses asked for it to be increased. Core/Blockstream refused for 4 years. Out of frustration, miners created BCH.

Why won’t Core/Blockstream increase block size?

Investors gave $76 million to Blockstream. How will this be returned?

They have the Liquid sidechain product and are working on Lightning.

Liquid is used by exchanges to move bitcoins quickly, since bitcoins no longer move quickly on the blockchain. According to its website, its first release supports bitcoin only.

Lightning will provide fees to liquidity providers, i.e., exchanges. If exchanges make more money from Lightning, they can buy more Liquid.

How can the demand for Liquid and Lightning be increased? With small blocks, slow confirmations and high fees. (Blockstream’s Adam Back has said that users will be willing to pay $100 fees.)

Note that Lightning is a boon to many developers, not just Blockstream. Lightning is extremely complicated and convoluted, which will provide years of work for developers.

It is safe to assume that future releases of Liquid will support other coins. With small blocks, slow confirmations and high fees, Bitcoin-competing coins multiply and flourish. This makes exchanges multiply and flourish, which makes Liquid multiply and flourish.

If it wasn’t for Blockstream, there wouldn’t be so many altcoins and BTC’s market share would not have dropped from 95% to 60%. Everyone would still be in the same camp, singing kumbaya and BTC’s market cap would be $200B, not $120B.
orimar

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 10:01:15 PM

Xavofat says that r/btc does not have censorship.  Do you disagree?

I've read that Theymos controls both r/bitcoin and Bitcointalk.  Is that true?

Does Theymos ever try to censor comments here?

could be that reddit is more controlled than here? also, had a question for you but i cant pm you. could you possibly pm me?
jritz2344973

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 06:52:21 AM

I posted the following onto reddit.com/r/bitcoin .  They removed it and banned me.  Unbelievable.  They are like the North Korea media.

====================================

BCH, Ethereum and many coins came into existence because of Core/Blockstream.

Vitalik was looking at creating Ethereum on top of Bitcoin. The core developers were generally hostile to his idea, so they made a change to Bitcoin to reduce the allowed size of a particular part of a Bitcoin transaction to make it harder to do what Vitalik wanted to do. He saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't welcome and left. If Core/Blockstream did the right thing, Ethereum would be built on top of Bitcoin.

Satoshi believed that Bitcoin can scale and never had a block size limit. It was put in as a temporary measure. Miners and businesses asked for it to be increased. Core/Blockstream refused for 4 years. Out of frustration, miners created BCH.

Why won’t Core/Blockstream increase block size?

Investors gave $76 million to Blockstream. How will this be returned?

They have the Liquid sidechain product and are working on Lightning.

Liquid is used by exchanges to move bitcoins quickly, since bitcoins no longer move quickly on the blockchain. According to its website, its first release supports bitcoin only.

Lightning will provide fees to liquidity providers, i.e., exchanges. If exchanges make more money from Lightning, they can buy more Liquid.

How can the demand for Liquid and Lightning be increased? With small blocks, slow confirmations and high fees. (Blockstream’s Adam Back has said that users will be willing to pay $100 fees.)

Note that Lightning is a boon to many developers, not just Blockstream. Lightning is extremely complicated and convoluted, which will provide years of work for developers.

It is safe to assume that future releases of Liquid will support other coins. With small blocks, slow confirmations and high fees, Bitcoin-competing coins multiply and flourish. This makes exchanges multiply and flourish, which makes Liquid multiply and flourish.

If it wasn’t for Blockstream, there wouldn’t be so many altcoins and BTC’s market share would not have dropped from 95% to 60%. Everyone would still be in the same camp, singing kumbaya and BTC’s market cap would be $200B, not $120B.

It is unclear exactly who is bitcoin mining in North Korea; however, computer-intensive activities are less likely to occur outside of state control given the country's limited number of computers and limited IP space.
In addition, access to the Internet is almost impossible for ordinary North Koreans. The government does not provide the public with the right to access the world network, and only a handful of senior military or government officials have the right to use the internet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: