Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:26:11 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Users' Bitcoins Seized by DEA  (Read 8223 times)
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:07:26 AM

Dude probably was all like, "You want my Bitcoins? Here, have 'em!" and tossed them his encrypted wallet.dat Cheesy

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
petrjanda

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:27:01 AM

the feds can crack your encrypted wallets very easily. all you have to do is dump the private keys with pywallet, and save them in atext file. then you delete the wallet.dat file. rename the app data folder for bitcoin, then reinstall bitcoin. prior to launch bitcoin, move the blockchain from the old bitcoin to the new app data bitcoin folder. now start bitcoin and import the private keys. you now have an unencrypted bitcoin wallet with all the funds of the old encrypted one. 

Can someone confirm this? It seems like a big security hole.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:38:37 AM

the feds can crack your encrypted wallets very easily. all you have to do is dump the private keys with pywallet, and save them in atext file. then you delete the wallet.dat file. rename the app data folder for bitcoin, then reinstall bitcoin. prior to launch bitcoin, move the blockchain from the old bitcoin to the new app data bitcoin folder. now start bitcoin and import the private keys. you now have an unencrypted bitcoin wallet with all the funds of the old encrypted one. 

The emboldened part is completely false.

Pywallet cannot dump the keys of an encrypted wallet.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:47:53 AM

No, it won't work. Total bullshit.

With jackjack's pywallet you have to use ./pywallet.py --dumpwallet --datadir=DATADIR --wallet=WALLETFILE --passphrase=PASSPHRASE to dump the wallet.

JimRogers

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:49:19 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hughes_(cypherpunk)
gwern

Activity: 47

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 01:10:21 AM

That Eric Hughes doesn't seem to have the middle name 'D', most materials place him in California and not South Carolina, he's pretty old at this point, and there are a ton of people all named Eric Hughes (searching for 'Eric D Hughes South Carolina', I found a paid people database claiming multiple Eric D Hughes in South Carolina!). An interesting possibility, but unlikely.
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 01:24:44 AM

LOL, so the DEA have a bitcoin wallet? will the DEA trade the bitcoin for fiat Huh

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
gwern

Activity: 47

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 02:59:18 AM

Update: Hughes seems to be the SR vendor 'Casey Jones' http://www.reddit.com/r/SilkRoad/comments/1gxiv7/srrelated_bitcoin_seizure/caoxlmg
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 03:50:24 AM

Odd! The funds stem from this address: http://blockchain.info/sv/tx/47c0fd07a11027da0b18107703e442b9ce61457910a64a079b4b411b561f161e
blockgenesis

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:17:17 AM

What wallet encryption can offer beside protecting from theft :
https://xkcd.com/538/

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:36:45 AM

Update: Hughes seems to be the SR vendor 'Casey Jones' http://www.reddit.com/r/SilkRoad/comments/1gxiv7/srrelated_bitcoin_seizure/caoxlmg

I told him that lady in red was trouble.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 08:29:36 AM

LOL, so the DEA have a bitcoin wallet? will the DEA trade the bitcoin for fiat Huh

No, now they can go shopping on SR for the good stuff ....

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 08:35:06 AM

To export private keys you need the encryption passphrase.  If you have the encryption passphrase you don't need to do all that nonsense you can just use the wallet.

The QT wallet uses rather robust encryption of private keys (ask anyone who forgot even part of their passphrase).  The passphrase is hashed SHA-256 a few thousands times (exact number depends on computing power of the system running your wallet).  This generates the 256 bit key which is used by AES for the actual encryption and decryption of the wallet.  There are no backdoors and with a sufficiently complex passphrase it is beyond brute force possibility due to key hardening.  Of course all of this is open source so one could just look at the source code to realize the poster is just make up garbage.
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 09:50:09 AM

Im pretty sure the DEA always confiscates drug money, digital or otherwise, nothing to see here move along

colour

Activity: 152

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:01:06 PM

Quote from: r3wt

Quote from: r3wt
you can get away with it a few times, but they will catch on eventually when you are receiving suspicious packages by mail. usually, they let you get away with it enough times to wait until you purchase felony amounts. it happened to a friend of mine. i can't speak for all states but my uncle is DTF here in Arkansas and this is how it works: they intercept your first purchase from silk road, and they give you a grace period. the second time you recieve a package, they open a file on you. the first time you receive an amount of drugs large enough for them to charge you with Possesion with Intent to deliver, conspiracy by recieving and felony possesion, they bust your ass as soon as you sign.

User "r3wt" is spreading misinformation. Please do not take him serious.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 03:34:40 PM

A new page in bitcoin's history.

True dat. Encrypt your wallet people, and stay off silk road!

You naughty drug dealers...

are people really this stupid to buy illegal drugs online?

Well, for the most part, they've been rather smart about it. Not that I condone it, but I applaud their technical skill.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
EuroTrash

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 03:51:15 PM

Im pretty sure the DEA always confiscates drug money, digital or otherwise, nothing to see here move along

I think the dealer "collaborated" under the classic threat of a life in prison. Probably he even showed them how much was in his bitcoin wallet.
I think at least one DEA investigator has spent some time into learning how bitcoin, Tor and Silk Road work. This investigator is not likely to be in for a promotion. Not for catching such a small fish.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 03:52:54 PM

A new page in bitcoin's history.

True dat. Encrypt your wallet people, and stay off silk road!

You naughty drug dealers...

are people really this stupid to buy illegal drugs online?

Well, for the most part, they've been rather smart about it. Not that I condone it, but I applaud their technical skill.

That method is too much trouble when you can go to any major university in the world and get anything you want easily. I bet there's 10 times the volume sold at student union buildings than you could ever get off of SR.  And half of it is cooked right on campus!

Chaoskampf

Activity: 182

order in numbers

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:26:16 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier...
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 04:55:32 PM

It would not be until the police strip searched me and found my private key tattooed on my penis that they would have access to my bitcoins.

That is why they call them your "privates".

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: