Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:51:57 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-23 Coindesk: CA issues cease-and-desist to Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 2443 times)
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 01:24:35 AM

URL: http://www.coindesk.com/california-issues-cease-and-desist-letter-to-bitcoin-foundation/

Includes a couple quotes that other reporting doesn't.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:28:33 AM

The letter, signed by Paul Clayton, senior counsel at the Department of Financial Institutions (California’s financial regulator), gave the Foundation 20 days to respond, although it was only received last week.

I wonder if it would have been more appropriate if Bitcoin Foundation had released this sooner (e.g., same day).  At a minimum, if someone at the Foundation learned of this order and then traded before the order was publicly released, that might be something another government agency might consider to be "insider trading".

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

JohannSummers

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 05:23:17 PM

@JohannSummers we are preparing our reply. We only received the letter last week, despite it being dated much earlier. (https://twitter.com/virtuallylaw/status/349026617236004865)

Looks like California likes to hold on to their C&D letters for a few weeks before they send them.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:25:01 PM

The letter, signed by Paul Clayton, senior counsel at the Department of Financial Institutions (California’s financial regulator), gave the Foundation 20 days to respond, although it was only received last week.

I wonder if it would have been more appropriate if Bitcoin Foundation had released this sooner (e.g., same day).  At a minimum, if someone at the Foundation learned of this order and then traded before the order was publicly released, that might be something another government agency might consider to be "insider trading".
Oh dear.
Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:44:51 PM

@JohannSummers we are preparing our reply. We only received the letter last week, despite it being dated much earlier. (https://twitter.com/virtuallylaw/status/349026617236004865)

Looks like California likes to hold on to their C&D letters for a few weeks before they send them.

Page 2, "Please advise us in writing within twenty (20) days of the date of this letter as to what steps you have taken to comply with this order." So they date it May 30 then send it out 20 days after it was dated. What the hell...

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 07:11:53 PM

Page 2, "Please advise us in writing within twenty (20) days of the date of this letter as to what steps you have taken to comply with this order." So they date it May 30 then send it out 20 days after it was dated. What the hell...
Governments operate on a, "heads I win, tails you lose" basis.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 05:46:50 AM

Insider trading laws do not apply to currencies.

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 12:06:14 PM

Insider trading laws do not apply to currencies.

Further, insider trading can be a good thing.  Read up on free markets Smiley  Any trading, "insider" or not, adds information to the market and assists in price discovery.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 05:42:16 PM

Governments operate on a, "heads I win, tails you lose" basis.
They should have PDF'd the envelope as well.  These come certified mail, so signature at receiving is required.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:05:45 PM

Further, insider trading can be a good thing.  Read up on free markets Smiley  Any trading, "insider" or not, adds information to the market and assists in price discovery.
And yet, the moral and most efficient thing to do would be to release the information right before you act since otherwise it's not a level playing field for all market participants. Moreover, it would actually be in your interest to actively suppress the information until you have taken position. I don't think being an insider in the dev team or the foundation entitles one to an information asymmetry that you exploit for personal gain.

It's scary that an important person such as you would think that way, even if you didn't act on this particular case.

Transparency is good. It's a disappointment we didn't get to know it first hand.
JohannSummers

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 09:03:31 PM

Blitz, see post by Stephen Gornick, (2nd from top). Looks like Jon Matonis announced it in Forbes less than a week after they got it, which seems like a reasonable amount of time to figure out the legal issues involved and formulate a proper response before going public with it.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:46:53 AM

Obviously the state of California did not do its research to find out that the Bitcoin Foundation (a non-profit entity) is not a MSB and nor are they transferring funds to and from people, except maybe Gavin and the other girl (whats her name?).

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:59:13 AM

Thanks, didn't realize that, I was under the impression we got it from second hand. Everything's cool. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: