Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:40:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTX 1060 Hash Speed?  (Read 354 times)
MrBaconHawk (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:18:10 AM

I'm super new to this Bitcoin mining.  I figured I should try wetting my beak here and put my gaming laptop to marginal use.  It's obviously not the best in the world for Mining but it's a start so I can learn how this all works.

Here's my specs:
- i7 6700HQ @ 2.60 Ghz
- GTX 1060 3gb Dedicated Graphics
- 8gb RAM
- NVME M.2 SSD (250gb)
- 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD

I used NiceHash Miner 2 for the last 24 hours to try it out, my pc maxes out at 93c-95c degrees, although that will be much lower when I grab a laptop cooler (any suggestions?).  I was running both my CPU and GPU at 100% for 24 hours straight and earned approximately .00015202 BTC in that time.  Which is about $1.20.  I was getting about 230 H/s on my GPU with EquiHash and about 82 H/s on my CPU with CryptoNight.  I have a feeling this is underperforming.  Shouldn't I be able to get around 10-20 MH/s with that GPU?  What can I do to get up near 10-20 MH/s in the future?  And once again, what's the best way to reduce heat for my laptop?  It has a pretty powerful dual-fan, but I'd feel better if I can keep it below 80c.

Seriously, if it's complicated and requires a lot of work, I'll give you part of whatever I mine for a while if you help me out.  I'm a noob with BTC, but I'm pretty tech literate.  So help me out here.  Thanks!  I'm also available through Discord, just reply with your Discord info.
xCRYPTO

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:51:33 AM

I'm super new to this Bitcoin mining.  I figured I should try wetting my beak here and put my gaming laptop to marginal use.  It's obviously not the best in the world for Mining but it's a start so I can learn how this all works.

Here's my specs:
- i7 6700HQ @ 2.60 Ghz
- GTX 1060 3gb Dedicated Graphics
- 8gb RAM
- NVME M.2 SSD (250gb)
- 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD

I used NiceHash Miner 2 for the last 24 hours to try it out, my pc maxes out at 93c-95c degrees, although that will be much lower when I grab a laptop cooler (any suggestions?).  I was running both my CPU and GPU at 100% for 24 hours straight and earned approximately .00015202 BTC in that time.  Which is about $1.20.  I was getting about 230 H/s on my GPU with EquiHash and about 82 H/s on my CPU with CryptoNight.  I have a feeling this is underperforming.  Shouldn't I be able to get around 10-20 MH/s with that GPU?  What can I do to get up near 10-20 MH/s in the future?  And once again, what's the best way to reduce heat for my laptop?  It has a pretty powerful dual-fan, but I'd feel better if I can keep it below 80c.

Seriously, if it's complicated and requires a lot of work, I'll give you part of whatever I mine for a while if you help me out.  I'm a noob with BTC, but I'm pretty tech literate.  So help me out here.  Thanks!  I'm also available through Discord, just reply with your Discord info.

Laptop isn't recommended for mining, you should try to build a desktop mining rig. If you don't want to burn your laptop stop mining using it and don't sacrifice it.
MrBaconHawk (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 07:19:16 AM

I wasn't really asking if you think I should use my laptop or not.  I asked how to get better hash rates.

Also, the laptop performs just as well as a desktop.  Once I grab a cooling pad, my temps will be cut considerably.  Besides, it can comfortably run on max for 24 hours without an issue.  Having the exact same hardware in a desktop would do me almost no good.  It would likely also cost me more.  This laptop was only $800.

Anyway, discussing laptop vs desktop is a moot point, because I HAVE a laptop, and I do NOT HAVE a desktop, and I will not be selling this laptop for a desktop, and I will still be mining bitcoins, regardless.  So it's all a pretty useless discussion.  You're essentially just finding a reason to bash laptop mining any way you can.  If you have positive feedback, I welcome it.  If you do not, you may think it all you like... but to yourself.  I'm just looking for tips on how to maximize the profitability of what I CURRENTLY have.

Essentially, telling me to go buy a desktop is like if I asked how to maximize hash rates on an Antminer S7, you reply "Don't use that, go buy an S9".  My question wasn't "Should I use a different miner?".  It was about maximizing hash rates.  Please, stay on topic.
P00ky

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 07:47:30 AM

Good stuff in this thread, I needed the laugh. I thought you were going to be rude for just the start of the post, but no, had to make sure that point was made.  Cheesy

New guy - *I'm new, let me come to this forum and ask the community for free advice on how to make money.*

Experienced member - "I think what you are doing is a bad idea, you should probably reconsider your plan."

New guy - "Shut up, I know what I'm doing. Now help me."

Please new guy, be like me. Chill out, read a whole bunch and then read some more. Take your time, don't waste your money out of ignorance.
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 07:50:04 AM

.00015202 BTC  per day nice hash

That means if you leave your shit running after 100 days you will qualify for a 0.01 payout, where you will be told that you must have to wait until 0.015 for a payout, then after another 50 days they will tell you that you can cash out your BTC to paypal, but they get a 50% fee.

FUCK NICEhash

laptop is for testing

Your 1060-3 should get your 280 sols/sec ( equihash )

Maybe 10MH/S ( ethash ) if your lucky

Right now equihash is best, so U mine hush, you will get about $2 day, but paid out daily on hush.suprnova.cc

NICEHASH doesn't pay out bitcoin, they use BTC as an accounting number, when you finally force them to payout they give you choice, shopping at their store, or cash at paypal

The ppl who really get fucked by nicehash are the people paying REAL BITCOIN for losing money on mining.

Lastly, I might add that yes your 1060-3 can make $2/day but it will burn that in electricity cost, so you net ZERO

Mining doesn't pay unless u have a rig of 6-1060-3, but NOW your talking a $1400 USD investment, to make $5/day Smiley
bitfools

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 07:55:56 AM

Good stuff in this thread, I needed the laugh. I thought you were going to be rude for just the start of the post, but no, had to make sure that point was made.  Cheesy

New guy - *I'm new, let me come to this forum and ask the community for free advice on how to make money.*

Experienced member - "I think what you are doing is a bad idea, you should probably reconsider your plan."

New guy - "Shut up, I know what I'm doing. Now help me."

Please new guy, be like me. Chill out, read a whole bunch and then read some more. Take your time, don't waste your money out of ignorance.

too funny noob-zero, flaming a noob-one this is rich, me thinks, both u bots work for the same shiil company, probably nicehash if I had to ask, the first rhetorical answer here, is "If your even contemplating nicehash, your a fucking idiot".

"HOw much hash does my 1060-3 get", well that depend on the ALGO, pray tell ""what is an algo", this is where it gets rich,

Our noon-1, didn't mention the nicehash-algo, funny like it mattered, he tells us he ran his system at 93C to earn 0.000000001 BTC on nicehash, again so fucking rich, to be paid out in 10,000 light years.

Too fucking funny are these nicehash bots trying to ripoff idiots trying to get rich 'mining'
P00ky

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 08:06:21 AM
Last edit: November 17, 2017, 08:17:05 AM by P00ky

NICEHASH doesn't pay out bitcoin, they use BTC as an accounting number, when you finally force them to payout they give you choice, shopping at their store, or cash at paypal

I got my .002 out, but yeah, don't go with nicehash longterm anything.

- i7 6700HQ @ 2.60 Ghz

I used NiceHash Miner 2 for the last 24 hours to try it out, my pc maxes out at 93c-95c degrees, although that will be much lower when I grab a laptop cooler (any suggestions?). I was getting about 230 H/s on my GPU with EquiHash and about 82 H/s on my CPU with CryptoNight.  I have a feeling this is underperforming.

Seriously though, it's under-performing because it's throttling. Will a cooling pad help? Yes, it will take longer for it to throttle.

TJunction max for that chip is 100C, and your system is reporting the temperature capping at 95? You might think that's okay because it's 5C lower than max but you have to remember that A) these diodes are shit when it comes to variance at extremes, and B) they are practically (literally?) never actually at the TJunction point so the reading will always be lower than what the CPU die is experiencing. Your laptop is hitting the metaphorical rev-limiter and you're leaving it like that for 24hrs.

If you really got this laptop for cheap your best bet to make money with it is to sell it immediately or use it to learn a valuable life skill. For example, learn how to make coherent statements unlike what you see above. 
MrBaconHawk (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 08:22:26 AM

too funny noob-zero, flaming a noob-one this is rich, me thinks, both u bots work for the same shiil company, probably nicehash if I had to ask, the first rhetorical answer here, is "If your even contemplating nicehash, your a fucking idiot".

"HOw much hash does my 1060-3 get", well that depend on the ALGO, pray tell ""what is an algo", this is where it gets rich,

Our noon-1, didn't mention the nicehash-algo, funny like it mattered, he tells us he ran his system at 93C to earn 0.000000001 BTC on nicehash, again so fucking rich, to be paid out in 10,000 light years.

Too fucking funny are these nicehash bots trying to ripoff idiots trying to get rich 'mining'

I feel like you all missed this sentence in my post... "It's obviously not the best in the world for Mining but it's a start so I can learn how this all works."

This really has nothing to do with "profitability".  I know a laptop isn't the best Mining rig.  I also know the power consumption is not going to help me.  I am doing this to LEARN how MINING WORKS.  I don't understand why you guys are all attacking me for wanting to understand it.  I never asked anyone to make me rich or lay it all out for me.  I'm just wondering methods I could use to get a better hash speed.  From what I'm reading, NiceHash was a fun experiment to know that it works, that's about it.  I guess I should be using some other system or something to do it?  What can I do to get 10-20 MH/s like I've seen other people have?  Also, I know it's not profitable, but if you were to ignore power costs and the decreasing lifespan of my laptop, how much Bitcoin should I expect per month?  Is the $2/day estimate legitimate or just a random guess?.  That's about $60 a month, which means power-wise, it would be profitable.  Running my laptop 24/7 only costs me about $30 max per month.  Plus, I'll be selling the laptop in a year or so, so I'm not worried about long-term effects.  It's obviously not a get-rich quick scheme, I'm just looking for a way to learn about it, get involved, and hopefully break even power-wise.  If I don't break even, I'm not going to be upset or surprised.  Just point me in the right direction is all...
MrBaconHawk (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 08:38:21 AM

My laptop runs at about 128 watts, converting that to kWh is about 3.072 kWh for 24 hours of use.  At 8.6 cents per kWh (I think it's actually just 8.0), that means about 26.4 cents per day.  If I make $2 in a day, that means I'm still netting about $1.74 per day, or $52.07 per month or $624.89 per year.  That's assuming Bitcoin price remains constant, although I feel like it may rise over time.  Regardless, that means it's net positive to run it at $2 per day.

Regardless, I likely won't run it all day every day.  I want to use this for testing it out, trying out mining with what I currently have.  If all I had was a crappy HP notebook, that's what I'd use.  But luckily I have something fairly updated that, at least, won't make me lose money.  So, does anyone have some tips for me to help me reach a $2 mark per day?  I know you mentioned mining EquiHash, that's what my understanding was upon looking at NiceHash's numbers.  How might I go about doing this without using NiceHash, and cashing out every day, as you said?  Any direction is much appreciated, I just need to know where to look.
bitfools

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 08:45:48 AM

I feel like you all missed this sentence in my post... "It's obviously not the best in the world for Mining but it's a start so I can learn how this all works."

This really has nothing to do with "profitability".  I know a laptop isn't the best Mining rig.  I also know the power consumption is not going to help me.  I am doing this to LEARN how MINING WORKS.  I don't understand why you guys are all attacking me for wanting to understand it.  I never asked anyone to make me rich or lay it all out for me.  I'm just wondering methods I could use to get a better hash speed.  From what I'm reading, NiceHash was a fun experiment to know that it works, that's about it.  I guess I should be using some other system or something to do it?  What can I do to get 10-20 MH/s like I've seen other people have?  Also, I know it's not profitable, but if you were to ignore power costs and the decreasing lifespan of my laptop, how much Bitcoin should I expect per month?  Is the $2/day estimate legitimate or just a random guess?.  That's about $60 a month, which means power-wise, it would be profitable.  Running my laptop 24/7 only costs me about $30 max per month.  Plus, I'll be selling the laptop in a year or so, so I'm not worried about long-term effects.  It's obviously not a get-rich quick scheme, I'm just looking for a way to learn about it, get involved, and hopefully break even power-wise.  If I don't break even, I'm not going to be upset or surprised.  Just point me in the right direction is all...

Seriously say your running nvidia, there is a power setting, say your running 1060-3 U set at 80 watts max, NEVER let temp go above 70C

There is a cmd-line on minter --templimit=72 Use it or kill your hw

STOP what your doing and learn some basic physics of electronics, ... learn what watts are and temperature.

What's YOU GOAL? To destroy your computer to make $2/day??
bitfools

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 08:51:43 AM

My laptop runs at about 128 watts, converting that to kWh is about 3.072 kWh for 24 hours of use.  At 8.6 cents per kWh (I think it's actually just 8.0), that means about 26.4 cents per day.  If I make $2 in a day, that means I'm still netting about $1.74 per day, or $52.07 per month or $624.89 per year.  That's assuming Bitcoin price remains constant, although I feel like it may rise over time.  Regardless, that means it's net positive to run it at $2 per day.

Regardless, I likely won't run it all day every day.  I want to use this for testing it out, trying out mining with what I currently have.  If all I had was a crappy HP notebook, that's what I'd use.  But luckily I have something fairly updated that, at least, won't make me lose money.  So, does anyone have some tips for me to help me reach a $2 mark per day?  I know you mentioned mining EquiHash, that's what my understanding was upon looking at NiceHash's numbers.  How might I go about doing this without using NiceHash, and cashing out every day, as you said?  Any direction is much appreciated, I just need to know where to look.

U R fucked, U shouldn't being doing this on a lap-top

Most of the time the -pl settings of nvidia-smi are not accepted for laptops, your probably using windows which makes this thread even more fucking pathetic,

What U do, and I don't care what miner, use --templimit=72, this will tell the miner to give the laptop a rest whien it hits 72C

If U use linux install 'sensors' and keep a tab on all temp stats internal

Your 1060-3 should not be using more than 80 watts, but cycling it off when it heats above 72C accomplishes the same type of duty-cycle.

EQUIHASH pays more than ETHASH, stop what your doing, to go whattomine.com, click on ONE-1060, and study the list of what is tops, U will see equihash on top, and ethash on bottom,

I agree with noob-zone our noob-one, doesn't listen, he doesn't want to listen, nor does he care to listen, the sooner he burns up his laptop the best for all of us Smiley

The fact that your laptop is burn 120watts don't mean shit,

All that matters in MINING is your sol rate, or you mh/sec rate if your doing ethash,

What matters is MAX sols, and MIN use of power.

Go learn physics, please

I don't give a fuck about your laptop, we're talking about a 1060-3, who the fuck knows how your cooking it right now?

Have you run nvidia-smi and studied the power usage? When u run the miner have u watched teh power power&temp

Hypothitecal 1060-3 80watts 24/7/30 is $12/mon at $0.20 kwh, You will be lucky to make $1/day on BTG NET, so $18/month if lucky, but you will burn your laptop up in a few more days, so who cares?
MrBaconHawk (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 09:16:34 AM

I don't give a fuck about your laptop, we're talking about a 1060-3, who the fuck knows how your cooking it right now?

Have you run nvidia-smi and studied the power usage? When u run the miner have u watched teh power power&temp

Hypothitecal 1060-3 80watts 24/7/30 is $12/mon at $0.20 kwh, You will be lucky to make $1/day on BTG NET, so $18/month if lucky, but you will burn your laptop up in a few more days, so who cares?

Well, considering my kWh is only $0.08, and not $0.20, that further validates what I'm saying.  It will cost me a maximum of $7.37 / month to run my laptop completely maxed out.  I also have no issue running my laptop at max, considering I can always resell it when I think it's lived most of it's days out and also considering I run ridiculous things on it like Crysis 3 on Ultra using my Oculus Rift for a few hours.

I would maybe consider having it give my laptop a break at 80-85 degrees, but any computer can easily and comfortably handle that temperature for extended periods of time.  This laptop doesn't have to last me forever.  It's expendable.  Why would I own this laptop just to let it sit around and collect dust?  I'm going to use every ounce of power it has until it dies or until I sell it.  We all know that in a year, there will be new laptops that will make this one obsolete, so honestly, who cares about the lifespan of the laptop?  Not me.  I could sell the parts easily for a few hundred even if it dies.

But ONCE AGAIN... as I said a dozen times now.  I DON'T GIVE A SHIT about how much power it takes up or how fast it will die.  ALL I CARE ABOUT is using this laptop to learn about Mining, how to do it, how it works, and how to optimize it all.  I couldn't care less if my laptop explodes tomorrow or if my power bill is a Bazillion dollars.  Although neither of which will happen in the foreseeable future.  So stop talking about moot points, because none of that matters.  ALL THAT MATTERS is the optimization of the mining.  Let me handle the other details.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: