Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:46:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie mistake  (Read 1204 times)
Apo (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:07:54 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2013, 05:18:18 AM by Apo

So I thought I had all this btc stuff sorted, created a wallet, created an address and started mining on  bitcoincz, just got my email to say my first payout was sent...waited ~12 hrs and it has not appeared in my wallet..

I have been looking into it and it appears I used a BTC address to be used for sending payments, not an address for receiving payments. I created an address in the "Addresses" tab of bitcoin-qt incorrectly, should have been an address in the "receive" tab.

Is there any means I can recover the btc from the incorrect address or has it disappeared into the ether for ever?

Any assistance appreciated.

Mr Confused Newbie

Apo...
dustmycoinoff

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:20:16 AM

i used the same address for sending and receiving.

other than  that i cant help,  sorry : (
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 05:22:02 AM

So I thought I had all this btc stuff sorted, created a wallet, created an address and started mining on  bitcoincz, just got my email to say my first payout was sent...waited ~12 hrs and it has not appeared in my wallet..

I have been looking into it and it appears I used a BTC address to be used for sending payments, not an address for receiving payments. I created an address in the "Addresses" tab of bitcoin-qt incorrectly, should have been an address in the "receive" tab.

Is there any means I can recover the btc from the incorrect address or has it disappeared into the ether for ever?

Any assistance appreciated.

Mr Confused Newbie

Apo...

What was the bitcoin address you used, exactly?

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Apo (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:20:56 AM

It is an address listed in "Addresses" in bitcoin-qt, I dont think it should be posted here, which actually says "These are your bitcoin addresses for sending payments", it doesnt say you can receive on it also..??

My account also does not show any transactions

dan2097

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:04:20 AM

It is an address listed in "Addresses" in bitcoin-qt, I dont think it should be posted here, which actually says "These are your bitcoin addresses for sending payments"
That does sound confusing. It really does sounds like they imply that it is an address to be used to send payments to you, no ?
Apo (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:07:40 AM

Hence newbie mistake ...
blabla15

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 09:13:48 AM

Take care next time.
dan2097

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 09:41:49 AM

So whose wallet was that you sent coins to in the end ?
kleetkluts

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 09:50:53 AM

Hope you got this sorted, and that your lost payment wasn't that large!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:43:36 PM

Ok, so you manually entered an address into the Address book and then sent bitcoins to that address.

The question is, where did you get the address from?  When you created it in the address book, did you just type a bunch of random characters?  Did you choose an address you saw on the internet somewhere?  That address had to have gotten into the address book somehow.  The Bitcoin-Qt wallet doesn't just put random addresses into the address book on its own.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 01:24:00 PM

This seems confusing. Maybe you sent the bitcoins to someone else?

YouBet

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 02:59:22 PM

my best suggestion is to create a help or trouble ticket with the exchange you are using and persistently press for help until you get it.  i am sure that you are not the first to make this mistake, as the instructions sound vague.  good luck!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 03:27:08 PM

my best suggestion is to create a help or trouble ticket with the exchange you are using
- snip -
What makes you think that the OP is using an exchange?  He said "I created an address in the 'Addresses' tab of bitcoin-qt".  Bitcoin-Qt is not an exchange.

This seems confusing. Maybe you sent the bitcoins to someone else?

Probably, but the OP hasn't provided enough information yet to figure out what happened.  They claim that they used an address from the "Address Book" of Bitcoin-Qt, but they haven't explained yet how that address got into their address book.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 04:14:52 PM

It is an address listed in "Addresses" in bitcoin-qt, I dont think it should be posted here, which actually says "These are your bitcoin addresses for sending payments", it doesnt say you can receive on it also..??

My account also does not show any transactions

Was it a name or a bunch of characters?

Apo (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:01:33 PM

The address that I entered was not just a bunch of characters or a label it was a valid address that was created in bitcoin-qt "Addresses" tab using the "+New Address" button. I cut and paste this address into bitcoincz's account settings.

what I did not realize previously was that it appears bitcoin addresses do not seem to be able to be used to sending AND receiving, which seems strange to me.

I dont think the coins will have got sent to anyone elses wallet since the bitcoin address will not duplicated anywhere in the network..

DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 05:11:47 PM

The address that I entered was not just a bunch of characters or a label it was a valid address that was created in bitcoin-qt "Addresses" tab using the "+New Address" button. I cut and paste this address into bitcoincz's account settings.

what I did not realize previously was that it appears bitcoin addresses do not seem to be able to be used to sending AND receiving, which seems strange to me.

I dont think the coins will have got sent to anyone elses wallet since the bitcoin address will not duplicated anywhere in the network..

In the addresses tab, that is basically a contact book - an example bitcoin address (albeit a vanity, usually it's ALL random characters) is the one in my signature. You can't have addresses such as "Alex".

btalk1

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:17:15 PM

In the addresses tab, that is basically a contact book - an example bitcoin address (albeit a vanity, usually it's ALL random characters) is the one in my signature. You can't have addresses such as "Alex".

But 1Alex jhsdgfbdsuf if it's not already taken
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 05:18:45 PM

But 1Alex jhsdgfbdsuf if it's not already taken

Bro, I could make you 1Alex for .01 BTC xD

EDIT: No, I couldn't, but I can make you 1Lolz or whatever xD

EDIT2: Wait, yes, I could  Tongue

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 05:27:08 PM

Post or PM the address you used.  We keep asking you to do that.  Why won't you post the exact address you used so we can help you?

It should start with the number one and then be a string of random looking letters and numbers.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 05:41:08 PM

Post or PM the address you used.  We keep asking you to do that.  Why won't you post the exact address you used so we can help you?

It should start with the number one and then be a string of random looking letters and numbers.

I think he's saying that he made a contact and then put that in his payment info, so it sent to an address such as "MiningPayment" (which is strange, as i'm pretty sure most Bitcoin clients reject payments to non-valid addresses, although his mining pool might have just kept the coins after the payment was never sent but registered as sent in it's database.).

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: