Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:47:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Bitmain or Bitfury ASIC chips directly  (Read 4457 times)
x8664amd (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 6

Long term HODLer since 2014

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 09:37:54 AM

Does anyone know how to buy bitmain or bitfury chips directly? I am thinking about doing a group-buy of custom rigs. The Bitmain wait is absolutely insane.

What do people think about this idea?

Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Just HODL.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 03:17:23 PM

Been tried, didn't work then, probably won't now unless you gots mega$$ and inside contacts!

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
wavelengthsf

Activity: 658
Merit: 118

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:47:32 PM

Does anyone know how to buy bitmain or bitfury chips directly? I am thinking about doing a group-buy of custom rigs. The Bitmain wait is absolutely insane.

What do people think about this idea?

I believe Bitfury's minimum order size is $1m. Bitmain doesn't sell their naked chips - even if they did, since there is wait for their units, why would they sell a key component so someone can beat them to market?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 07:54:29 PM

Considering it would take months to build prototypes with the naked chips and all sorts of other things it makes no sense whatsoever since bitmains shipping time is normally under 60 days from the time of order.

Why instead of having a modicum of patience are you wanting to tank your entire business with some poorly thought out scheme to build your own stuff?

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
x8664amd (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:00:33 AM

Been tried, didn't work then, probably won't now unless you gots mega$$ and inside contacts!

Hmm  Undecided I guess the circuitry isn't that complicated when I looked at my Antminer S9. Why does it take mega bucks $$ to do this?

c-none

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:18:34 AM

Only Bitfury sells chips along that companies. Minimum order is $500k and $7 per chip.
They were talking about sample orders but since last year there's no update yet. I think it's better to go their HQ and check.

You will have 71.4xx chips in total each can be o/c'ed upto 185 GH/s.

Not a bad idea, this is what I am thinking since a few months but I don't have that much capital yet.
hakokur

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 08:19:45 AM

Hmm  Undecided I guess the circuitry isn't that complicated when I looked at my Antminer S9. Why does it take mega bucks $$ to do this?

Because ASIC chips are not cheap, that's it. Once I've contacted a manufacturer and they said don't write us if you don't have 4M dollars Cheesy
floppydisk

Activity: 92
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 10:25:00 AM

Only Bitfury sells chips along that companies. Minimum order is $500k and $7 per chip.
They were talking about sample orders but since last year there's no update yet. I think it's better to go their HQ and check.

Not a bad idea, this is what I am thinking since a few months but I don't have that much capital yet.

If it's possible to get the chip, then is there anyone who can complete the puzzle to get the chip as working hardware ?
impulse110

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 08:46:37 PM

maybe we can crowdfund our own fab.
coinrecs

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 10:02:04 PM

From what I understand you can't buy the Bitmain chips direct.  You'd need to order miners with BCH and break them out.  I suppose there is a chance if the order is big enough, but considering demand far outweighs supply I wouldn't expect a deviation without paying a sizable premium.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 12:18:49 AM

maybe we can crowdfund our own fab.
Would make for a record-breaking GoFundMe....
Objective: Build stete-of-the-art IC fab for producing 16/14nm node Crypto coin mining ASIC's
Target to be Raised: $4,000,000,000
Time-frame for building fab after raising capital: 4 years.

Do you have ANY idea what it takes to produce integrated circuits?

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:23:53 AM

He probably meant design and have produced a batch of chips, not build a factory from scratch.

Leastways I hope that's what he meant.

All would change is knocking off a couple zeroes from the campaign - still pretty unattainable.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
x8664amd (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 05:49:20 AM

Because ASIC chips are not cheap, that's it. Once I've contacted a manufacturer and they said don't write us if you don't have 4M dollars Cheesy

I am seriously thinking about doing a group-buy of chips and making our own boxes. I'm seriously sick of being held at the neck by BITMAIN.

Who's interested? I think we should be able to group together $4mm (in a pseudo serious toneRoll Eyes

Serg_777

Activity: 54
Merit: 2

DAICO

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2017, 08:11:23 AM

Hello. We here in Russia also want to work on new machines, Bitfury B8, 5200 usd but minimum order 2 mln usd, now I put the machine on the boards, Bitfury with Georgia and Iceland on old 28 nm chips and consumes 6.5 KW of electricity, but you can disperse 20 to 28 Th, they fails there change to a new 16 nm. But how to buy nobody sells that sold me the grey party is not clear how and where brought. Maybe someone knows where to get and then I have a lot of energy of 1 MW to 4 rubles, and if to do with gas 1.26 ruble

DAICO "Зeлeнaя Шaxтa" -=+Пpeвpaщaя Teплo в Жизнь+=- www.greenmine.online
cableiso

Activity: 244
Merit: 280

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 08:00:39 PM

I got the same reply from BF, $2M min order.

I have the ability and the contacts to produce the PCB and the machine, but the budget is far beyond my disposable cash.

Anyone who is serious, get in touch.  I'm wondering if we can get 50 units of the BF chip from some other buyer to debug the design.  Once that's done, there is much less risk is going to mass production.

As for starting a fab, no that's not possible.  I have been designing IC's for 15 years, that is not feasible.  Better to buy a used fab from a company going fabless.  BTW that's also not feasible, but way better than trying to build one.
floppydisk

Activity: 92
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 12:30:01 AM

If this continues, I doubt they will grow (as fast as competitor) except keep luring deep pocket customer to acquire their customized mining chips/system.

For 2 mill $, chip of similar efficiency than those in S9, with chances of design failure to get it working as a system  / not working at all versus S9 which is already in existing market, well known (good & not so good experiences). It's bleak future for those chips.

Technology must be accessible by means of cost and availability. If it's too expansive, very less exposure to it's technology, least likely it would grow.
helen_davis87

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:36:36 PM

He probably meant design and have produced a batch of chips, not build a factory from scratch.

Leastways I hope that's what he meant.

All would change is knocking off a couple zeroes from the campaign - still pretty unattainable.

Even though it's a very expensive process to build a batch of chips, since creating masks require cleanrooms for starters...
It's not feasable for a startup company, so why bother
bsp

Activity: 40
Merit: 7

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 06:54:57 AM

BF says $7/chip and $2M order.
I have connections to make a buy like this. BF salesguy said: "I've forwarded your info to my colleague and he will be in touch shortly".
It has been 3 weeks since then...
Hmmm
Maybe BF is not very keen on selling their 16nm chips?
BoardDesigner

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 07:00:56 PM

I reached out to Bitfury recently.  They quoted 8.15 U.S. a chip and minimum buy of 2 million dollars. not realistic for the hobby engineer.....
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 08:00:12 PM

I reached out to Bitfury recently.  They quoted 8.15 U.S. a chip and minimum buy of 2 million dollars. not realistic for the hobby engineer.....
Even *if* does one get hold of chips you then still have to write a driver for them. It is not just a matter of talking to them via I2C or SPI. You need to format the data and establish the work protocols the chips use.

Ever since the s7 Bitmain has stopped providing any of that information. If you do manage to get chips from BitFury only then will they provide the needed resources to write a driver.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: