Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:02:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What level of air filtration do u use for your bitcoin miners?  (Read 1642 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:50:34 PM

I use merv3, Less restriction the better, I don't see any fine dust partials settling on the hash boards at such high fan speeds.

I go with the 9 to keep my OWN problems with breathing under control - especially this past summer of massive forest fires everywhere making Central Washington air far worse than Los Angeles ever gets.

The miners would probably be plenty fine with those "fiberglass" type washable filters, or even no filtering at all.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hookdisney

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 04:11:04 AM

Absolutely no filtration. I plan to blow it out with an air compressor every 6 to 12 months or as needed, which won't be often.

And that is good enough? How do u know u need to use the air can. When the temp is higher than normal?

Blowing it out every 6 to 12 months in my area would keep it clean enough to where i'd never see a noticeable temp increase from dust.
If temps were higher than normal, first thing i'd do is check for dust though.
Sandal_Hat (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 04:13:06 PM

I use merv3, Less restriction the better, I don't see any fine dust partials settling on the hash boards at such high fan speeds.

Hmmmm I see. U checked it inside? Is this after a few months or how long?
The outside is still abit dusty right? But I guess that doesnt matter

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 04:15:42 PM

Reducing dust and crud build-up is an important goal if you're going to be mining for any length of time. When dust builds up in a miner it blocks the heat transfer of course, but also allows airborne grease and oil to become trapped in the miner making a real mess. This acts like a nice little blanket over your chips/fets, sealing in the warm-ness.

These usually show up at my repair facility with burned chips and FETs. Fixable, but a mess.

The real problem of course is when that combination of lint and oil catches fire from an overstressed capacitor shorting plus 4,000 watts of +12v from the monster supply feeding several miners. Then the lack of a Halon system in your mining center becomes an issue....

And then there are the people who run miners in horse barns.......

like this Grin

This have never actually happened before right?

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 04:19:02 PM

I go with the 9 to keep my OWN problems with breathing under control - especially this past summer of massive forest fires everywhere making Central Washington air far worse than Los Angeles ever gets.

The miners would probably be plenty fine with those "fiberglass" type washable filters, or even no filtering at all.

I see. So, the G9 is for u and not the miner lol

Absolutely no filtration. I plan to blow it out with an air compressor every 6 to 12 months or as needed, which won't be often.

And that is good enough? How do u know u need to use the air can. When the temp is higher than normal?

Blowing it out every 6 to 12 months in my area would keep it clean enough to where i'd never see a noticeable temp increase from dust.

So, u use no filter and only do blowing every few months ya

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 11:22:17 PM

One of the large Chinese bitcoin farms had a fire that burnt out most of their facility.
I suspect most fires involving miners have been small though - probably only burnt part of the board on one miner due to power overdraw at the connectors.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:03:37 AM

One of the large Chinese bitcoin farms had a fire that burnt out most of their facility.
I suspect most fires involving miners have been small though - probably only burnt part of the board on one miner due to power overdraw at the connectors.

Curious on this. Wat lead to this?

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:30:42 AM

Based on the pics in the thread, it looked like a combination of hot dry weather, VERY poor wire management, and probably something got overloaded - coupled with NO fire prevention/retardation measures used.

jbillk

Activity: 71
Merit: 41

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 06:44:13 PM

I agree, just a basic  filtration. MY filter is washable.  Not worried about dust or pollen. I just dont want any larger items to get caught up in heat sinks, like hair or lint. My dog sheds like crazy.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 09:06:10 PM

Perhaps I should specify more.

The filters I use are on the air intake to the ROOM - which uses 3 standard box fans (20"x20" filters are a PERFECT fit for those) pulling out of an "airbox" I built that sucks the air through an intake vent that is about 16" x 30".

With the triple fans setup, the real airflow restriction is the vent itself.

Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 03:21:48 PM

I see. Noted all the info. Thanks

Wow 3 box fans, thats total of 15,000 cfm?

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 03:47:31 AM

More like 6000 if they weren't air filtered - I figure I'm probably getting about half that WITH the filters in place, more when the filters are new less when they get close to end-of-life clogged up.

Typical Lasko/Galaxy standard low cost box fan is rated a little over 2000 CFM, if I remember the spec sheet I found on them ONCE after a lot of digging.

Sandal_Hat (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:17:24 AM

More like 6000 if they weren't air filtered - I figure I'm probably getting about half that WITH the filters in place, more when the filters are new less when they get close to end-of-life clogged up.

Typical Lasko/Galaxy standard low cost box fan is rated a little over 2000 CFM, if I remember the spec sheet I found on them ONCE after a lot of digging.

I see. So less than 6,000 cfm. How many miners do u have?
Total watts around 6000?

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:50:10 PM

Between the ASICs, the GPUs that are actively mining, and my BOINC/Moo Wrapper/Dnet farms (plus a few extra machines and the evaps etc) I'm pulling ballpark 15 KW on average.
 Bit less the last couple months after I shut one evap down and the other has been getting turned off part of the time by the thermostat it's on.

Hookdisney

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:14:40 AM

I see. So, the G9 is for u and not the miner lol

So, u use no filter and only do blowing every few months ya

Correct
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: