Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:04:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Choose a Wallet  (Read 209 times)
NoobStroob (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:23:13 PM

In your opinion, what's the best wallet to store BTC? I'm currently looking into different online wallets, but I'm not sure which one I can use reliably. Also, would you recommend paying the extra bit of money and just using a hardware wallet? If so, which hardware wallet would you recommend (mainly between Trezor and Nano). I don't mind paying a little more for the added security as long as a hardware wallet has more benefits than an online one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:42:00 PM

In your opinion, what's the best wallet to store BTC? I'm currently looking into different online wallets, but I'm not sure which one I can use reliably. Also, would you recommend paying the extra bit of money and just using a hardware wallet? If so, which hardware wallet would you recommend (mainly between Trezor and Nano). I don't mind paying a little more for the added security as long as a hardware wallet has more benefits than an online one.

I recommend Electrum,it is easy to setup and use. If you disconnect yourself from the internet and make a new wallet you got yourself a cold wallet.

I would go for Hardware wallet if you have more than a few BTCs, it is undoubtedly the most secure and safest solution. Trezor and Nano are both in the same league safety-wise, so choose the one that supports the coins you own or want to invest in.
NoobStroob (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 08:02:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of any online wallets that support altcoins as well?
kahc

Merit: 13

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 08:39:04 PM
Last edit: November 17, 2017, 09:51:58 PM by kahc

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of any online wallets that support altcoins as well?

Is there a specific coin you are looking for?
Every online exchanges(like bittrex, Bithumb, cryptopia, coinbase, etc....) use online wallet, also known as hot wallet. There you have different wallets for each type of coins that they support.
For desktop we have Exodus, Jaxx. For Android device Coinomi.

Personally I use MyEtherWallet for ETH and ERC20 tokens. MyEtherWallet can function both as hot and cold wallet.

Hint: Never store huge amount on exchanges for an extended period of time , and always use cold wallet for long-term investment.
pugi2

Activity: 286
Merit: 31

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 12:53:19 AM

For bitcoin since i have not much bitcoin, i just use online wallet thats blockchain.info
Thats my favorit wallet for bitcoin.
CoinCollector006

Merit: 251

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 01:37:14 AM

Hello, if I were in your shoes I would have several wallets at a minimum to diversify your capital and would proceed as follows.

BTC: electrum, jaxx
ETH: myetherwallet, metamask

jaxx allows you to store lots of other tokens besides BTC. Once you have a bigger portfolio might consider a Ledger Nano wallet (its cheaper so you can buy two of them to have a backup on case the first one breaks or is lost). 

Some people recommend Coinomi wallets, but I am not sure its a good idea to store your wealth on your phone. 

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
kmarume

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 01:50:03 AM

I currently have a small amount in Coinbase but I remember seeing somewhere that they're not very good. Thoughts?
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 04:23:41 AM

The "best wallet" is tough for anyone to give anyone else advice on. There are so many personal variables involved in that decision. E.g., what are you using the wallet for - savings or transactions? What other currencies do you need to maintain in this wallet? What country do you live in?

Everyone's opinion is cool, but none of them will be perfect for you.

Instead, check out this site that compares all the crypto wallets: https://www.cryptocompare.com/wallets/#/overview

Good luck!
NoobStroob (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 05:52:24 AM

Angry
The "best wallet" is tough for anyone to give anyone else advice on. There are so many personal variables involved in that decision. E.g., what are you using the wallet for - savings or transactions? What other currencies do you need to maintain in this wallet? What country do you live in?

Everyone's opinion is cool, but none of them will be perfect for you.

Instead, check out this site that compares all the crypto wallets: https://www.cryptocompare.com/wallets/#/overview

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'm mainly concerned with long-term holding right now. I'm currently holding all crypto (BTC, LTC, and ETH) in different exchanges, but I'm trying to get them out of the exchanges for obvious security reasons.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: