Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:05:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watercooling L3+, possible?  (Read 268 times)
Krillian (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:23:57 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has tried water cooling the Antminer L3+ and if yes, with any success, and care to share how?

Wondering not for overclocking, just to reduce the noise it produces.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EpicMining26

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 11:11:42 PM

Look there's no easy answer here. The first question you need to ask is what type of watercooling? If you were thinking direct chip cooling, its gonna be risky as hell seeing as the heatsinks are soldered to the chips and the process of removing them in a safe manner requires quite an amount of technical knowledge, tools, and some pixy dust because as previously stated it's super risky. The odds of you fucking up a chip while trying to remove a sink is high. Ok maybe not that route, maybe a massive watercooled radiator on the intake fan? Great but now you impede airflow by sticking a massive block of aluminium in front of the fan. Also how do you cool the water in the radiator to below current ambient? Chuck ice into reservoir? No too expensive. Use a 2 stage evaporative cooling system to cool down the water? No too expensive once again and for that matter why not just stick and AC in front of it anyway. Ok maybe step it up a notch. How about submerging the boards into that fancy 3M Novec fluid? Sure, but the fluid itself would cost you more than the machine itself. So no, there's a reason no one has quite done this in a cheap and/or efficient manner seeing as cost is a major factor regarding these machines and their respective profits. The amount of work and physical man hours you would put in to convert one of these miners into a watercooling variant is to much of a hassle and not worth doing as it is obscenely risky. My advice if your so inclined is to downclock it thus reducing the heat output and reducing fan speed as result or build a "soundproof" to stick the miner in and a hose to vent the hot air. Personally I'd go with the second one as it can be done fairly cheap and can reduce the noise tenfold. Have a good one.
coldstorage

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 04:11:25 AM

I saw a youtube video maybe a month or two ago from someone testing immersion in mineral oil, as per some increasingly popular PC/fish tank immersion builds.  It was from someone looking to build a farm more efficiently, and it was a small test.  I never looked for a follow up, but if you're interested, that might be the most practical liquid approach.  However, the challenge is going to be moving the oil so no hot spots cook your gear, and that might generate a fair amount of noise itself.  Seems pretty risky to me.  Build it wrong, lose your miner, and you lose a lot of money in addition to the money spent on oil and pumps.  But might be worth a little youtube searching.  And while you're there, there are plenty of sound reducing boxes on youtube as well that are cheap and much simpler to make.
MantaMine

Activity: 301
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 04:28:30 AM

Anything is possible.  I share this with you though:

A watercooling loop is just one more component that can go bad.  This is spoken from experience as a former antminer c1 owner.  Pumps can fail, tubes and radiators can leak, etc. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: