Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:35:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: In what format do you prefer to purchase new mining hardware?
Group Buy Re-Seller - arrives in 1-2 weeks (rarely longer, depending on stock, customs, etc), $ cheap
In-Stock Re-Seller (exclusive) - arrives in 1-2 days - $$ average
In-Stock Re-Seller (non-exclusive) - arrives in 1-2 days - $$$ most expensive
Pre-order (directly from mfg) - uncertain time frame, untested product - $ near cost

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Hardware - Purchase Method Poll  (Read 1859 times)
kosmokramer (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The Assman: CEO of Vandelay Import/Export, Inc.

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 11:39:55 AM

I've noticed there are a variety of ways to purchase mining hardware - none of which are necessarily superior over the other.

• Some offer you the cheapest prices but, as a result, often require you to wait a little longer prior to receiving hardware (group buy, pre-order).
  • Some offer immediate shipping from just one source, often at an average to below average cost (In-Stock Exclusive Re-Seller) - this is because, being exclusive, the re-seller can afford to keep more stock on hand and sell at a lower price - stock will continue to move as there is no risk of being "undercut"
  • Some offer immediate shipping from several sources (your choice), often at a slightly higher price (In-Stock Non-exclusive Re-Seller) - this is because, being non-exclusive, re-sellers are discouraged from keeping stock on hand (fear of getting stuck with dead inventory due to competition) - less stock means they tend to charge more per unit in order to achieve set profit margins

I'm curious as to what the community as a whole values most - instant discount (group buy/preorder), instant shipping (Non-exclusive In-Stock Re-Seller), or a healthy mix of the two (Exclusive In-Stock Re-Seller)

firstbits: 1kosmo | PGP Public Key

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AFox

Activity: 539
Merit: 517

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 11:44:47 AM

The best would be to order from an exclusive re-seller that has the product in stock.
But in reality, you will only find pre-orders or group-buys linked to those pre-orders.

My lucky BTC address : 1LoTTerY3WYbGxVRHvh8oDudDdTxFvvqWF
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 11:57:50 AM
Last edit: June 25, 2013, 05:51:07 AM by af_newbie

In-Stock Re-Seller (exclusive) is not always cheaper than non-exclusive.

Exclusive resellers can try to lock/corner the market.  Might work for some, might backfire for others (who fail to understand how prices are discovered in the free market).

Any exclusive resellers outside of bitcoin usually have higher prices than a guy in a van down the river.

kosmokramer (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:00:29 PM

The best would be to order from an exclusive re-seller that has the product in stock.
But in reality, you will only find pre-orders or group-buys linked to those pre-orders.

Aha! Best for you may not be best for others. Some people want absolute cheapest no matter the wait!

I happen to agree with you though, which is why I'm requesting to be an ASICMiner reseller - I'd love to continue to offer low prices (set by manufacturer) and same-day shipping on large inventory without the fear of being undercut by someone else.

kosmokramer (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:08:01 PM

In-Stock Re-Seller (exclusive) is not always cheaper and non-exclusive.
Exclusive re-sellers can try to lock/corner the market.

I've learned there are always exceptions Wink I like the idea of a manufacturer choosing an exclusive re-seller who is trusted and liked by the community and portrays the manufacturer always in a favorable image. In addition, I share your concerns about cornering the market. For that reason, the performance of the relationship should be regularly re-examined to prevent such shenanigans.

Perhaps an outlet (forum) where customers can express feedback for the current exclusive re-seller(s) and point out ones who don't appear to be abiding by the terms and conditions set forth in the re-seller agreement? Ones who consistently don't make the cut are out!

I would love to be able to continue to offer low prices (set by manufacturer), fast shipping, and large inventory as an ASICMiner re-seller. I just wonder if these are the principles that others share - if so, I hope ASICMiner listens!

I wonder how the exclusive ASICM re-sellers are doing in Canada, etc. currently - I'm unaware of what their agreements are at the moment but I know of some line-items that I would insist on as an exclusive merchant (pricing protection, large inventory, good communication).

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:14:51 PM

I don't care about the purchase mechanism (except the pre-order full payment non-sense as I will likely never participate that way), what I care about is breaking even and then making a positive ROI.  It's about the numbers not who I pay for the product, for me.
kosmokramer (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:25:51 PM

It's about the numbers not who I pay for the product, for me.

Practically? Yes. In reality? The only thing that matters is who you give your money to. They decide when/if you are going to get the product you paid for and if the numbers they promised you in the first place are even true!

Anecdote: my brother and I both participated in separate (but pretty similar) block erupter USB group buys. Made payments at the same exact time (in fact, he paid a little more for his because he "felt" more comfortable with that buy). His took 3-4 weeks to arrive. Mine arrived in about 1-2 weeks. Why 2x as long for his? Turns out, his less-than-honest seller was mining with his product for two weeks :/ It was at that time that I decided carrying product in-stock was the way to go.

I've earned a lot of customers simply because word has spread that if I take your money, I'm going to ship your product that day. True, I can't compete with the group buy pricing (yet), but you also don't have to worry about your group buy package getting stuck in customs for two weeks with me! The price and time you see advertised is what you get - no surprises.

I do understand your point though  Wink

I think the fewer unknowns, the better, and the cheapest method with the fewest unknowns appears to be in-stock exclusive re-seller.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:45:04 PM

It all comes down to ROI.   I think this pole is for you to try to get exclusive rights, depending on what that means is what will determine if everyone wants it.  If you want to be the number 1 business selling these in US buy 1000 of the Block Erupter USB and sell at cheaper price.

Honestly i hope you can provide things like having stock, and knowing when it ships and provide us at cheapest price.  But unless your company has a substantial amount of capital I'm afraid its unpractical  to ask us to wait for you to grow to compete with group purchases.
kosmokramer (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 12:55:16 PM

I think this pole is for you to try to get exclusive rights

I would actually just love to see what everyone values. It appears it's leaning more towards group buys which is interesting and unexpected! If that's what the community desires, you've got some damn capable folks around here who are comfortable offering group buys and would no doubt continue to serve you well!

If you want to be the number 1 business selling these in US buy 1000 of the Block Erupter USB and sell at cheaper price.

Just as it's impractical for a company to ask its customers to "wait for them to grow", I'm not sure it's practical to require a company to hold onto $1.1 Million worth of inventory that, yesterday, was worth $2.2 Million just to have a shot at being a successful re-seller. That seems like gambling, not business, and I think we can both agree that when it comes to gambling, the house always wins  Wink

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 01:40:30 PM

I would actually just love to see what everyone values. It appears it's leaning more towards group buys which is interesting and unexpected! If that's what the community desires, you've got some damn capable folks around here who are comfortable offering group buys and would no doubt continue to serve you well!

Again it comes to ROI.  The community will care about lowest price (for the most part).  There will be a few exceptions just check Ebay and there are proof of this.

Just as it's impractical for a company to ask its customers to "wait for them to grow", I'm not sure it's practical to require a company to hold onto $1.1 Million worth of inventory that, yesterday, was worth $2.2 Million just to have a shot at being a successful re-seller. That seems like gambling, not business, and I think we can both agree that when it comes to gambling, the house always wins  Wink

Fact is not all businesses make it. Having a substantial amount of capital is important for most starting a business. A reseller that sells 1 item is especially at risk of losing money if their are changes to their product.  This includes new versions, and yes price cuts as you saw yesterday. 

Again i do HOPE you to succeed i personally would love to have a company with stock at price that meets group buy rates.  And even better if you get huge and are able to carry stock of all kinds of custom hardware a click away anytime.
atariguy

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:20:16 PM

All I want is a product that is in-stock when I order that will pay for itself within a couple weeks. Drop the USB miner price another 50% and it will still be a little over-priced compared to the cheapest BFL product, but it will at least pay for itself.

And I don't care who I get it from, as long as I actually get it within a few days of ordering.
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:14:48 PM

The best method, which was not listed, would be in stock directly from the manufacturer.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:46:03 PM

The best method, which was not listed, would be in stock directly from the manufacturer.
Yes, I think the poll is irrelevant since the above is the only way people with a brain will buy on an exponential HR chart.  Who would pre-pay when you cannot accurately predict delivery date?

mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:48:09 PM

Pre-order is the ONLY way you will ever make money back on mining.

If you wait long enough that you are buying from stock or from a reseller then you are too late!

Why would someone sell something that they could make more money with if they just kept the hardware for themselves??
kendog77

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 08:49:02 PM

This poll is biased.

In my experience, a non-exclusive In-Stock Re-Seller is almost always less expensive than an exclusive In-Stock Re-Seller due to increased competition.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 09:32:41 PM

This is odd as earlier when I cast my vote, no one had picked choice two;

In-stock re-seller (exclusive) - arrives in 1-2 days

Yet now it leads, when all the other choices appear to bounce around the same numbers as earlier, and the OP is trying to become an exclusive US re-seller for ASICminer.

Something seems off here, yes I'm being genuine. I think it's rigged. I know for a fact no one had picked choice two earlier as I made a mental note of the choice that remained unpicked.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195004.msg2569237#msg2569237

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
lithiumfinn

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:05:29 PM

This poll is biased.

In my experience, a non-exclusive In-Stock Re-Seller is almost always less expensive than an exclusive In-Stock Re-Seller due to increased competition.

Yeah, no kidding. It's also a bit odd to put the dollar signs next to each option. It nudges you towards that option because you'll think "Oh, this one is cheaper".
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:09:30 PM

How can exclusive be less expensive than non-exclusive. Without competition there is no competitive pricing.

Who here, reading this actually admits picking option two? Anyone??

ak49er

Activity: 672

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:40:44 PM

This poll is biased.

This.

I'm only interested in buying from an in-stock reseller, be they exclusive, non-exclusive or whatever.  (As long as they haven't just fallen off the back of a truck!)  The reseller that offers the best terms is the one that gets my business, (price+shipping cost+delivery options).

I think you're going down the wrong path with exclusive vs non-exclusive.  Stick to in stock with reliable supply options and you'll be OK.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:42:45 PM

This poll is biased.

This.

I'm only interested in buying from an in-stock reseller, be they exclusive, non-exclusive or whatever.  (As long as they haven't just fallen off the back of a truck!)  The reseller that offers the best terms is the one that gets my business, (price+shipping cost+delivery options).

Without competition there is no 'best terms', just; 'terms', like them, or not.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: