Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:52:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Win10 + 9+ Vega + AMD Compute Driver Success ??  (Read 715 times)
c0ld_snack (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 08:50:19 PM

Long time lurker, first time posting... Wealth of knowledge, THANK YOU to everybody here  Smiley

I'm curious if anybody has had any success running:

Windows 10 (v1703)
More than 8 AMD Vegas

I have 3 rigs of 8 Vegas running on the Aug23 Blockchains no problem, rock solid on ETH-only (~44Mh/s), ETH-dual (depends on secondary) and XMR (1960 Mh/s) to the maximum extent. With all units running below 160W for all 3 ops.

Until recently I was limited by my PSU to only 8 Vegas. Now looking to add a couple more GPUs to each rig now that the "masochism" is over.

So, my woe's:

a. With Aug23 Blockchain drivers installed, simply tried adding the 9th GPU. Upon restart, immediately ran into issues. Full DDU. Computer saw all 9 GPUs as generic (minor success!). Cleared out AMD folder, full reinstall of Aug23 Blockchain drivers. No dice. Same issues on restart.

b. Then tried the latest 17.11.2 drivers (with all 9 GPUs hooked up). Full DDU, install 17.11.2. Failed installation 2-3 times, no relevant error messages. Gave up on this round

c. Then tried 17.11.1 drivers (with all 9 GPUs hooked up). Full DDU, install 17.11.1, installation success but on multiple restarts, AMD Settings crashes immediately. Thought, that's fine, all I do in AMD Settings would be to change the driver to "Compute" anyhow. I can make a Regedit hack for that. So..

Thus I had 17.11.1 installed on Windows 10 v 1703, with all 9 GPUs recognized as Vega correctly --->> drivers successfully installed (but as described, I couldn't get AMD Settings to launch). So then I went to install the PowerPlayTable mod, and immediately upon restart, all the GPUs were no longer recognized (more accurately described: Driver Error).

Anybody finding success running 9+ GPUs on Windows10 (either 1703 or 1709)? If so, what drivers are you running and any special considerations?

Thanks guys, looking forward to being a contributing member here
Django69

Activity: 74

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 10:30:54 PM

not possible atm
deadsoulz

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 10:59:59 PM

Might work with Simpleminer.....not with windows.
ben8jam

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 11:20:28 PM

Long time lurker, first time posting... Wealth of knowledge, THANK YOU to everybody here  Smiley

Windows 10 (v1703)

I have 3 rigs of 8 Vegas running on the Aug23 Blockchains no problem, rock solid on ETH-only (~44Mh/s), ETH-dual (depends on secondary) and XMR (1960 Mh/s) to the maximum extent. With all units running below 160W for all 3 ops.

Wow, that's pretty good. Can to share any tips? I'll be starting a 4 vega build this weekend. I'm a little weary after reading about all the issues people have been having. First time building a Win10 rig, others are ubuntu.
nshyamkrishna

Activity: 72
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 11:47:45 PM

Windows 10 (v1703)
More than 8 AMD Vegas

Until recently I was limited by my PSU to only 8 Vegas. Now looking to add a couple more GPUs to each rig now that the "masochism" is over.

So, my woe's:

a. With Aug23 Blockchain drivers installed, simply tried adding the 9th GPU. Upon restart, immediately ran into issues. Full DDU. Computer saw all 9 GPUs as generic (minor success!). Cleared out AMD folder, full reinstall of Aug23 Blockchain drivers. No dice. Same issues on restart.

b. Then tried the latest 17.11.2 drivers (with all 9 GPUs hooked up). Full DDU, install 17.11.2. Failed installation 2-3 times, no relevant error messages. Gave up on this round

c. Then tried 17.11.1 drivers (with all 9 GPUs hooked up). Full DDU, install 17.11.1, installation success but on multiple restarts, AMD Settings crashes immediately. Thought, that's fine, all I do in AMD Settings would be to change the driver to "Compute" anyhow. I can make a Regedit hack for that. So..

Thus I had 17.11.1 installed on Windows 10 v 1703, with all 9 GPUs recognized as Vega correctly --->> drivers successfully installed (but as described, I couldn't get AMD Settings to launch). So then I went to install the PowerPlayTable mod, and immediately upon restart, all the GPUs were no longer recognized (more accurately described: Driver Error).

Anybody finding success running 9+ GPUs on Windows10 (either 1703 or 1709)? If so, what drivers are you running and any special considerations?

Try Windows 10 1709 + amd 17.11.2(compute) + No afterburner + fan, core and mem settings in claymore config.
c0ld_snack (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 02:26:27 AM

Windows 10 (v1703)
More than 8 AMD Vegas

So, my woe's:

Try Windows 10 1709 + amd 17.11.2(compute) + No afterburner + fan, core and mem settings in claymore config.

Thank you. I dread updating to 1709 (again) after I blindly installed and it fubar'd everything LOL. But that was the one variable I didn't try given that the new 17.11.2s are for 1709 technically. I'll give it a go and report back. Are you having success with this setup in particular?
c0ld_snack (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 02:37:42 AM

Windows 10 (v1703)

Wow, that's pretty good. Can to share any tips? I'll be starting a 4 vega build this weekend. I'm a little weary after reading about all the issues people have been having. First time building a Win10 rig, others are ubuntu.

Hmm, tips  Smiley I'm a treasure trove man if you want to PM me I'd be happy to give you some guidance on any particular problems you're having. That said, I've also read many people stating that the Vega series of AMD cards aren't for the "first timers" and I have to believe them. Looking back it's amazing the amount of problems I had getting everything situated... most of it directly attributable to the AMD drivers and working to make everything run as efficiently as possible.

I think the #1 recommendation would be: Keep it simple.

#1a Try to NEVER use WattMan or Afterburner. Stick to OverdriveNTool and registry mods. You'll never have to touch Wattman, and you can automate your undervolt/overclock via the CLI (OverdriveNTool). Actually, I feel like everybody needs to spend at least a week fuxing w/Wattman. Then you'll appreciate ONT and automation a whole hell lot more.

#2 Always make sure your system boots with NO DRIVERS installed. Eg, install all your hardware, make sure they initialize (for the Vegas a single red LED will glow on successful bios init, if not then something is wrong with hardware or bios config), and then when Windows kicks on, make sure Windows recognizes them all as the generic display adapters (Device Manager). Once you get this, THEN install your drivers. And install your drivers with all your hardware connected and enabled.

#3 Everything is a variable. Limit the variables and change things (overclocking/voltage/intensities/etc) incrementally so when shit hits the fan, you know what happened and you can intelligently back pedal. And take notes. I have 24 Vegas. 4 of them have been RMA'd. 1 DOA. 3 just were crap. Tracking those down and making special 'exceptions' for them is a PITA but possible. Just keep that in mind when things *should* be working but aren't

Hope it helps!
c0ld_snack (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 04:57:55 AM

Windows 10 (v1703)
More than 8 AMD Vegas

So, my woe's:

Gave it a go tonight, got everything up and running (1709 + 17.11.2) correctly. Found the following issues:

1. Apparently 17.11.2 down to 17.10.2 does NOT support Vega Compute Workload... no toggle and confirmed that it's not just "automatic" b/c my CryptoNight hashrates are down to ~1300 from high 1900s
2. Also 17.11.2 doesn't support the SoftPowerPlayTable mod anymore

Can anybody confirm these findings?
Morgon

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:58:28 PM

I wasn't sure if it was a potential change in the PPT format or if it just didn't like the values. But while the GPUs will not initialize with extreme PPT values, it will accept smaller tweaks. I didn't bother trying to find out the limits, as it was painful just getting that far.
Permonik

Activity: 275

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 10:24:35 PM

Windows 10 (v1703)
More than 8 AMD Vegas

So, my woe's:

Gave it a go tonight, got everything up and running (1709 + 17.11.2) correctly. Found the following issues:

1. Apparently 17.11.2 down to 17.10.2 does NOT support Vega Compute Workload... no toggle and confirmed that it's not just "automatic" b/c my CryptoNight hashrates are down to ~1300 from high 1900s

Can anybody confirm these findings?
Hi, I am received the answer from amd support, that there is no option for compute workloads, because the driver is already optimized for that.
Morgon

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 10:35:33 PM

Hi, I am received the answer from amd support, that there is no option for compute workloads, because the driver is already optimized for that.
And did you tell them they're completely full of crap? Apparently it is sufficiently optimized for Ethereum workloads, according to several comments on Reddit; however, the new drivers don't play as nicely with Cryptonight as the August driver.
Permonik

Activity: 275

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 06:27:14 AM

Yes, I did. No one answer.
c0ld_snack (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:49:53 PM

Yes it seems like it's flying under AMD's radar... along with many other issues LOL

Has anybody found success on Linux with the "pro" AMD drivers, specifically for Cryptonight?
Kalyst69

Activity: 147
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 12:47:32 AM

Has anybody found success on Linux with the "pro" AMD drivers, specifically for Cryptonight?

AMD has to provide OpenCL for that and all Linux distribution will support Vega.

Host your ASICs in Siberia for $0.07/KW all inclusive. Contact me for information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: