Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:51:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powered PCIE risers with capacitors  (Read 3302 times)
LordShanken (OP)

Activity: 1112
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:04:27 PM

Hello,

I currently use powered risers with capacitors for my mining rigs, but now I heard that those risers are a fire hazard. Is this true? If yes - how can I remove them? I didn't care about capacitors, I just bought powered risers and recognized later, that they were a little different.

I would be glad if someone can help me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 12:22:41 AM

Hello,

I currently use powered risers with capacitors for my mining rigs, but now I heard that those risers are a fire hazard. Is this true? If yes - how can I remove them? I didn't care about capacitors, I just bought powered risers and recognized later, that they were a little different.

Please supply a picture of one of the following:
  • Mother
  • Sister
  • Girlfriend

holding one of the risers

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 07:59:36 AM

Hello,

You just need to desolder the capacitor and replace with wire.
lbr

Activity: 423
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:58:50 PM

If riser is done 'good' there is no reason it will cause fire.
And capacitor might be a good idea - it will smoothen voltage fluctuations, assuming it is on the 12v line.

BTC: 18ozhbkfHneX8tnPgHJuTizyBmspM5Vgpa  LTC: LgVc7KdedPGZyDXHXEH9G7z6AoTmTvDdWb
cgminer 2.11.13 x64 portable for Mac OS X 10.6.8
6+ GPUs driver mod for Windows
Felipeo

Activity: 476
Merit: 262

EOSABC

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:59:54 PM

Hello,

You just need to desolder the capacitor and replace with wire.

Or you can buy new one and be total secure: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281125631820  Grin

◆Telegram  ♠️ ♣️ ♥️ ♦️    www.eosabc.io   ♦️ ♣️ ♥️ ♠️  ◆Whitepaper
♠️   EOSABC redefine games with blockchain   ♠️
♥️  Win EOS on eosabc.io Everyday    ♥️
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 12:12:58 AM

And capacitor might be a good idea - it will smoothen voltage fluctuations, assuming it is on the 12v line.

Fail..........

There is this myth that slapping loads of  uf about has to be good, because its like magic and can store power......,
In reality it is only 'good' if it is part of a deeper understanding of EXACTLY WHAT a capacitor does and WHY it is there.

An example.....

I had a 'friend'  nosing at one of my rig power supplies,  his analysis was I had  useless capacitors, " no need to have .1uF capacitors across electrolytics, becasue 300uF is far bigger for storing power that it 'swamps' the .1uf (yep.. ok , if I need any finger painting done.. I know who to call)

Considering a Video card can pull several tens of Amps during a peak, all a shitty little ill placed capacitor on the wires is going to do  is become a potential source for power-supply ringing.....(amazing fact no 1..... a capacitor acts as SHORT until it is charged up..... the inrush is limited only by the resistance of the connections....)

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
lbr

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:36:40 AM
Last edit: June 27, 2013, 02:52:08 AM by lbr

Fail..........

There is this myth that slapping loads of  uf about has to be good, because its like magic and can store power......,
In reality it is only 'good' if it is part of a deeper understanding of EXACTLY WHAT a capacitor does and WHY it is there.

An example.....

I had a 'friend'  nosing at one of my rig power supplies,  his analysis was I had  useless capacitors, " no need to have .1uF capacitors across electrolytics, becasue 300uF is far bigger for storing power that it 'swamps' the .1uf (yep.. ok , if I need any finger painting done.. I know who to call)

Considering a Video card can pull several tens of Amps during a peak, all a shitty little ill placed capacitor on the wires is going to do  is become a potential source for power-supply ringing.....(amazing fact no 1..... a capacitor acts as SHORT until it is charged up..... the inrush is limited only by the resistance of the connections....)

Shunting 'big' capacitors with small 'fast' ones is a common practice usually they use ceramicfilm ones to shunt eletrcolytes.
However in terms of capacitance ur friend was right ; )

And video card does NOT pull "several tens of Amps during a peak" from the motherboard.
Please read at least wiki ; )

BTC: 18ozhbkfHneX8tnPgHJuTizyBmspM5Vgpa  LTC: LgVc7KdedPGZyDXHXEH9G7z6AoTmTvDdWb
lbr

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:50:26 AM

+ I would not call Sanyo OS-CON "shitty little capacitor" )
Of course they are not suitable for power lines on tube amps, but nevertheless))

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: