Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:44:00 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bank Wire Cost  (Read 965 times)
Kazu (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:12:45 PM

Wow! I have just realized how large these fees are!

Essentially it costs $45 in JUST bank wire fees in order to deposit money to Bitstamp from my US bank account.

~.~

In any case, does anybody know the fees in the reverse direction? If I ask mt. gox to send me a bank wire for $1000, can anybody give me a rough estimate of how many USD I will actually receive?

Thanks.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
jbis1

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 11:03:49 PM

I don't know whether or not Mt. Gox charges you. Sometimes companies charge you to cover the fee to send a wire transfer.

Banks usually let you receive domestic wires for free. You should check with your bank to know what fees your bank charge.

So, it will cost whatever Mt. Gox charges you, plus whatever your bank charges you to receive.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 11:56:23 PM

In any case, does anybody know the fees in the reverse direction? If I ask mt. gox to send me a bank wire for $1000, can anybody give me a rough estimate of how many USD I will actually receive?

It depends a little on the fiat exchange rate. The fees average roughly $31 for me.

Buy & Hold
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 01:45:46 AM

Also if there are intermediary banks along the way that take a cut...

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
inbox

Activity: 179

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:11:01 AM

Thanks.

~$950
SGExodus

Activity: 232

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:51:24 AM

Wow! I have just realized how large these fees are!

Essentially it costs $45 in JUST bank wire fees in order to deposit money to Bitstamp from my US bank account.

~.~

Thanks.

MTGOX charges 2000 yen or roughly USD$20 for sending.

Then your bank will charge a fee for receiving as well.   Should roughly you should get back around $950-$960.
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 07:15:05 AM

That's not what Bitstamp told me.  I was told by Bitstamp support that the wire transfer would cost $15.  I ended up using Coinbase to buy bitcoins instead because their 1% fee ends up being a fair bit cheaper to buy bitcoins than Bitstamp. 

...Or at least, so I thought.  There's enough of a price difference between Bitstamp and Coinbase that it CAN be cheaper to buy bitcoins with Bistamp, but not if you use the wire transfer method.

You can buy bitcoins from Bitstamp for effectively a 1.5% fee if you're willing to use Ripple, this eliminates the need for a wire transfer.  However, there are so many steps to jump through to do this that it's just easier to buy them on another exchange if you don't live in Europe. 

Steps to do this, in case anyone wants to:

1) Get a Bitstamp account
2) Get a Ripple account.
3) Use SnapSwap to transfer money into Ripple.
3) Use Ripple to fund your Bitstamp account.
4) Buy bitcoins.

It's complicated enough that you're probably better off just using either a different exchange, or Coinbase.  Coinbase is the easiest method of buying bitcoins in the US, but it's definitely not the cheapest. 

It looks like CampBX can be funded without wire transfer fees however, if you're wanting an alternative exchange to use that doesn't have this issue.  They use Dwolla primarily.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 07:39:06 AM

Thanks.

~$950

$50 charge? really? I think it depends on which US bank is in use.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: