Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:06:30 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt fills entire disk  (Read 2286 times)
rarefied (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:56:57 PM

Bitcoin-Qt: 0.8.2
Disk: Samsung 830 series 250 GB SSD

Occasionally Bitcoin-Qt will pop up a "low disk space" error message and then close after I click OK.  While the message is being displayed other programs, including Google Drive and Windows Explorer, are also reporting low disk space.  As soon as I click OK the disk space on the Bitcoin data directory disk goes back to normal showing over 100 GB free.  So it appears that something is causing Bitcoin-Qt to fill up my disk, but that these files are temporary in nature as they are apparently deleted when the client exits.  It is apparently not a virtual memory issue either as I have the page file size set to a maximum of 1 GB.

I have not seen this behavior with bitcoind 0.8.2 on another machine that runs Linux.  Has anyone else experienced this?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 01:45:27 AM

I have not seen this behavior with bitcoind 0.8.2 on another machine that runs Linux.  Has anyone else experienced this?
I was not able to replicate with a VMWare machine (40 GB storage). Does the problem only occur with the SSD, or does it happen on other drives as well? Try using "-datadir=D:\bitcointemp" command line option to set the data directory to another drive.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:41:21 AM

I was not able to replicate with a VMWare machine (40 GB storage). Does the problem only occur with the SSD, or does it happen on other drives as well? Try using "-datadir=D:\bitcointemp" command line option to set the data directory to another drive.
*grins* I hope I am not revealing your prank, but you'll scare the shit out of him when he notices that his wallet is empty when he points to a new (and initially empty) data directory !

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 02:07:50 PM

*grins* I hope I am not revealing your prank, but you'll scare the shit out of him when he notices that his wallet is empty when he points to a new (and initially empty) data directory !
It wasn't meant to be a prank. Undecided

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
rarefied (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 04:09:46 PM

I will try this but unfortunately the problem does not occur consistently.  I've seen it twice in two weeks but never before then.  Am still hoping that someone else has seen it!

Hehe that's a good one.  Despite my Jr. Member status I've been around Bitcoin since early 2011 so I'd have not freaked out Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: