Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:51:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP DASH MINING  (Read 1141 times)
bitcoinfuck (OP)

Activity: 634
Merit: 106

Europe Belongs To Christians

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 05:36:24 PM

well here you go, lots of people saw this coming, tried to sell there dash miners for cost.

me friend recently got 30 Antminer d3, i guess he is gonna weep for his life

but i see there are lots of x11 coming

[/url]
puffdaddy150878

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 06:37:29 PM

which x11 coins are coming next?
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 06:50:39 PM

Any new coin will get instantly destroyed.
bitcoinfuck (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:04:07 PM

Any new coin will get instantly destroyed.

exactly the thing

[/url]
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 04:31:07 PM

No need to panic. Price will sort this out. I think Dash could go up to 1k dollars. Just keep mining. Watch the GPU sector, no matter how many GPUs that is on the market, its always worth mining. So relax boys.
mettalmag
Legendary

Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003

≡v≡

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:39:57 PM

No need to panic. Price will sort this out. I think Dash could go up to 1k dollars. Just keep mining. Watch the GPU sector, no matter how many GPUs that is on the market, its always worth mining. So relax boys.
price will balance, mining will still be profitable, I agree on this, I just don't like the fact that people are buying hardware and not thinking of what can happen, and this is not rocket science, even my grandma knew that dash mining at that price wouldn't be profitable for a long term, that huge jump in ASIC speed? huh
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:17:47 PM

Dash can go up to $1000 and you will still make less than $10 a day with a dash miner vs everything else.

This whole D3 fiasco should be a learning experience for people. When a coin is transitioning from GPU to ASIC, you cant calaculate the ASIC profit based on the GPU difficulty.....

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 05:19:44 PM

i just bought 2 brand new D3 from a local dude for 600$ each.  He knew he was fucked so took 1/2 of his investment and called it a day. 

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
GeePeeU

Activity: 538
Merit: 251

ASK

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:05:25 PM

So glad I didn't snag any. I spent awhile contemplating it.
Going to be interesting to see X11 coins difficulties jump.

Always doubt.
bitcoinfuck (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 10:50:51 AM

So glad I didn't snag any. I spent awhile contemplating it.
Going to be interesting to see X11 coins difficulties jump.

yup i am using my dash miners to warm up my room. nothing else

[/url]
smartcrypto

Activity: 317
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 11:55:21 AM

it's a good lesson. Don't rush into the mining with ASIC. They are usually not worth it. Ever. *cough* butterfly labs *cough*
bitcoinfuck (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 01:13:08 PM

it's a good lesson. Don't rush into the mining with ASIC. They are usually not worth it. Ever. *cough* butterfly labs *cough*

butterfly labs  lol scasm

[/url]
serhanni

Activity: 686
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 01:30:23 PM

Asics are killing the every algorithm / coins they touched as possible as fast.
vuli1

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2018, 05:10:12 PM

keep buying asics, monkeys.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
CucakRowo

Activity: 994
Merit: 593

aka JAGEND.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2018, 01:17:01 PM

yup i am using my dash miners to warm up my room. nothing else

So, atm you are doing "Warm Coins" mining?
Lol

Xazax310

Activity: 246
Merit: 24

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 01:27:15 PM

Zcash is next.
lutineur

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 01:52:24 PM

Zcash is next.
I do concur
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 04:21:47 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2018, 04:40:14 PM by grendel25

Okay, so it doesn't take long from reading posts like this to discern an obvious sentiment that I see from a lot of miners.  Considering the mining world and comparisons of CPU/GPU, ASIC, FPGA... Of course, CPU/GPU comes first from the energetic people developing the technology in the first place.  This is where we started: CPU/GPU.  

So then, what credibility do coins being released on algorithms such as X11 have as a starting point?  Okay, not everything is judged from the algorithm a coin chooses.  For example, coins like Polis and many others have viable business assets being developed and already in place which gives them value so the algorithm is less important.  However, mining them still is.  And what happens when no one mines it anymore because people stop making X11 miners and the existing miners breakdown after aging for too long?

The next 10 years will be very interesting and it will be interesting to see what major algorithm forks we see from coins who are serious about longevity.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 04:39:56 PM

Okay, so it doesn't take long from reading posts like this to discern an obvious sentiment that I see from a lot of miners.  Considering the mining world and comparisons of CPU/GPU, ASIC, FPGA... Of course, CPU/GPU comes first from the energetic people developing the technology in the first place.  This is where we started: CPU/GPU. 

So then, what credibility do coins being released on algorithms such as X11 as a starting point?  Okay, not everything is judged from the algorithm a coin chooses.  For example, coins like Polis and many others have viable business assets being developed and already in place which gives them value so the algorithm is less important.  However, mining them still is.  And what happens when no one mines it anymore because people stop making X11 miners and the existing miners breakdown after aging for too long?

The next 10 years will be very interesting and it will be interesting to see what major algorithm forks we see from coins who are serious about longevity.

ASICs are really only disruptive when the mining machine hashrate is very large relative to the overall network hashrate.  If you look at something like the S9, when it was first released it was a very small spec of hashrate compared to the whole network.  So it took a very large number of S9s to begin to have a noticeable effect on the overall profitability of BTC mining.  X11 and Equihash and Ethash do not have several generations of ASICs in their history.  When the limiting factor on the mining machine becomes the die size of the chips as it has with BTC ASICs, and the speed of the machines relative to the overall network hashrate is small, then ASICs will be far less disruptive.

At this point, it appears that cryptonight V7 ASICs probably already exist, a mere two months after the network forked to get rid of ASICs.  With this in mind, it seems like the smarter move would be for coins to either stay on algorithms that have widespread ASICs or move to them.  The BTC network is pretty well secured in terms of hashrate distribution despite the massive advantage that bitmain and antpool have there.  Other algorithms will look more like that when successive generations of miners are built for them.

I think the only 100% effective way to escape ASICs is going to be to go full POS.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 04:59:30 PM

Okay, so it doesn't take long from reading posts like this to discern an obvious sentiment that I see from a lot of miners.  Considering the mining world and comparisons of CPU/GPU, ASIC, FPGA... Of course, CPU/GPU comes first from the energetic people developing the technology in the first place.  This is where we started: CPU/GPU.  

So then, what credibility do coins being released on algorithms such as X11 as a starting point?  Okay, not everything is judged from the algorithm a coin chooses.  For example, coins like Polis and many others have viable business assets being developed and already in place which gives them value so the algorithm is less important.  However, mining them still is.  And what happens when no one mines it anymore because people stop making X11 miners and the existing miners breakdown after aging for too long?

ASICs are really only disruptive when the mining machine hashrate is very large relative to the overall network hashrate.  If you look at something like the S9, when it was first released it was a very small spec of hashrate compared to the whole network.  So it took a very large number of S9s to begin to have a noticeable effect on the overall profitability of BTC mining.  X11 and Equihash and Ethash do not have several generations of ASICs in their history.  When the limiting factor on the mining machine becomes the die size of the chips as it has with BTC ASICs, and the speed of the machines relative to the overall network hashrate is small, then ASICs will be far less disruptive.

At this point, it appears that cryptonight V7 ASICs probably already exist, a mere two months after the network forked to get rid of ASICs.  With this in mind, it seems like the smarter move would be for coins to either stay on algorithms that have widespread ASICs or move to them.  The BTC network is pretty well secured in terms of hashrate distribution despite the massive advantage that bitmain and antpool have there.  Other algorithms will look more like that when successive generations of miners are built for them.

I think the only 100% effective way to escape ASICs is going to be to go full POS.

Of course, going full POS would escape any and all POW rather it be ASIC/GPU/CPU/FPGA.  It would also create a situation where crypto currencies are no longer special in the sense that they would be attainable through some means other than purchasing them on some exchange rather that be coinbase or some discord chat room.  lol... there definitely isn't enough negative sentiment against ASIC or any POW to make that happen.  

But what I think is more interesting is to see how the lifecycle of bitcoin and litecoin will play out and what lessons may be learned by developers going forward.  Now... "lifecycle" is very important as a concept to consider in this whole equation.  Sure, bitcoin has a lot of support and infrastructure but other coins are emerging with completely different offerings.  Smart contracts through ethereum has far more staying power than what bitcoin has right now.  Major businesses have been spawned through ethereum in the past year.  So again... think of the long-term bigger picture... the lifecycle that is to be played out and how that will guide future decisions and developments of new coins.

Any review/opinions I've seen for new coins that are on ASIC platforms are instantly 'thumbs-downed' while X16S and X16R are praised (Xevan was too until some recent flaws were found... it's still good but takes some tweaking to dodge ASICs).  Okay, so already, we see the immediate demands from GPU/CPU miners demanding ASIC resistant coins and algo/coin developers know this and realize the importance.

So as bitcoin becomes less dominant in say 10+ years (maybe sooner depending on cryptocurrency adoption) this culture of ASIC will be fought against.  

idk though... we've seen how ancient GPUs like the 7950 are still useful and people seem to always find a way to integrate old tech.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see some odd implementation where ASICs that were thought dead all of a sudden are useful again.  But for the most part I think we'll see emergence of radically improved ASIC resistant algorithms.

ASIC resistance ties into the lifecycle discussion.  The very term "ASIC resistance" was derived of the lifecycle process and further evidence of "why" it is important.  If crypto is to continue to grow it is the genesis "why" that will enable this and that means a ubiquitous mining capability that is NOT ASIC.  

sorry... sort of all over the place but it is a very important and interesting discussion with some moving parts... I know the market is currently ASIC dominated (bitcoin) but I also believe that the long term lifecycle will result in going back to GPU/CPU mining availability based on community interest and community demand.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀