Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:15:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SENDING 0ETH TO A CONTRACT ADDRESS FOR AIRDROP  (Read 462 times)
lamby (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 10:25:17 PM

I have come across a few airdrop forms asking you to send 0eth to a contract to receive coins.

My question is
If this is a kind of scam.
What are the implications of sending the zero eth to the contract address.

Will be very grateful if someone here can do well to enlighten me

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VarDiff

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 10:32:40 PM

Not a scam, as I understand it

This is necessary in order to complete a smart contract.
You send 0 ETH (but still paying gas for this transaction) and receive some tokens to your wallet.

It works in same way as during ICO, but on ICO you need to pay more than 0 ETH usually, and for airdrop amount just set to zero.

P.S. I'm not a smart contract programmer, correct me if I'm wrong
asayoyaasa
Copper Member

Activity: 648
Merit: 159

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 10:33:25 PM

hi there, actualy i follow that kind of airdrop one (bitcoinquick). no its not scam you just need to pay the fee (just cost me 0.07 usd) and that meta data when you submit the transaction is the most important thing too do. im not quite understand how the sistem work cause im not eth dev but maybe that for prevent abuse from fake account and else who want to join the airdrop

This is my main account. My alt account for bounty report in the future >> asa crypto info
lamby (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:16:53 PM

Not a scam, as I understand it

This is necessary in order to complete a smart contract.
You send 0 ETH (but still paying gas for this transaction) and receive some tokens to your wallet.

It works in same way as during ICO, but on ICO you need to pay more than 0 ETH usually, and for airdrop amount just set to zero.

P.S. I'm not a smart contract programmer, correct me if I'm wrong

Good to know.
I was wondering if such a case will not end up in my own coins or eth disappearing from my account.
lamby (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:19:19 PM

hi there, actualy i follow that kind of airdrop one (bitcoinquick). no its not scam you just need to pay the fee (just cost me 0.07 usd) and that meta data when you submit the transaction is the most important thing too do. im not quite understand how the sistem work cause im not eth dev but maybe that for prevent abuse from fake account and else who want to join the airdrop

I saw the bitcoinquick airdrop too. But I was a little septic al so I let it go.

There were about two other airdrops too
Celebrity

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:20:30 PM

I have come across a few airdrop forms asking you to send 0eth to a contract to receive coins.

My question is

They can't scam you by getting the Ethereums in your sender wallet, if you mean this kind of thing. They do this to see if you're the one deserving that airdrop. But, I'm not saying they're not a scam thing. What I'm saying they can't scam you with this method.
carriebee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:25:17 PM

My question is

They can't scam you by getting the Ethereums in your sender wallet, if you mean this kind of thing. They do this to see if you're the one deserving that airdrop. But, I'm not saying they're not a scam thing. What I'm saying they can't scam you with this method.
Yes those participants who send 0eth definitely will not get scam by following instructions. But it will less your eth, when you send 0 eth it will automatic send the token. But ofcourse in every airdrop we need to be careful in order to not get hacked.
aanbudi

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:37:42 PM

I just found out the scheme. To my knowledge, there is no problem if we just send 0 eth. Maybe it's just a verification requirement to get you qualified for the person receiving the Airdrop. And also to avoid multiple accounts for Airdrop to run fair. Of course, it's not scam Smiley
asayoyaasa
Copper Member

Activity: 648
Merit: 159

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 12:09:22 AM

Yes those participants who send 0eth definitely will not get scam by following instructions. But it will less your eth, when you send 0 eth it will automatic send the token. But ofcourse in every airdrop we need to be careful in order to not get hacked.
yeah you dont want take a risk lose all your asset to get few dollars right xD better carefull than regret it later. stay safe  Wink

This is my main account. My alt account for bounty report in the future >> asa crypto info
mhine07

Activity: 560
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 12:15:40 AM

My question is

it is possible to he a scam , why would anyone send eth to a contract , which is an airdrop. Airdrop meant to be a free , as you send an etherium to it , it wouldn't be an airdrop anymore , because you just pay what will they honna give you in return.

hieu81

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 12:43:00 AM

My question is

I do not think so, They want to check the account to avoid a user multiple accounts, and Coin has grown or not depends on the developer and the interest of the community.
lamby (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:21:03 AM

My question is

Thank you.
Hacked should have been the word to use rather than scammed.
No one knows how the contract was written. There is the small chance it's all meant to have your account hacked.
lamby (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:24:45 AM

yeah you dont want take a risk lose all your asset to get few dollars right xD better carefull than regret it later. stay safe  Wink

That's the point. Why should I risk all my assets because I want to earn some few Xtra coins which maybe completely worthless in the first place
kqyyzmlc

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:34:39 AM

That's the point. Why should I risk all my assets because I want to earn some few Xtra coins which maybe completely worthless in the first place
Well, it is a very unprovoked airdrop and has the potential to expose personal privacy and security issues. I think the drop should be fair, not to say that setting some bizarre conditions does not seem plausible.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:43:44 AM

By sending 0 eth, it does not have access to your account. There is no program that can access to your account unless they have the seed words, which in turn the legit program that you are using to send transaction should not give. There are a few ico doing this and one of the most successful and popular ICO is blockmason. The reason for this act is very simple, you create a transaction that has a link from your eth address to the smart contract address, this will invoke a certain function in the smart contract to register your eth in their database. If we are talking about airdrop program, there will be another function in the smart contract to distribute the tokens to the registered database in the smart contract.
jackolinyoko

Activity: 204
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:47:08 AM

Sending Eth to an aidrop is a risky move,but if you trust the aidrop you are joining then go for it.

cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 06:52:08 AM

A few months back a hacker was able to exploit the etherDelta exchange (it's a decentralized exchange which operates via eth contract calls).  They used the etherDelta contracts themselves to run the code in their black hat contract. The etherDelta contracts interacted with the black hat contracts which then transferred private key information from the client's wallets thru their browsers and back to the black hat files.

In other words, be careful interacting with ethereum contracts ---> read the code before you interact with the contract.  If the code looks peculiar ---> ask questions before you interact with it. Remember, ethereum is a turing complete platform and we are still in a relatively new and under explored realm.  Careful!
lamby (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:00:35 AM

A few months back a hacker was able to exploit the etherDelta exchange (it's a decentralized exchange which operates via eth contract calls).  They used the etherDelta contracts themselves to run the code in their black hat contract. The etherDelta contracts interacted with the black hat contracts which then transferred private key information from the client's wallets thru their browsers and back to the black hat files.

In other words, be careful interacting with ethereum contracts ---> read the code before you interact with the contract.  If the code looks peculiar ---> ask questions before you interact with it. Remember, ethereum is a turing complete platform and we are still in a relatively new and under explored realm.  Careful!

Thanks. My thoughts exactly. Ethereum is completely new and unexplored realm. That's why I am afraid someone would have found a way to exploit a loophole.

I remember an ico that failed to reach the hardcap and we were asked to send 0 eth to the contract address to retrieve our investment.
Hence my fear that I send 0 eth and my assets find their way out
styca

Activity: 1078
Merit: 354

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:28:55 AM

You are absolutely doing the right thing by asking the question. Whenever you join an airdrop, download a wallet etc... in short whenever you interact with something new, it is always important to determine whether it is safe, and how you could possibly make yourself vulnerable. Eth and crypto in general are still very young and by no means fully explored. Always be vigilant!
lamby (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 04:30:31 PM

You are absolutely doing the right thing by asking the question. Whenever you join an airdrop, download a wallet etc... in short whenever you interact with something new, it is always important to determine whether it is safe, and how you could possibly make yourself vulnerable. Eth and crypto in general are still very young and by no means fully explored. Always be vigilant!

Thank you very much. Nice advise to get a new wallet for such transactions. Problem though is that they ask for aboutique 5 or more minimum previous transactions on the wallet to qualify for such airdrops.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: