Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:37:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a Full Node, daemon comparison and SegWit  (Read 210 times)
dlystyr (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 7

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 10:43:27 PM

I have been running a node for roughly a year now using the bitcoin core software. Due to other happening its time my server was rebuilt. I am wanting to support SegWit transactions as personally I believe it will help the bitcoin protocol. During reading about segwit I had also noticed some other nodes that I could run to help support the network.

A few nodes that caught my eye were bcoin and bitcore. Mainly due to the fact they are node.js which is a language I like to play around a bit with myself. Other than that are there any significant differences? My main criteria is to support segwit, can I do this as usual with bitcoin core or would I need to change some bitcoin core settings or will it just be a standard upgrade?

Thanks You

Crack Puzzle #66 Pool - http://www.ttdsales.com/66bit/index.php
BlueSword

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:48:30 PM

Bitcoin Core has supported SegWit since version 0.13.1.
dlystyr (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 08:29:18 PM

Bitcoin Core has supported SegWit since version 0.13.1.

Yeah, But I was wondering if there is anything in particular I have to do to enable?

illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:46:19 PM

A few nodes that caught my eye were bcoin and bitcore. Mainly due to the fact they are node.js which is a language I like to play around a bit with myself. Other than that are there any significant differences? My main criteria is to support segwit, can I do this as usual with bitcoin core or would I need to change some bitcoin core settings or will it just be a standard upgrade?

Thanks You

There's a couple things you should consider before depending on these implementations. Bitcoin is extremely consensus-critical, so using a client written in a different language than the reference implementation carries inherent risks. There likely exist edge cases which simply have not been seen in the wild yet with regard to bcoin which could end up costing you bitcoins.

There are also political considerations. Bcoin entered into a multi-million dollar agreement with Bitmain, Bitcoin.com and others earlier this year. Bitcore is developed by BitPay, and their actions around the Segwit2x hard fork were less than honorable. I would not trust either implementation to leave me on the correct chain by default in a contentious hard fork. So if you use these implementations, be very aware of current events re: forking and do not rely on default settings.
dlystyr (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 10:34:37 PM

Thanks You

There's a couple things you should consider before depending on these implementations. Bitcoin is extremely consensus-critical, so using a client written in a different language than the reference implementation carries inherent risks. There likely exist edge cases which simply have not been seen in the wild yet with regard to bcoin which could end up costing you bitcoins.

There are also political considerations. Bcoin entered into a multi-million dollar agreement with Bitmain, Bitcoin.com and others earlier this year. Bitcore is developed by BitPay, and their actions around the Segwit2x hard fork were less than honorable. I would not trust either implementation to leave me on the correct chain by default in a contentious hard fork. So if you use these implementations, be very aware of current events re: forking and do not rely on default settings.

Hi illinest, Thank you for your substantial answer.

My decision favours on the side of bitcoin core, I will rebuild with this as I have no reason to change.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: