Bitcoin Forum
July 12, 2024, 12:50:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on Ubuntu 17.10  (Read 399 times)
MogulTentos (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 01:00:54 AM

Hello,
I'm considering upgrade to Ubuntu 17.10. But there seems to be no possibility of mining cryptos. Support from AMD is really desperate. The latest drivers are released for a two year old system. Or am i wrong ? Is there any solution, except I will not upgrade the system?
civilufo

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:58:33 AM

Hello,
I'm considering upgrade to Ubuntu 17.10. But there seems to be no possibility of mining cryptos. Support from AMD is really desperate. The latest drivers are released for a two year old system. Or am i wrong ? Is there any solution, except I will not upgrade the system?

I am using Ubuntu 16, never heard of Ubuntu 17 will have any better hashrate, so there is no point to upgrade

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:09:44 PM

I've never seen a point (yet) to upgrading from XUbuntu 14.04 for mining rigs.

If AMD ever gets their PRO drivers working with VEGA, that *might* change - but that looks like it's going to be months away at best, and possibly years, that whole revamp they did on their LINUX drivers after 15.12 has been nothing but nightmare.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:45:51 PM

So how big is the difference between win10 vs Ubuntu 16 in hashrate?

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 11:35:55 PM

any...

This is my signature...
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 11:40:56 PM

So how big is the difference between win10 vs Ubuntu 16 in hashrate?

It depends.

For MOST coins, Linux will give a hair higher hashrates if you can optimise the cards to the same point.

However, sometimes the ability to UNDERVOLT directly in Windows will give it some advantage on efficiency vs LINUX as LINUX doesn't support undervolting at this point (except via BIOS mods on the card itself).

For Monero, due to lack of a WORKING Vega driver, you don't even have the OPTION to mine with Vega under LINUX.

LINUX is also a LOT more stable than any Win 10 system I have EVER worked with or seen - it's also more stable than any Win 7 system I've worked with or seen, but that is closer (IMO Win 10 is about 2 years away AT LEAST from achieving tolerable stability for a workstation, it's JUNK right now).

The only reason to even CONSIDER Win 10 is for that AMD "blockchain driver" which flat out does not WORK under Win 7 in every attempt I've made on it *AND* if you have a Vega card.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: