Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:31:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin trapped in wallet as Bitstamp changed my receiving address!  (Read 391 times)
Gooch301104 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 01:26:21 AM

I’m hoping someone can help with this issue, as I believe I have been robbed by bitstamp!
I sent 1 bitcoin some time ago to my receiving address at bitstamp, I was then informed that they had cancelled old addresses and that they would not honour my 1 bitcoin, how can this be?
Please see the reply email I received from them.
I would be most grateful with any help regarding getting my coin back, I don’t believe that they can’t do anything!
Email from bitstamp:

As already mentioned, our old private key has been cancelled due to security reasons and new addresses issued on our users' accounts. Unfortunately old deposit addresses are no longer linked to Bitstamp accounts.

We are unfortunately unable to honor or credit any bitcoins sent to old deposit addresses after 5th of January 2015 (9 a.m. UTC). We notified customers that they should stop making deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. We published a public notification on our website, Facebook page, Twitter feed and also sent personal email notifications to our users' addressesP
[YAZ]

Activity: 208
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 04:31:37 AM

We are unfortunately unable to honor or credit any bitcoins sent to old deposit addresses after 5th of January 2015 (9 a.m. UTC). We notified customers that they should stop making deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. We published a public notification on our website, Facebook page, Twitter feed and also sent personal email notifications to our users' addresses

I am not bitstamp user, but if they really published a public notification on their website, Facebook page, Twitter feed and also sent a personal email. that's your fault.

Gooch301104 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:36:37 AM

I’m fully aware that they informed there customers, but not everyone has twitter or Facebook , an email may have been sent to me but it was sent to my junk mail, my issue is not that they did not inform everyone, it’s more to do with,  principal, am I supposed to believe that they have no access to the old addresses? How can the system be so weak? Say you had a large amount of money in there £100,000 or millions, are you gonna take it lying down? I’m not asking for help on the forum in order to see who was at fault, I need help to retrieve my funds, as this shows how weak the protection of funds really is.
If you have technical knowledge that can retrieve my funds I would appreciate any help.
Gooch
Bitophile

Activity: 62

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:33:39 PM

I’m fully aware that they informed there customers, but not everyone has twitter or Facebook , an email may have been sent to me but it was sent to my junk mail, my issue is not that they did not inform everyone, it’s more to do with,  principal, am I supposed to believe that they have no access to the old addresses? How can the system be so weak? Say you had a large amount of money in there £100,000 or millions, are you gonna take it lying down? I’m not asking for help on the forum in order to see who was at fault, I need help to retrieve my funds, as this shows how weak the protection of funds really is.
If you have technical knowledge that can retrieve my funds I would appreciate any help.
Gooch

Try to get the private key of your receiving address from bitstamp. I assume that they would maintain their old database a little longer even if they don't use it. If they do, you can sweep that address. If they don't, I am afraid you can't recover your coin(s). You can't find a lost private key yourself, if it were possible, you can take coins from any address you wish.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:47:07 AM

I’m hoping someone can help with this issue, as I believe I have been robbed by bitstamp!
I sent 1 bitcoin some time ago to my receiving address at bitstamp, I was then informed that they had cancelled old addresses and that they would not honour my 1 bitcoin, how can this be?
Please see the reply email I received from them.
I would be most grateful with any help regarding getting my coin back, I don’t believe that they can’t do anything!
Email from bitstamp:

As already mentioned, our old private key has been cancelled due to security reasons and new addresses issued on our users' accounts. Unfortunately old deposit addresses are no longer linked to Bitstamp accounts.

We are unfortunately unable to honor or credit any bitcoins sent to old deposit addresses after 5th of January 2015 (9 a.m. UTC). We notified customers that they should stop making deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. We published a public notification on our website, Facebook page, Twitter feed and also sent personal email notifications to our users' addressesP

I think that is total bullshit, first of all.

It might be true that they can't get to that address, but it also may be that they can and don't care about your plight. Or they can and already have. Fourth, it could be that the keys in question were compromised and someone else has those coins already.

This is a glaring example of why you need wallets which allow you to have your own private keys, with no intermediary between you and that key.
Gooch301104 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 10:05:47 PM

Thank you so much for your input, I will try to contact bitstamp again, I’m pretty sure
They will say they can’t do anything, how am I to know they haven’t taken the 1 btc and cashed it?
After all it’s worth over £6000! As of today, and I guarantee I’m not the only one who has this problem.
Is there any way to check on the ledger if bitstamp have cashed it?
Sorry if I appear a complete novice.
Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Gooch301104 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 10:40:37 PM

I’ve done some digging and found this, it contradicts what bitstamp
Have said regarding not honouring any coins sent to old addresses.
What do you think regarding this?

This was taken from the bitstamp website:

IF I DEPOSITED BITCOIN AFTER JANUARY 5TH 9AM UTC WILL THOSE DEPOSITS BE HONORED?
We are currently investigating any deposits made during the time of the breach and will reimburse all valid deposits upon confirmation. We will be in touch individually with affected customers. Please note wallet balances may initially appear lower as a result of the breach, but we will be honoring any missing bitcoin soon once legitimate deposits are validated.
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 11:06:02 PM

We are unfortunately unable to honor or credit any bitcoins sent to old deposit addresses after 5th of January 2015 (9 a.m. UTC). We notified customers that they should stop making deposits to previously issued bitcoin deposit addresses. We published a public notification on our website, Facebook page, Twitter feed and also sent personal email notifications to our users' addresses

I think that is total bullshit, first of all.

It might be true that they can't get to that address, but it also may be that they can and don't care about your plight. Or they can and already have. Fourth, it could be that the keys in question were compromised and someone else has those coins already.

The keys in question were compromised. Bitstamp was hacked in January 2015. On the 5th, it was reported that they lost 19,000 BTC in a compromise of their hot wallet.

Accordingly, they could not honor or credit any bitcoins sent to old deposit addresses after the compromise was discovered and publicly announced. Any bitcoins sent to these addresses are probably immediately swept by the hackers via script.

It sucks for the OP, but it's incumbent upon customers to check their deposit address every time they make a new deposit. People can't just endlessly send coins to compromised wallets and expect Bitstamp to cover the losses out of pocket. They already covered 19,000 BTC out of their own pockets back in 2015 over this.

Why would you send coins to a deposit address generated almost 3 years ago, without checking your Bitstamp deposit addresses first?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Gooch301104 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 11:21:29 PM

The mistake I made was not sending a small amount to the cancelled address, you say why did I not
Check my address first, I’ve had the same address at blockchain for over 4 years now, also my ripple address again 4 years , I don’t do checks every time I send there, as I don’t expect my address to be changed , in this instance at bitstamp I wish I had, this is not about passing blame, it’s to do with customer service and care, they have not
Demonstrated to me that they have tried to retrieve my wallet and access it, neither have they said that my wallet
Was compromised in any way by the hack, so when you say they have paid out of there own pocket, yes maybe to wallets that were hacked but mine was not one of them.
[YAZ]

Activity: 208
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:55:35 AM

The mistake I made was not sending a small amount to the cancelled address, you say why did I not
Check my address first, I’ve had the same address at blockchain for over 4 years now, also my ripple address again 4 years , I don’t do checks every time I send there, as I don’t expect my address to be changed , in this instance at bitstamp I wish I had, this is not about passing blame, it’s to do with customer service and care, they have not
Demonstrated to me that they have tried to retrieve my wallet and access it, neither have they said that my wallet
Was compromised in any way by the hack, so when you say they have paid out of there own pocket, yes maybe to wallets that were hacked but mine was not one of them.

If u have any balance in old deposit addresses before they hacked, maybe they will be paid out you back. But, in this case, u send bitcoin to hacked address (after 5th of January 2015 (9 a.m. UTC) ). But I hope, you will get your money back. Good Luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: