Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:18:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about ICO's  (Read 288 times)
jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:20:55 AM

I know this means initial coin offering.  I also know there is a section of it on this forum.

So what i want to know is this.  When something like this occurs and you want to take part in it, say whatever coin it is, how do you do it?  And when you do, do you need to give them a btc deposit on how much of that coin you want?  When would you know how much that coin costs? 

The thing is i want to use an example of a few coins.  For example, i know waves and shift are sort of new... well waves is not that new but shift is.  Well if i heard about waves, i probably would definitely buy this coin because it sounds very good.  Yes i know that sounds foolish to say.  But when waves and shift came out, how many shares do most ppl buy when it comes out?  Do you have to put a deposit before the coin comes out with btc such as i want x amount of waves or shift?  The other thing i want to know is how long does it take for a coin to come out and then it explodes to the point where everyone talks about it on the altcoin discussion or speculation?

And is that subforum here the only way to know about the new ico's?  The issue though is when i visit that subforum, it looks like a lot of spam etc.  Like there are posts everywhere and so many coins etc.  But is there a way to find out what new coins has come out recently?  But if he did come out recently, wouldn't that mean you didn't take part in the ico and you have to buy through an exchange?  Or this would not be possible though because its too early?

For example, when waves and shift came out, assuming you didn't take part in the ico... how soon could you buy waves and shift through bittrex?  Or could you buy it through their website?

The thing is i want to know of new coins that are coming out and then i would research it a bit and then would definitely be interested in buying some of these coins especially if they are very cheap.  I mean i can't believe coins like waves and shift in the history showed that they started out as 20 cents or 1 cent or even less than that etc.
Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:41:45 AM

I try to answer your questions one by one

So what i want to know is this.  When something like this occurs and you want to take part in it, say whatever coin it is, how do you do it?  And when you do, do you need to give them a btc deposit on how much of that coin you want?  When would you know how much that coin costs? 

The deposit methods depend on the project. Some projects only accept ETH deposits, while some projects accept a few coins and fiat for deposit methods. You have to check the website ask in ANN thread. Most of the projects are ETH based and accept ETH as payment methods, you only have to send ETH to the contract address and when the token is activated, the project token will be sent to you automatically through the smart contract.

There are a few pricing scheme. Most project fix their price and indicate price in the website (for example: 1ETH for xxx tokens). Whereas some projects set the price of coin based on the total amount collected (for example: Total collected amount $10,000,000 divide by Total supply of coins: 1,000,000 coins = $10 per coins).

And is that subforum here the only way to know about the new ico's? 

The sub forum is the place with most ICO projects but you are able to know about new project in websites such as ico alerts.
obizcoin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:04:11 AM

You can login to sites like https://icobench.com/ or https://icotracker.net/ to check the upcoming ICOs.

You can select the ICO you wish to invest in. Please follow a few investing rules before investing in ICOs
you can read a few articles on steemit
https://steemit.com/blockchain/@obizcoin/ico-investments-have-become-risky-10-things-to-check-before-investing-varun-shah-part-ii

Once you've selected the project you wish to invest in,
You can then login to the website and follow instructions for buying their tokens.
Most websites accept ETH and BTC

Before sending BTC and ETH to the depositing address, ensure you are sending it from compatible wallets.
If you send directly from exchanges, it might result in loss of funds. Please follow FAQs on ICO website.
Common wallet for sending ETH https://www.myetherwallet.com/

Once you've invested, you wait for the tokens to get listed. Then you can withdraw funds from the website wallet and transfer it to exchange where they will be listed.
and you can cash in your investment from there.
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 07:20:30 AM

There has been an explosion of ICO's lately while there has also been an explosion in technological reasoning so there are a tremendous number of proposals available from which to choose.  They have different structures, different time frames, and different protocols.  You can usually find most of the information on their ANN pages and websites.  Review the road map and dissect their white papers ---> due diligence is extremely important here because a GREAT majority of ICO's are scams or complete failures.

Don't get involved in an ICO unless you have the personal knowledge to completely and comprehensively understand the project's nature because there are some teams out there that can sling out the BS pretty convincingly!  If you are new to the alternative technologies that these ICO's are selling, rather than invest your own money, try investing your time instead and take advantage of their bounty programs ---> you will get the hang of it after awhile.
Caesar-Giulius

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:40:27 AM

I agree that there are alots of ICO projects going on. I don’t go through all the announcement threads as it is too time consuming. I pick the projects I am interested to invest in and read the announcement threads for updates.

As for how do you invest, you have to read the ICO website for instruction and the coin price.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████▀██████████████
█████████▄▄      ▀▀██▀╜  ▀▀███████████
████████████▄       ██   ▀^╓▀█████████
██████████████      ║█    ,▀██████████
█████████████▄▄      █▌   ████████████
████████████████▄     ▀█▄  ███████████
████████████████▀,,,    ╙▀▀█▀ ████████
█████████████████▀▀▀█▄▄       ████████
███████████████▀     ▀███████▀████████
██████████████▌       ▐█* ▀▓▀ ████████
████████████*██▄     ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄████████
██████████▀`  ▀██▄   ▀████████████████
████████▀`  ▄█████▌   ╙███████████████
████████▄,   ▀████ ,,,  "▀▀███████████
██████████,,,,, ╙█▄███▄▄,,,,╙▀████████
L B X.

■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■
The London Block Exchange
■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■

WDownload OnW
[.
          ▄▄█▀
         ███▀
   ▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████▄██████▌
▐██████████████▌
███████████████
▐██████████████▌
 ███████████████▌
  ██████████████▌
   ▀████▀▀▀████▀
/      ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▐
     ▄█▀████▀█▄
    ▐██████████▌
 ▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
 ▀▀ ████████████ ▀▀
    ▀██████████▀
      ▐██  ██▌
      ▐██  ██▌
]

OvidiuOancea

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:46:00 AM

In my opinion it is good to have many ICOs on the way. This is hope that many business-es will operate in the blockchain and the crypto world will develop. Otherwise will be just Bitcoin speculations. Of course a lot of them will fail because they are not prepared to run a business/project and they just lauch ICO and see afterwards how they will do the project. But some will be success.
v_Harley

Activity: 129
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 11:26:24 AM

Ico is initial investment block chain company, for the moment, I have seen is perhaps the best investment economy stratis and lisk, the two COINS have very big gains since the ico, investors are making a lot of money.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 03:12:50 PM

1.  Okay so i have questions on those examples i listed.  When waves and shift was going to offer their ICO, how long ago do they post a thread/announcement about it?  How long usually is there for people to think before investing in it?  Like for example if they post this waves or shift ico is coming out, typically how long do customers get before buying it such as okay you can no longer buy it anymore?  Also do certain icos get people buying it very quickly?  Such as when this ico announcement is out, you might not be able to get in on as it as soon as they post?  Or that is not possible?   But just to make sure of this, that ico needs x amount of money before the they release the coins right?  Or not?  Also typically on average what is the total price of the total coins of an ICO for customers to buy?  Like could an ICO be worth only 10k worth of shares if each each is like 0.0001 cents etc?

2.  Now this is what im curious about.  When waves and shift did their ico, when investors bought into it, how long did it take before they got their waves and shift?  Also i heard many icos are scams.  So basically by that you mean you invest in an ICO lets just say like shift.  But they could not give you any shift and just take your money.. is that correct?  Is that what is mean by an ico scam or not?  And if so, how often does this occur and is this common?  Or do they scam you another way?  That is what i thought the scam is. 

3.  The other thing i thought of is ... is ICO like people investing in funds so a coin could happen?  Like crowdfunding?  Such as they need x amount of money in order for the project to work?  But what if it doesn't hit that target number?  Do you just wait until it hits that target number?  Or do they cancel it if they don't hit it?  Do they take your moeny if they don't hit it?  Or are all the coins already there and this is basically you wanting a piece of those shares before they come out?

4.  Now let say you don't take part in an ICO as most don't and i read people say don't do it as most are scams or something similar.  Now let say you saw waves and shift ICO but did not take part in it.  How soon after they release the coins to the people who invested in it... can you buy those coins yourself?  For example, how long did it take before ico investors of waves and shift came out where you could buy some on bittrex?  And does it depend on the success of the coin?  Like how does a coin even hit bittrex since its a top exchange?  Like when waves came out, it was around 20 cents or so when i check the history.  How long after waves came out to ico investors could i buy waves on bittrex?  Or could i buy waves through say their website?  Or it does not work that way?

5.  And investing in ico is generally very risky right?  First being they could scam you and not give you coins?  Or its fake from the beginning and they making everything up?  Or they can't do that?  However, the benefit of ICO is you could get a coin that is say 20 cents but right before it hits bittrex, what would be the price of it?  I mean could a coin that is sold at ico for 20 cents each be 1 dollar already right before its posted on bittrex?  However that isn't possible right since no trading can be done before it gets put on an exchange?

6.  Because what i like to know is how these coins that are 20 cents and 1 cent... how soon would i be able to get them on bittrex if i didn't invest in the ico since most don't. 

7.  And how soon can we know if an ico is successful early?  For example say a coin comes out and its 25 cents.  It goes up to 1.25 for example.  I know you can check it on coinmarketcap but do threads about a certain coin booming right after its posted on bittrex get posted much in the altcoin discussion/speculation forum?  Because that is usually how i found out about certain altcoins.
krdcwplgf

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 03:18:52 PM

The price does not necessarily reflect the value.
If it is long-term investment, then it must be the value of investment-based. This sentence on the ICO, the same applies. ALTCOIN, a malicious speculation, usually lasts for three months. In addition, the risk of the ICO is very high. Let me cite an example, such as ENJ, which currently costs less than half the average price of an ICO.
BogdanGFTP

Activity: 504
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 03:22:41 PM

It's not good time for investing in ICO's this autumn, every new coin drop down when it comes to exchanges. I know only 1 good project which will launch ICO this year.
warrior333

Activity: 406
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 03:27:49 PM

Investing in ICO it is always risky. You never know whether this coin is a Scam. It seems to me that if you are a beginner it makes no sense to start investing in the ICO. Find another way of earning. It seems to me that a Large number of scams in ICO makes to change the rules in this market. ICO already there with the money back guarantee. Maybe in the future this way of investment will be more secure.
Fatunad

Activity: 2240
Merit: 353

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 03:32:17 PM

I know this means initial coin offering.  I also know there is a section of it on this forum.

The thing is i want to use an example of a few coins.  For example, i know waves and shift are sort of new... well waves is not that new but shift is.  Well if i heard about waves, i probably would definitely buy this coin because it sounds very good.  Yes i know that sounds foolish to say.  But when waves and shift came out, how many shares do most ppl buy when it comes out?  Do you have to put a deposit before the coin comes out with btc such as i want x amount of waves or shift?  The other thing i want to know is how long does it take for a coin to come out and then it explodes to the point where everyone talks about it on the altcoin discussion or speculation?

And is that subforum here the only way to know about the new ico's?  The issue though is when i visit that subforum, it looks like a lot of spam etc.  Like there are posts everywhere and so many coins etc.  But is there a way to find out what new coins has come out recently?  But if he did come out recently, wouldn't that mean you didn't take part in the ico and you have to buy through an exchange?  Or this would not be possible though because its too early?

For example, when waves and shift came out, assuming you didn't take part in the ico... how soon could you buy waves and shift through bittrex?  Or could you buy it through their website?

The thing is i want to know of new coins that are coming out and then i would research it a bit and then would definitely be interested in buying some of these coins especially if they are very cheap.  I mean i can't believe coins like waves and shift in the history showed that they started out as 20 cents or 1 cent or even less than that etc.

ICO- Initial Coin offering which this is the best time to buy on a certain coin on its possible lowest price or discounted price but talking on being listed on exchanges would really depend on how the developer would update his own creation or token.This is always been part of the risk and when we buy a coin their ANN page would display or tell the investors on what would be the equivalent of tokens you would recieve if you decide to depositt btc. XXXX BTC= XXXX token. It would depend on its pricing. The thing here is that we should select on those potential ones which we can see that would really sustain for long.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
minbosen

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 03:35:03 PM

It is not so easy to answer all your questions since the ICO involved decision can be made according to different reasons, and different people have different strategies. I think you should learn by yourself.

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████