Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:37:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Differences of the 2013 - 2014 Era and Now in Altcoins  (Read 249 times)
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1419

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 11:11:29 AM

Hey guys, just sharing this nice interview with Jared Tate of Digibyte made by Chris de Rose.  Before you watch it, let me tell you that de Rose was one of the earlier Bitcoiners who were quick to call and prove (to a point) an altcoin project a scam.  He did a good job imo, but now it seems he's more open to some of the altcoins that are actually trying to build something.

Enjoy.  Smiley

DigiByte - Lessons Learned on the crypto long haul with Jared Tate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKOdo8PbpDY

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:11:43 AM

Crickets?  Lol.

I wasn't expecting no reaction as the reaction.  It shows that the people in the altcoin sub these days don't care for the quality behind a project anymore.  This sub used to be a lot smarter than it is now.  What happened?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:27:11 AM

Crickets?  Lol.

I wasn't expecting no reaction as the reaction.  It shows that the people in the altcoin sub these days don't care for the quality behind a project anymore.  This sub used to be a lot smarter than it is now.  What happened?
You just have to look at the amount of money piles into any old ICO now to realise that no one cares about the quality of the projects.

Most alts exist as a pump and dump, they offer nothing to the user compared to the other thousand alts that are already available.  I do think that some things are different now compared to the past. Obviously the market caps is one thing, there is a $1bill market cap coins that I have never heard of and loads of $100mill coins that I have never heard of. 

Unlike 2013, there are now storage coins, anonymous coins, smart contract coins, tokens, DAG, non-mineable coins and the old school bitcoin clones, amongst others no doubt. It is still the wild west though, I wouldn't trust many of them not to run off with my money.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:32:27 AM

Crickets?  Lol.

You just have to look at the amount of money piles into any old ICO now to realise that no one cares about the quality of the projects.

Most alts exist as a pump and dump, they offer nothing to the user compared to the other thousand alts that are already available.  I do think that some things are different now compared to the past. Obviously the market caps is one thing, there is a $1bill market cap coins that I have never heard of and loads of $100mill coins that I have never heard of. 

Unlike 2013, there are now storage coins, anonymous coins, smart contract coins, tokens, DAG, non-mineable coins and the old school bitcoin clones, amongst others no doubt. It is still the wild west though, I wouldn't trust many of them not to run off with my money.
It has changed dramatically especially with the ICO trend it seems just easy to create a token and put out an ICO with virtually nothing to show or back the idea up.

I greatly miss the chance to rent some hash and get in early on a coin, sadly a lot of new people will be swept up by token ICOs and never experience old school altcoins.
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 07:38:35 AM

The big difference is at least there was actual code uploaded and released on Github.  These days it's only a white paper and they piggy back their tokens in buggy platforms like Ethereum.  And the funny part is they get millions in funding.  Did the community just got a lot more stupid?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:00:09 PM

The big difference is at least there was actual code uploaded and released on Github.  These days it's only a white paper and they piggy back their tokens in buggy platforms like Ethereum.  And the funny part is they get millions in funding.  Did the community just got a lot more stupid?

But are they stupid? Most of the newbies only really know have experience of the prices rising.  In the case of Bitcoin people who weren't around in 2014 seem to think that the price will rise forever without ever having a prolonged fall.  The Netflix Bitcoin documentary is really funny, they apparently finished filming when the price was sub $300 and thought it was over. No one wanted to buy and they even said that the name was toxic and a new start was needed.

People now just see that ICOs come out and skyrocket in price. It doesn't matter if the project is trustworthy, worthwhile or even good, they just buy in and wait to cash out.  If you invest in a load of crap and make loads of money, are you making bad investments?

I too used to like getting in early on the new coins, I have been going through my old harddrive and looking at some of the old wallets. Minicoin, Frozen, Animecoin, Dougcoin and Quark were all there, you can guess that I was a CPU coins guy! Only 2 of them are even still alive now, and Quark is the only one that is alive and kicking. It shows me that there was a lot of crap in 2013 too.
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 10:54:40 AM

Yup that's true as well, but if you noticed the '2013 - 2014 crap holders' were a lot smarter than the ICO chasers we have today.  Judging by how they make their posts, there are lots of people who simply don't care if you read their posts or not nowadays.  They just make stupid posts and don't care to argue.

During the 2013 - 2014 era, it was all arguments and debate all day, and you also got the trolls who did it like it was an art form.  Good times.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
coingrow

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 11:27:24 AM

One thing that I noticed while looking at the history of crypto charts was the huge sum of money that came into crypto during the last 1-1.5 years. Crypto was hardly a 10 Bil market 15 months back and look at it now, we are crossing 200BIL, that is 20x in 15 months. Isn't that amazing.

sakokinak

Activity: 518
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 08:23:29 PM

2013-2014 years was the era when all could mine for Bitcoin, using even his usual laptop or a desktop. Altcoins just appeared and a rare person believed in their future. They could appear and vanish. Now investing into alts you can earn even more than investing into BTC.
MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 08:26:54 PM

Well i have been in here and i can make you sure that this has changed a lot, not only for altcoins, the whole industry has changed a lot during the last few years.

Now it is like a service forum, everybody is in here to earn money, and that is the main reason of why there are so many ico's right now, including those annoying tokens that sometimes are on the market, who does not even last more than a week listed in there.

But this has been the biggest year for altcoins, specially because most of them did more than x3 during this year, and those who were big like ethereum, did more than 1300% of their first price on January.

Hello
Noxmfs

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2017, 08:41:34 PM

Kinda depends of what you talk about.
If you are talking about current state of this subforum it's clear that most of the people wouldn't care about what they post since mostly it's for bounties.
I've been lurking here since 3 years now and never really bothered to make an account because it was way more important for me to read other people's thoughts on a topic and being a neutral.
However if you talk about Alts in general, things are getting over exposed by media lately and more and more people are joing the "cryptoverse".
Back then people who were screaming that crypto is FUD are now literally racing to get in crypto.
godzillarekt007

Activity: 266
Merit: 106

Floki Robot

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 08:49:10 PM

Overall yes the community had to have gotten stupider. I mean lets look at facts bitcoin and altcoins have exploded this year and with all that money came new individuals too. The first individuals to grace this industry were

enthuisiasts and those know generally knew code or wanted to get good at something like that. Now you have people who literally want to bang out a quick profit and because of that you got stupider people, greedier people,

and less critically thinking people. With all this known it is no wonder these ICOs ran token generation events and them effed right off. I wish I could have been around for the good ol days that would have been fun to see.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: