Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:04:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cons of trading in a different currency?  (Read 161 times)
SweetAudrina (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 11:50:59 AM

I'm in the UK and have been trading in GBP. I've looked at the US market however and it appears much more lively. So my question is, if I start trading in USD will I incur too many charges to make it worthwhile?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 12:17:49 PM

I'm in the UK and have been trading in GBP. I've looked at the US market however and it appears much more lively. So my question is, if I start trading in USD will I incur too many charges to make it worthwhile?

Are you trading with fiat only?
Why not trade with ETH?

Usually goes like this for me.
Bank transfer SEPA(a few euros fee) -> to Coinbase  -> ( instant and free) to Gdax -> trade EUR to ETH( about 0.30 % fee) -> trade on other markets.
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 12:25:08 PM

It mostly depends on how you do it, but you will incur some fees due to the FIAT conversion nevertheless.
If you use your bank to convert your GBP to USD (assuming they allow you to do so), they will most likely set their own exchange rate which will be a bit higher.
Really though, you could just buy BTC with GBP, trade in the BTC/USD market and then when you want to withdraw, convert back to GBP and do so. That's probably the better way imo.
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 12:43:33 PM

Why not trade with ETH?

because anyone who has ever traded in cryptocurrency markets wanted either to increase his money (fiat) or increase his bitcoins. that is why only the two markets are high volume.

the benefit is that if you make more money, well you are making more money.
but if you make more bitcoin, bitcoin itself rises up every month and you make an additional profit on monthly basic on that.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 01:06:53 PM

Why not trade with ETH?

because anyone who has ever traded in cryptocurrency markets wanted either to increase his money (fiat) or increase his bitcoins. that is why only the two markets are high volume.

the benefit is that if you make more money, well you are making more money.
but if you make more bitcoin, bitcoin itself rises up every month and you make an additional profit on monthly basic on that.

I meant if he only traded fiat/fiat. Since I interpret "I'm in the UK and have been trading in GBP" as fiat only.
In that case he could have profited more by trading crypto currencies, because the fiat markets doesn't fluctuates as much as the crypto market.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: